HH
Posted By
Harvey_Hessler
Jan 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am going to purchase a new lap top. I currently have CS2 on my desktop and would like to also install it on the laptop. Can I do this, or am I expected to purchase another complete CS2?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 14, 2007
I think you can, according to the End User License Agreement. There’s a copy in the Legal folder in the Photoshop folder.
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Jan 14, 2007
Yes, you can install one on the desktop and one on the laptop. The only thing you’re NOT supposed to do is use them both at the same time.
HH
Harvey_Hessler
Jan 14, 2007
What do you mean by not using them at the same time?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 14, 2007
In theory you can’t be doing something in Photoshop on one computer and your friend doing something else on the other using the same license.

Or you could be editing something on one computer and running a large batch action on the other. That would probably be prohibited as well, maybe, I think. Hard to say.
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 14, 2007
But, just to be realistic, how would they know?
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 14, 2007
They wouldn’t. But that’s the reason for activation.

Bob
HH
Harvey_Hessler
Jan 15, 2007
How would one get around the activation on the second machine?
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 15, 2007
You are allowed two simultaneous activations.

Read the EULA!
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jan 15, 2007
From the EULA: 2.4 Portable or Home Computer Use. The primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer.

So, you are allowed to have two simultaneous activations, but do not confuse that as meaning you are allowed simulatneous use of both computers on which Photoshop is installed. The 2nd activation does not control whether or not the two systems are used simultaneously, but it does at least limit two systems to being used without requiring an activation transfer (for PS CS2). That is, if you were to install PS to a 3rd system and attempted to launch PS, you would be prompted to activate it but would then find the activation denied since the two allowed activations had been used. The only legal way to use PSCS2 on that 3rd system would be to perform the Transfer Activation from one of the other 2 systems so as to free up the activation for use on the 3rd system.

If a single user chooses to simultaneously run Photoshop on two computers, they can do so but it is technically and legally a violation of the EULA. There are no provisions in place to prevent that from happening as anything of that nature would require some kind of network connection between the two computers. Have I ever run PS simultaneously on two networked PCs? Generally no, but I’m sure I have at one time or another just to quickly look at a file or perform some other sort of operation on the 2nd computer. While I was in violation of the license, I didn’t worry about it. It is unlikely that Adobe likely would waste their resources enforcing that aspect of the license on a single user. To do so would require that they have some way of monitoring use of those computers, which in turn means each computer would be actively providing some kind of status to Adobe over the internet or similar such connection. That is the kind of thing that would be greatly frowned upon by their customer base and I think would likely cause a real backlash against the company, resulting in sales losses.

The EULA is written in legalese that establishes hard rules. However, I am of the opinion that EULAs are really intended to be interpreted within reasonable limits of practicality. There is nothing at all wrong with using Photoshop concurrently on 2 computers if it is just an occasional activity and for non-professional (no income stream from said activity), exclusive use by the primary user. When I say "nothing at all wrong", what I mean is that there is no negative impact upon Adobe and nothing for them to gain in rigidly enforcing the EULA.

But if you are a professional who is running PS simultaneously on 2 systems for the purpose of significantly enhanced productivity, then just as you are doing so to help boost your profits it is reasonable that Adobe might expect you to boost their profits through purchasing a 2nd or volume license of Photoshop (Personally, I feel such a license should be at a significantly reduced cost). I’m sure there are many professionals who do violate this constraint of EULA and I’ll bet Adobe still doesn’t really worry about enforcing it. Of far greater concern and impact to Adobe’s profits are those who flagrantly violate the EULA through sofware piracy or, in the pre-activation era, businesses who install a single license of Photoshop onto multiple systems for use by their employees. With the implementation of activation and restriction of the single-user retail license to two systems, Adobe has curbed much of that flagrant abuse without seriously impacting the normal user.

Regards,

Daryl

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections