T
Posted By
Talker
Jan 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was reading an article about Adobe’s Advanced Technology Labs prototype lens that has 20 smaller lens elements, each with 10 megapixel resolution (for a total of 200 megapixels), and it said that you could then use Adobe’s skunk-works software to combine portions of each element.
Is Adobe’s skunk-works just a generic term, (as in saying, use an Adobe program that will come included with the camera), or is that some sort of software that does exist, but isn’t out yet?

Talker

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Bigguy
Jan 6, 2007
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_works

Guy

Talker wrote:
I was reading an article about Adobe’s Advanced Technology Labs prototype lens that has 20 smaller lens elements, each with 10 megapixel resolution (for a total of 200 megapixels), and it said that you could then use Adobe’s skunk-works software to combine portions of each element.
Is Adobe’s skunk-works just a generic term, (as in saying, use an Adobe program that will come included with the camera), or is that some sort of software that does exist, but isn’t out yet?
Talker
S
subdude
Jan 6, 2007
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 11:12:40 -0500, Talker
thought it was important to mention:

Well, first of all, lens elements don’t deifne megapixel resolution – the density of the sensor (in mosts cases a CCD) does.

It means yet another ‘feature’ to give them an excuse for CS 10! <BG>

Actually, a ‘skunk works’ is an R&D arm of a company charged with the mission of thinking way outside the box and redefining the leading edge. Most of what goes on in a skunk works never sees the light of day, but many times the processes taken to get there *do* add to new features and discoveries.

In short, don’t hold your breath. Adobe has enough problems taming betas and production releases to be thinking about anything that advanced <G>….

:subdude
T
Talker
Jan 6, 2007
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 17:47:34 GMT, subdude
wrote:

Well, first of all, lens elements don’t deifne megapixel resolution – the density of the sensor (in mosts cases a CCD) does.

Yes, I know, I was curious about that also. The picture of the lens appeared as though the 10 megapixel "element"(as they called it) was some sort of sensor built inside the lens. The 20 "elements" were fashioned in a catacomb shape.

Actually, a ‘skunk works’ is an R&D arm of a company charged with the mission of thinking way outside the box and redefining the leading edge. Most of what goes on in a skunk works never sees the light of day, but many times the processes taken to get there *do* add to new features and discoveries.

In short, don’t hold your breath. Adobe has enough problems taming betas and production releases to be thinking about anything that advanced <G>….

Thanks for the explanation subdude, and also thanks to Bigguy for the link to wikipedia. I never would have though to look there for that term.

Talker
S
subdude
Jan 7, 2007
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:50:21 -0500, Talker

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 17:47:34 GMT, subdude
wrote:

Yes, I know, I was curious about that also. The picture of the lens appeared as though the 10 megapixel "element"(as they called it) was some sort of sensor built inside the lens. The 20 "elements" were fashioned in a catacomb shape.

Thanks for the explanation subdude, and also thanks to Bigguy for the link to wikipedia. I never would have though to look there for that term.

Talker

My pleasure, your post piqued my interest. Any chance you could recall the source of the article?

T
Talker
Jan 8, 2007
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 18:16:19 GMT, subdude
wrote:
My pleasure, your post piqued my interest. Any chance you could recall the source of the article?

Sure, it was in the February 2007 issue of PC World.(the most recent issue). It’s just a small inset on page 72 called "Megapixels on the Rise."
On the cover of the magazine, it says, "The Web’s Most Useful Sites……47 Winners"

Talker

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections