Posted By
babs_press
Oct 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
I have a customized font, it is not an open type font, and there are built in ligatures in this postscript font. How do I activate the ligatures in photoshop. For Example..I have a ligature built into the font for ff, but when I type those two letters, I just get the separated ones, not the ligature. how can you activate built in ligatures in a postscript font?
thanks so much..
babs

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Oct 23, 2008
You can’t. Photoshop does not have that kind of typographic control as InDesign does. Photoshop will not do the font substitution automatically for you.

You should, however, be able to type each ligature glyph individually if you know the key combination to access it, rather than the two glyphs for the letter pair.

If you need this kind of typographic control, you should definitely not be using Photoshop to set your text. Photoshop is an image editing application, not a page layout program.
DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 23, 2008
Or try setting the type in a ligature-aware program (InDesign, Illustrator) and pasting into Photoshop.
R
Ram
Oct 23, 2008
Yep, that should work, Doug.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 23, 2008
If the typeface defines the ligatures, Photoshop should use them automatically.

But it depends on the ligature tables in the font.
VB
Vinod Balakrishnan
Oct 27, 2008
If Photoshop can recognize the ligature tables in the font, corresponding Opentype->Ligature menu will be enabled in the character palette flyout menu. If the menu is enabled, you can select the text and choose the ligature menu to enable those ligatures. Font doesn’t need to be shown as open type font in the font menu to use this feature.

-Vinod
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 27, 2008
That’s good to know Vinod.

It never occurred to me to look there.
DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 27, 2008
Yes. OP specified a PostScript font, however.
R
Ram
Oct 27, 2008
Β…and specifically wrote "it is not an open type font".
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 27, 2008
PostScript fonts could specify ligatures, and I know we used to use them automatically. But Vinod knows the current type code a lot better than I do.
P
PECourtejoie
Oct 28, 2008
Great to see you back around here, and I do not remember ever "meeting" Vinod here… so… Welcome, and thanks for sharing!!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections