SF
Posted By
Scott_Falkner
Jan 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m researching a new scanner purchase to replace a busted Epson Expression 1640 XL. A similar workstation has an Epson Expression 10000 XL

What we want:
* Good D-range. We’ll be scanning pictures from various sources, often crappy C-prints from cheap point-and-shoot cameras or even inkjet prints of digital images (I know!). We’d like to be able to preserve as much dynamic range as we can.

* >24 bit. Again, to preserve dynamic range and give us as much original data to work with as possible.

* Calibration. The Epsons come with Lasersoft Silverfast AI. Not bad, but a shabby interface that’s long overdue or a fix. Buggy, too. I’ve experienced bugs with every version, and there seems to be little incentive to fix them. Still, it’s better than any manufacturer’s software.

* Not Hewlett-Packard. Man, do their scanner suck, and the software is the rock-bottom worst scanning software I have ever used.

* Windows XP compatible (dammit), and Photoshop plug-in compatible.

* Batch scanning. The Epsons have a 12×18 scanning bed and, with Silverfast, I can preview and scan 8 4×6 photos in one batch. Nice, and a must-have feature.

* Firewire, preferably. USB 2 otherwise.

* Transparency adapter would be a nice plus, but I have that with the 10K, so not a huge deal.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RB
Robert_Barnett
Jan 12, 2007
I have the Epson V700 and like it a lot. It has gotten very high marks. The Epson software is very good and Silverfast comes with it too.

Robert
SF
Scott_Falkner
Jan 12, 2007
Maximum Read Area
* 8.5" x 11.7" (216 x 297mm)

Too bad.
T
Talker
Jan 12, 2007
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:16:37 -0800,
wrote:

I’m researching a new scanner purchase to replace a busted Epson Expression 1640 XL. A similar workstation has an Epson Expression 10000 XL

What we want:
* Good D-range. We’ll be scanning pictures from various sources, often crappy C-prints from cheap point-and-shoot cameras or even inkjet prints of digital images (I know!). We’d like to be able to preserve as much dynamic range as we can.

* >24 bit. Again, to preserve dynamic range and give us as much original data to work with as possible.

* Calibration. The Epsons come with Lasersoft Silverfast AI. Not bad, but a shabby interface that’s long overdue or a fix. Buggy, too. I’ve experienced bugs with every version, and there seems to be little incentive to fix them. Still, it’s better than any manufacturer’s software.

* Not Hewlett-Packard. Man, do their scanner suck, and the software is the rock-bottom worst scanning software I have ever used.

* Windows XP compatible (dammit), and Photoshop plug-in compatible.
* Batch scanning. The Epsons have a 12×18 scanning bed and, with Silverfast, I can preview and scan 8 4×6 photos in one batch. Nice, and a must-have feature.

* Firewire, preferably. USB 2 otherwise.

* Transparency adapter would be a nice plus, but I have that with the 10K, so not a huge deal.

What price range?

Talker
NF
Nick_Ferenti
Apr 13, 2007
Scott are you saying that even though the Epson scanning bed is 12x 18,the maximum read area is still 8.5 x 11.7 ?
I was thinking of exchanging my Canoscan 8400F for an Epson. I have 3000 older prints to scan and archive to slideshow. I was even going to suggest to place 3 vertical rows of 4×6 prints,which would give you 9 print ability. Would you use the Crop and straighten comand in PS CS2 to seperate and file. I was also thinking of using PS CS2 and Vuescan pro version,then using 2 scanners which would save the pics to 2 seperate hard drives.Is that possible? Thanks in advance
AN
Alfredo_Neri
Apr 14, 2007
How do you change TWAIN-compliant application epsom scanner

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections