Posted By
Grant_Dixon
May 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First thoughts on my new hateful digi.

I am familiar with Nikons and I felt very much at home with the controls on the D70. After on half hour of playing with the menu I was reasonably familiar with these settings. This is not to say I know the difference between fine, normal, and basic image quality but that I do know how to select them. Hopefully knowing the nitty-gritty of the difference will come with use. Everything is so familiar that so far I have only had to open the manual for one feature. I had to go, appropriately enough to page 13, because I couldn’t figure out how to attach the neck strap. You have to hate it when it is so complicated that you must read the manual.

While the build is good it is not up to the calibre of my Nikon F90 or F5 but that is to be expected as it is based on the F70 body. It fits well in my hands, because they are small hands, it fits me better than the F5 but then not quite as well as an F90, all in all a very comfortable fit. Although it is a light plastic body it is surprisingly well balanced with the Nikkor 35 – 70 mm f2.8 macro lens attached.

This morning I set the camera to my preferences. Turning off things like image review, flash pop-up, focus assist lamp, set sharpening to "non" and so on and so on. I want to take control, not Nikon! Finally I set the camera to Aperture priority. This morning, after a very busy yesterday I, did manage to snap a few of some flowers in my garden. The first thing I noticed is the warm up time, The camera was ready to shoot in a shorter time that it took me to move my finger from the on/off switch to over the shutter button and a distance of about 1/4 inch. Thank god it attains focus or it would be back in the shop – I have had nothing but problems with digitals and focus. Not only is the auto focus accurate but also it is fast. Switching to manual focus is aided by a "rangefinder" and that is also accurate. The viewing screen is darker than what I am use to but still very acceptable. The Matrix meter is as good as any Nikon SLR’s (film that is) with the exception of the F5. I suspect I will be using my handheld light meter less often with this camera.

The images I got were … well … very good with some caveats. So far the quality is the best Digital I have seen but not as good as film. Please take into account I haven’t seen images taken from all digital cameras. While they will make an exceptional 8 x 10 they will not do this with cropping. With limited cropping they will make acceptable 8 x 10. While the images are very crisp there is a certain softness to them and should make very attractive portraits . Film still gives more bang in this area but the gap is not as great as what I would have expected.

So far the big disappointment in this camera is the wimpy sound of the shutter. My F5 shakes the ground when it goes off warning the world to get out of the way as I am a photographer! The D70 is a wimpy Oliver Twist "Please sir … can I take more?" Who knows maybe in the manual they will have an over ride for this.

Two surprises! First the depth of field is closer to a real SLR than a digital. For me this is a blessing but it will take a bit of digital relearning. The second is the nonsense about the 1.5 lens factor. To get the same angle of view as a 35 mm the 1.5 factor works, so a 35 mm lens on a digi gives the same coverage as a 50 mm lens on a film camera. But when it comes to magnification it is not the same looking through the view finder of a 50 mm lens gives the same magnification in either cameras. For those that want to do birding your 200 mm lens will not give the same magnification as a 300 mm!

How does this cameras stack up with a real SLR? I am not sure you should even compare film to digital as they do address two completely different needs in photography. My main complaint with digital up to now has been costly cameras that didn’t live up to my expectations. For $1500 you can have the Digital version of a $360 SLR. Digi SLR cameras are still costly they this one, so far, is behaving as I expect a camera to. On balance what you give up in image quality your will gain in convenience. What you don’t want to do is compare a D70 against a F100 at the same price. My advice is first body film, second body digital … but that is how I think.

I opened with the term "new hateful digi" This sort of a joke but the fact is it will have to earn a better title as everyone knows I have not been a big fan of Digital cameras. I do have guarded optimism for this new Camera.

g.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JF
Jodi_Frye
May 4, 2004
wow, knowing you as I do…you DO like your new camera….and you’ve barely used it…that would be 2 thumbs up for me….as much as you would hate to admit it.
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 4, 2004
Jodi

Don’t read too much into it … it is still a hateful digi. 😉

Grant
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 4, 2004
<leaning hand on head and rolling eyes upward with a sigh emoticon>
LK
Leen_Koper
May 4, 2004
…..I suspect I will be using my handheld light
meter less often with this camera……

Grant, forget it.
You will use the handheld light meter MORE often with a dSLR. At least, in my experience, I use it more and more often as the results of a handheld meter, provided one knows how to interprete the outcome, will often provide better results than the built in one, especially when the subject is backlit.
And I use a Nikon too, although the camera tries to tell me it ‘s a Fuji. 😉

Leen
DS
Dick_Smith
May 4, 2004
Ok, so where are a few images from this "hateful" digi?

We wait in anticipation.

Dick
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
May 4, 2004
Wow! Grant took the plunge. Congratulations. I think you’ll learn to ‘live’ with it over time, even if you never come to ‘love’ it. And we’ll expect more pictures from you now that you no longer have to deal with film to digital conversion or your other ‘hateful’ digi.

As to ‘crop’ factor, yes, the lens never changes (magnification or otherwise). But if you print an 8 x 12 from a full frame camera using a 75mm lens, and an 8 x 12 from your D70 using a 50mm lens, I think your framing would be pretty close. The 1.5 or 1.6 ‘X’ is misleading, but useful when thinking about framing, particularly on the WIDE end. In 35mm, I thought a 28mm lens was really pretty wide and a 24mm, WELL, that was almost going too far. On the DRebel, 24mm isn’t near wide enough for lots of the stuff I like to do, and there have been a couple of times when I’ve found myself backed into a corner with a 17mm lens!
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 4, 2004
Dick, look under the ‘Hold your breath ‘ thread for Grant’s first images.
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 4, 2004
"you no longer have to deal with film"

John

That is like a dagger through my heart. 😉 After all the digital is just the back up camera.

Grant
DS
Dick_Smith
May 4, 2004
Got it Jodi, thanks
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
May 4, 2004
Now Grant – take that stake back out of your heart, because you took my comment out of context, you! 🙂 I said ‘no longer have to deal with film to digital conversion’ (ie. it’s easier/faster to get images you can post in the challenge).

Still, a prediction: Grant’s backup camera will become ‘first string’ before he knows it.
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 4, 2004
You said it John ! As his thread says in disguise "he has seen the light"….I told him all he needed was a ‘real’ digital 🙂
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 5, 2004
Grant, that’s an ‘aha!’ on the 1.5 factor (1.6 on the Canon). I’ve been scratching my head for months trying to understand why my 300 mm lens doesn’t really magnify like a 480 mm lens like it’s supposed to. It’s a coverage thing, not a magnification thing. Thanks!

Chuck

p.s. You’ll be all right with the D70 so long as you don’t have to take too many pictures of people in seersucker suits… (see steves digicams for elaboration)

🙂
J
jhjl1
May 5, 2004
And I just sent mine to the cleaners Chuck!

Great photos Grant, I hope you get lots of enjoyment from your "hateful" dslr.

A good read:
http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/21286.html?cprose=d aily

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/

wrote in message

many pictures of people in seersucker suits… (
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 5, 2004
Chuck

Any matrix superimposed upon any other matrix under certain conditions will create a moiré pattern. A friend of mine uses a 60D for a very, very long time before she ran into this dreaded pattern. So don’t be too cocky as one day the blotchy bug will spring up and bite you on the digital ass. I just happen to know this could happen before hand.

g.
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 5, 2004
One more thing about the D70 that anyone thinking of purchasing one should be aware of . The kit lens will fit on a film camera but the vignette is so bad that it is only usable on the digital camera. That is the reason I didn’t buy it as I wanted to hedge my bets on lenses.

g.
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 5, 2004
No Jodi … it says "first light" which is an astronomical term for the first time an optical instrument is put to the test.

g.
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 5, 2004
Grant,

Like you I’m still not sure about things Digital. I made a very acceptable living in the world of computers from 1963 to 2000. However, that was the world of information, not art.

My background in imaging is videography, not photography. I switched from analogue to digital (very comparable to film to digital) in 1999. Now I don’t face the degradation of my work but there seems to be a sterility to what I shoot with digital compared to Hi8.

The same can be said for my efforts to scan and archive old memories from slides. They are subtly better than anything I currently shoot with my little Olympus. I guess part of that is the quality of the equipment.

I notice the same with digital music. A certain loss of life between CD’s and well preserved LP’s.

On the other side of the argument is the ability to immediately learn from one’s mistakes or lack of skill in composition (A problem you obviously don’t have). With digital I take a shot, look at what I’ve done, hopefully realize what I could have done better, and try again (if possible).

Then there is the fact that I almost have a darkroom on my PC. I would never have learned anything about improving a picture without digital.

Today we live in a digital world with all it’s benefits and some of it’s loss. But I’m still a bit of a dinosaur.

Bob
CC
cal_cowen
May 5, 2004
Grant you said

While they will make an exceptional 8 x 10 they will not do this with cropping. With limited cropping they will make acceptable 8 x 10.

Could you expand on that a bit as I’m not sure I fully understand though I think I have an inkling of what you mean.

Glad you like the camera. The photos you posted were lovely.

Cal
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 5, 2004
Robert

A man after my own heart!

Grant
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 5, 2004
Grant,

You even have the same tulip. Beautiful pictures and composition.

Bob ("Robert" Wish I could change that user name.)
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 5, 2004
Cal

With the dSLR there is a certain amount of cropping that is necessary to create an 8"x10" print as the aspect ratios are not the same. For a Nikon an image just cropped so aspect ratios are the same will yield measurements of 2000 x 2500 pixels. For an 8"x10" image that gives a resolution of 250 pixels an inch (suspend the fact that dpi and ppi are different for a moment). The human eye, on average, can resolve to 100 line pairs per inch. It takes two pixels to make a line pair so we need a minimum of 200 ppi to reach limit of resolution. The 6 meg dSLR deliver 125 line pairs per inch, so there is a small buffer. Cropping the image of a dSLR will you can see can soon erode this buffer and then start to degrade the image’s resolution.

Grant
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
May 5, 2004
Cal, there is an interesting article about digital vs film here: <http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/dq.shtml>

The explanation gets quite technical, but if you want to ‘cut to the chase’ scroll down to ‘The results’. If you accept the hypothesis (and not everyone does), then the comparison of digital to film must include such things as number of pixels and size of sensor. If 35mm Fuji Provia 100F+ is deemed 1.00 on a quality scale, then the Digital Rebel (and other cameras with a similar pixel count/sensor size) is given a 0.73.

Of note is the assertion that a full-size sensor camera of the likes of the Canon 1Ds is 1.03, or BETTER than film.

Of course, these are just mathematical calculations. The real proof is in the print-pudding. Though I no longer have a 35mm film camera to do a direct comparison, I have had the lab do some 8 x 12" prints from the Digital Rebel that I would certainly not be ashamed to hang on my wall next to some of my enlargements from film.
LK
Leen_Koper
May 5, 2004
This is an endless debate.
Why don’t we accept digital to be different from film? When it comes to extremely fine detail,like hair in a portrait, film might be superior to a 6 Mpx camera, but when there are hardly any extremely fine details, like in the skin, digital is by far superior.

Compare a sky, shot on film with fine grain to a "digital" sky and you will know why digital can be superior.

Life is about making the right choices at the right time, according to philosopher Leen

Leen
CC
cal_cowen
May 5, 2004
Grant and John, thankyou both, there is so much to learn but I will keep plodding on

Cal ( one of these days I’ll even post some pics!)
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 5, 2004
Grant, when I see seersucker coming, I run the other way….of course, that has nothing to do with digital photography…
🙂
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 5, 2004
Chuck

Have you ever seen Sophie’s Choice? There is a really rude but really funny line directed at seersucker suites and to this day I, too, avoid them.

Grant
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 5, 2004
Grant, I tend to associate seersucker suits with car salesmen….not my favorite inhabitants of the planet (my apologies to any tuning in here).

Although, I seem to recall one of my all-time favorite TV characters wore them – Darren McGavin in the brilliant but cancelled series "Kolchak: Night Stalker."

Chuck
ML
Marty Landolt
May 6, 2004
Grant, My opinion of "boats" is that there are only 2 kinds: the sailboat and the canoe. I’ve always been active in sports. I would rather be on the courts than watching the TV finals. Have a good trip and keep that camera "safe".
Marty
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 6, 2004
Marty

" that there are only 2 kinds: the sailboat and the canoe. "

Now you are talking my language…

g.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 6, 2004
Marty and Grant: I agree! I have one of each (Sunfish sailboat, Old Town canoe); no motor boats.

Chuck
LK
Leen_Koper
May 7, 2004
Grant,

About your "hateful" digital camera compared to film cameras. Today I read this article about a quality comparison between film and digital: <http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/MTF7.html>

Quite interesting IMHO.

Leen

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections