Why is Bridge constantly accessing drive?

J
Posted By
John
Jan 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using ‘FileMonitor’, I see that PS CS2’s Bridge never stops banging away reading the hard disk. I added ‘I/O Other’ and ‘I/O Other Bytes’ columns to the Task Manager and the values are alway increasing.

Bridge is constantly (about every 1 second) accessing the hard disk and reading even when no changes have been made. Here’s an example:

9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 OPEN E:\Documents and
Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All
9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 DIRECTORY E:\Documents and
Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS
FileBothDirectoryInformation: editing.xml
9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 CLOSE E:\Documents and
Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 OPEN E:\Documents and
Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 QUERY INFORMATION E:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS Attributes: D 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 CLOSE E:\Documents and
Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 OPEN E:\Documents and
Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All
9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 DIRECTORY E:\Documents and
Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS
FileBothDirectoryInformation: settings.xml
9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 CLOSE E:\Documents and
Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 QUERY INFORMATION
\\.\MailSlot\Rob_and_Mike_bridge-1.0 SUCCESS FileMailslotQueryInformation 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 QUERY INFORMATION
\\.\MailSlot\Rob_and_Mike_bridge-1.0#estk SUCCESS
FileMailslotQueryInformation
9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 QUERY INFORMATION
\\.\MailSlot\Rob_and_Mike_bridge-1.0 SUCCESS FileMailslotQueryInformation 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 QUERY INFORMATION

I’m guessing that Rob and Mike are the programmers who wrote this portion of the program.

Hey Rob or Mike (or anyone else reading this), is there any way of slowing this down so it doesn’t suck up so many resources?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MH
Mike Hyndman
Jan 9, 2007
"John" wrote in message
Using ‘FileMonitor’, I see that PS CS2’s Bridge never stops banging away reading the hard disk. I added ‘I/O Other’ and ‘I/O Other Bytes’ columns to the Task Manager and the values are alway increasing.
Bridge is constantly (about every 1 second) accessing the hard disk and reading even when no changes have been made. Here’s an example:
9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 OPEN E:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 DIRECTORY E:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS FileBothDirectoryInformation: editing.xml 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 CLOSE E:\Documents and
Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 OPEN E:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 QUERY INFORMATION E:\Documents and
Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS Attributes: D 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 CLOSE E:\Documents and
Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 OPEN E:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 DIRECTORY E:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS FileBothDirectoryInformation: settings.xml 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 CLOSE E:\Documents and
Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 QUERY INFORMATION \\.\MailSlot\Rob_and_Mike_bridge-1.0 SUCCESS FileMailslotQueryInformation 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 QUERY INFORMATION \\.\MailSlot\Rob_and_Mike_bridge-1.0#estk SUCCESS FileMailslotQueryInformation 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 QUERY INFORMATION \\.\MailSlot\Rob_and_Mike_bridge-1.0 SUCCESS FileMailslotQueryInformation 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 QUERY INFORMATION
FileMailslotQueryInformation 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 QUERY INFORMATION \\.\MailSlot\Rob_and_Mike_bridge-1.0 SUCCESS FileMailslotQueryInformation 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 QUERY INFORMATION
FileMailslotQueryInformation 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 QUERY INFORMATION \\.\MailSlot\Rob_and_Mike_bridge-1.0 SUCCESS FileMailslotQueryInformation 9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 QUERY INFORMATION

I’m guessing that Rob and Mike are the programmers who wrote this portion of the program.

Hey Rob or Mike (or anyone else reading this), is there any way of slowing this down so it doesn’t suck up so many resources?

No one by that name see
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=19FC2KprBsUNx0DQ2K RD1cXlgvy3o0 They look like shares on a server.
Try asking the ones who write it at hhtp://www.adobeforums.com in the photoshop section.

MH
J
John
Jan 9, 2007
Mike Hyndman wrote:
"John" wrote in message
[snip]

No one by that name see
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=19FC2KprBsUNx0DQ2K RD1cXlgvy3o0

That’s clever. I didn’t think of looking there.

They look like shares on a server.
Try asking the ones who write it at hhtp://www.adobeforums.com in the photoshop section.

Good idea. Thank you.

MH

J
John
Jan 17, 2007
Mike Hyndman wrote:
"John" wrote in message
9:31:27 AM Bridge.exe:4060 OPEN E:\Documents and Settings\John\Application Data\Adobe\Workflow\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All 9:31:27

[big snip]

No one by that name see
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=19FC2KprBsUNx0DQ2K RD1cXlgvy3o0 They look like shares on a server.

No, although the ‘\\’ look like server shares, they’re named mailslots and the client and server can both be on the same machine. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/e n-us/ipc/base/about_mailslots.asp for further information.

I did and no one responded there either. I’m guessing that this is too technical of a question for PS users.

MH

MH
Mike Hyndman
Jan 17, 2007
John,
I did and no one responded there either. I’m guessing that this is too technical of a question for PS users.

I would be most surprised if that was the case, did you post it to the correct forum? I have searched the one I suggested to you and can find no message re your problem, there is also a dedicated Bridge forum on the Adobeforum site.
Regards
Mike H
J
John
Jan 17, 2007
Mike Hyndman wrote:
John,

I would be most surprised if that was the case, did you post it to the correct forum? I have searched the one I suggested to you and can find no message re your problem, there is also a dedicated Bridge forum on the Adobeforum site.
Regards
Mike H

I discovered some days ago that PS CS2 also constantly polls mailslots and the hard disk several times/second. I would have thought that they would have used semaphores or the like to coordinate communications to reduce the heavy polling but what do I know?
MH
Mike Hyndman
Jan 17, 2007
"John" wrote in message
Mike Hyndman wrote:
John,

Regards
Mike H

I discovered some days ago that PS CS2 also constantly polls mailslots and the hard disk several times/second. I would have thought that they would have used semaphores or the like to coordinate communications to reduce the heavy polling but what do I know?

The only time my copy accesses the hd is when saving to the temp file, have you checked for spyware etc?
You really need to ask this in Bridge forum, which is patronised by some of the people involved in its development. If they haven’t got an answer, the problem doesn’t exist. 😉

MH

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections