RE
Posted By
Ralph_Eisenberg
Oct 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I set File Type Associations for PSD, Tiff, DNG and Jpeg fles in Bridge CS4 so that my files will open in PS CS3 (and insure that the same file associations apply in Bridge CS3), this works as it should from within CS4 and CS3, but it is impossible to introduce a system-wide change in Mac OS 10.5.5 via File-Info. It always reverts to CS4 for these file types, if I try to ‘modify all’. The same thing happened when I upgraded from CS2 to CS3.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 21, 2008
I think that is how it is MEANT to be.

If you install a newer version it is assumed that that is because you wish to use it!

If you want to open files with the older version you have to do an "Open with …" from Bridge.
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Oct 21, 2008
If File Type Associations are set properly in the Bridge preferences, the default setting can be made to open files in PS CS3, with CS4 installed. This works from within CS3 and CS4. However, it sometimes happens that one is in the Finder, and the default remains PS CS4, however much one tries (via File-Get Info) to modify the default system-wide settings so that these files open in CS3. In any event, a bit invasive. Of course, if I could get comfortable with the Adjustment Layer Panels, all this would be unnecessary, but for the moment, there appear to be too many clicks, and it is going to take some time, so I don’t want to burn bridges. Perhaps there is also some ambiguity in my mind as to what the pointing finger in the new Curves dialogue box is trying to tell me.

But thank, once again Anne, for your help.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 21, 2008
Perhaps there is also some ambiguity in my mind as to what the pointing finger in the new Curves dialogue box is trying to tell me.

It’s a new tool. Click on it to select the tool then click in your image to set a corresponding point on the Curve. Click and Slide in the image to change the values up or down or sideways in real time while looking at the image itself. This works in several other Adjustment layers too!

The new Adjustment Panel is more efficient than the old way — it’s just necessary for one to take the time to master it’s use. And you can still choose an Adjustment Layer from the drop-down menu in the layers Panel if you wish to.

Regarding the Finder: you will truly find it so much better if you set Bridge to open on boot-up and keep it Open and use it — and mostly ignore the Finder!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 21, 2008
Perhaps there is also some ambiguity in my mind as to what the pointing finger in the new Curves dialogue box is trying to tell me.

It’s a new tool. Click on it to select the tool then click in your image to set a corresponding point on the Curve. Click and Slide in the image to change the values up or down or sideways in real time while looking at the image itself. This works in several other Adjustment layers too!

The new Adjustment Panel is more efficient than the old way — it’s just necessary for one to take the time to master it’s use. And you can still choose an Adjustment Layer from the drop-down menu in the layers Panel if you wish to.

Regarding the Finder: you will truly find it so much better if you set Bridge to open on boot-up and keep it Open and use it — and mostly ignore the Finder!
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Oct 21, 2008
It seems to me that if I indicate to my system OS my preference for the default opening program for specific files in the Finder, this should not be preempted and overridden by CS4, particularly when CS4 respects this preference in Bridge.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 21, 2008
This may allow you to designate file extensions to a specific app, It doesn’t work on folder architecture though… <http://mac.clauss-net.de/misfox/>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections