DD
Posted By
Doug_Dye
Oct 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am so frustrated, I can’t find anything about this in Photoshop Help.

Thanks in advance…how can I use special characters with the Type Tool?

Thanks again,

Doug Dye

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 15, 2008
Doug,

What special characters do you mean? And for what purpose? Any specific fonts causing an issue?

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 15, 2008
Photoshop urgently needs a Glyphs palette— and, sadly, it is still absent in CS4.

Meanwhile you can use Apple’s Character Palette or the third-party "PopChar" to access the regular 256 glyphs in a standard font; or you could copy/paste from Illustrator (which does have a Glyphs palette that can access the extendedl range of characters in the Pro fonts).
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 15, 2008
Good point, Ann.

Neil
DD
Doug_Dye
Oct 15, 2008
THANKS ALL! A client wants some sort of bullets in text.

I tried the Character palette, and found what I wanted, but the "bullets" showed up as rectangles when pasted into text fields in Photoshop. I had pasted them from Word though, should I try Illustrator?

I am somewhat amazed that Photoshop doesn’t have a way to access this stuff without copying and pasting from other apps.

Thanks again,

Doug Dye
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 15, 2008
A Glyphs Palette has been on the Features request list for a long time now but it doesn’t seem to have made it into CS4.

You can paste➽ a character from Illustrator but you do need to have the necessary font available to Photoshop.

Likewise if you "Insert with Font" from Apple’s Character Palette.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 15, 2008
Bullet = Option-8 right there in Photoshop.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 15, 2008
But he wants some special sort of bullet — perhaps a Zapf Dingbat or Wingdings glyph?
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 15, 2008
He didn’t say what he wanted.. said he saw it in the Character Palette but it turned into a triangle. No telling what "it" is.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 15, 2008
Quite!

8/
R
Ram
Oct 15, 2008
If a glyph turns into a rectangle, it just means the font does not support it. Try a different font.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Oct 15, 2008
PopChar accesses any character in every Unicode block. It isn’t limited to ASCII.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections