RE
Posted By
Ruth_Esteves
May 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed PE 2.0 after using a try-out version. Now, when I open a document (new or not), it opens way at the top of the screen, partially hidden by the shortcut, menu and tool bars. When I reset the palette positions, it pushed the shortcut bar up under the menu bar, but the document window opened in the right place. Then, I repositioned the shortcut and tools bars and the document window opens way at the top again. This is very weird. Any thoughts? I’m running Mac OS 9.2.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
May 7, 2004
First, did you uninstall the tryout version before installing the retail package? If not, go in and delete both applications as well as the Preference folders in System>Preferences. Now reinstall PSE 2.

If you had removed the tryout version, try deleting the current Preference folder. You can either do that manually or use this shortcut: With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a quick grab for the Command, Option, and Shift keys. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. A new folder will rebuild as Elements continues to launch. Actually, my machine is just fast enough so that I find it works better to get my fingers on those three keys before hitting the Elements icon.

If this doesn’t clear the problem, please repost.
RE
Ruth_Esteves
May 7, 2004
I had already uninstalled the try-out, so I deleted the settings folder and that did it. Thanks so much, Beth! I’m going to print out your solution and keep it in my user guide!
BH
Beth_Haney
May 7, 2004
Do that, Ruth, because I can almost guarantee you’ll need it again! The preferences for this software (both versions) have a tendency to become corrupted, although no one really knows why. Whenever you have a situation where something that used to work correctly quits working right, dig out your notes and try this first. It usually works.

By the way, I suspect you took off the tryout version but didn’t get the Preference folder deleted. The new version was just picking up the old one, which had become corrupted somewhere along the line during the changeover.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections