GD
Posted By
Gabriel_D_Ramirez
Oct 11, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Every time I go to open a file, either with a short cut or FILE/OPEN, I get this crash message.

The application Photoshop has unexpectedly quit.

A crash report has been generated. To provide us with the best chance of fixing this problem, please select Continue to add a detailed description that includes the steps required to reproduce the crash.

Adobe will use this crash report to help find a future solution to this problem.

Help!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GO
George_Osled
Oct 11, 2008
Same here. Running latest Leopard OS.
R
Ram
Oct 11, 2008
Did you read the post about Version Cue?

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c0541ef/2>

It’s on the same page where you added or found this topic.
GD
Gabriel_D_Ramirez
Oct 11, 2008
Ramon…

I did not know. I had asked many friends and all said I was crazy. Guess I was not.

It worked!
R
Ram
Oct 11, 2008
Shame on your friends. 🙂
GO
George_Osled
Oct 11, 2008
Just ran the Version Cue fix, still getting the same crash message when I try to open a file.
GO
George_Osled
Oct 11, 2008
Okay, I just tried this… after running the Version Cue fix and with Photoshop still running, I went directly to the file I wanted to open (NOT using the "file open" menu in Photoshop) and right clicked on the file telling it to "open with Photoshop". The file opened without crash and now I can open files within Photoshop (using the "file open" menu) and things seem fine. So, all’s well that ends well I guess. Thanks for the help! 🙂
B
Buko
Oct 11, 2008
Are you using Version Cue?

If not why have it?

disable it.
GO
George_Osled
Oct 11, 2008
Ah Buko, yes, makes sense. So um, what is Version Cue? And how can I disable it? 🙂
B
Buko
Oct 11, 2008
in the Photoshop prefs uncheck VC

In the system prefs turn it off
GO
George_Osled
Oct 11, 2008
Ok, thanks Buko. Unchecked it in the Photoshop preferences, but I did not find it in the system preferences. Perhaps because I am not running the entire Creative Suite? (I only have Photoshop CS3 installed.) In any case, thanks again.
R
Ram
Oct 11, 2008
Version Cue MUST be UNCHECKED in Bridge preferences too in order to disable it.
GO
George_Osled
Oct 11, 2008
Ok, thanks on that one also.
V
vanax
Oct 13, 2008
In attempting to open up any .psd file, I drop a file on top of the PS CS3 icon on the dock, but the file does not open. Only the PS program opens. The same happens when I double click a .psd file.

I want both to open with the drop (or double click). It’s only when PS is already open that I can then open a .psd file. What gives? Thanks.
R
Ram
Oct 14, 2008
This is covered in the FAQs of this forum, which are located on the same page where you found this thread.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.2ccf1da6>
V
vanax
Oct 14, 2008
I have CS3 running on Leopard 10.5.5. I don’t understand "archive." What is to be archived?

I do understand that I need to deinstall CS3 — trash it all and delete it — and then reinstall CS3 to fix the problem, right?
R
Ram
Oct 14, 2008
Vanax,

No, no, no!

You misunderstood the FAQ. It has two solutions, none of which involves "deinstalling". Read it again carefully.

At any event, in CS3 you can NEVER just drag the application or application folder to the trash like you could in prior versions. If you wanted to uninstall CS3, you MUST use the Adobe Uninstaler that CS3 installs in Applications / Utilities / Adobe /.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to move Photoshop CS3 to the trash.

"Archive and Install" is the preferred option to use when upgrading or updating the Macintosh Operating System. It does NOT require you to uninstall anything.
R
Ram
Oct 14, 2008
running on Leopard 10.5.5.

You had not mentioned THAT before, otherwise I would have not jumped in to reply. I don’t touch Leopard.
AP
Anne_Piombino
Oct 26, 2008
HELP PLEASE! A few days ago I got some pop up (I’m in windows XP) saying updates were available for 2 adobe things. I just chose yes and kept working. Now, I can’t open files in any of my CS3 programs. I have lost 4 days of productivity and fear losing my mind next!! I’ve tried to follow that link above, but it comes into my winzip program already unzipped and then when I double click it only acts like it wants to view the file, not run it. I did find the VC thing checked in my PS preferences and unchecked it and now I can open files. But all other programs show the VC unchecked. I even ran an unistall of version cue as a whole, no help. I uninstalled and reinstalled CS3 entirely, no help.

Please help!! Deadlines are looming! Thanks so much.

Anne
B
Buko
Oct 26, 2008
This is the Mac forum most of us don’t do windows.

Asking in the Windows forum will get you better advice.
TB
The Bobert
Oct 26, 2008
In article ,
wrote:

HELP PLEASE! A few days ago I got some pop up (I’m in windows XP) saying updates were available for 2 adobe things. I just chose yes and kept working. Now, I can’t open files in any of my CS3 programs. I have lost 4 days of productivity and fear losing my mind next!! I’ve tried to follow that link above, but it comes into my winzip program already unzipped and then when I double click it only acts like it wants to view the file, not run it. I did find the VC thing checked in my PS preferences and unchecked it and now I can open files. But all other programs show the VC unchecked. I even ran an unistall of version cue as a whole, no help. I uninstalled and reinstalled CS3 entirely, no help.

Please help!! Deadlines are looming! Thanks so much.

Anne

Why do you think a Mac group would help you more than a Win group?

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Bob in Central California

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections