DO
Posted By
Danielle_Oberst
Jan 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What are the benefits (besides reducing the size of the file) of flattening images? And, is there a downside? For instance, I am working with an artist who is sending flattened files for production and I’m pretty sure the printers will want to manipulate the files if necessary to fit their specs. If the artists sends me flattened files, will I or the printer be able to manipulate the files?

If I remember correctly, the printers had mentioned previously that they do not usually prefer flattened files.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Bernie
Jan 5, 2007
What are the benefits (besides reducing the size of the file) of flattening images?

Some RIPs won’t accept layered files. It also prvents suppliers from screwing up your file by mistake (but see below)

And, is there a downside?

You lose the layers.

will I or the printer be able to manipulate the files?

Yes, but you won’t have access to the layer, which means yo may be in for some fun times creating fancy selections.

All that being said, if a printer asks for hte layered file, give it to them since making their ob easier means there is a greater likely hood of your job coming out the way you want it.

If the artist won’t understand that, maybe he’ll understand when he gets billed hours for doing stuff that would take a few minutes on hte layered version of his file
DO
Danielle_Oberst
Jan 5, 2007
Thank you. I like to receive files with layers, so I can completely understand why the printer would prefer them as well.

In the past, we haven’t billed the artists for additional editing (my position as the editor is fairly new) so I can also see why the artist would have no incentive to create the layers if flattened files already exist.

Thank you again for your help, this answers my questions perfectly!
B
Bernie
Jan 5, 2007
I can also see why the artist would have no incentive to create the layers if flattened files already exist

That makes sense, if the layers don’t exist, then the perosn who eeds them should make them.

What doesn’t make sense is not letting someone have the layers when they’re available and having means they can do a better job.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 5, 2007
Why does a printer need layered files? I don’t want someone monkeying with my layers. Worked in print for years and never had a printer ask for layered files.

Get a new printer.
DO
Danielle_Oberst
Jan 5, 2007
"That makes sense, if the layers don’t exist, then the perosn who eeds them should make them. "

How would one create layers from a flattened image? For instance, in the worst case scenario, if the artist provides me with flattened files and absolutely won’t include layers (due to whatever reason) is there a way for me to create layers?

Thanks.
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 5, 2007
is there a way for me to create layers?

No, not the original layers.

The pixels from all layers are merged into the image you see on screen.

What is obscured or modified by the layer above is lost for ever.
B
Bernie
Jan 5, 2007
Ed: when I printed stuff for artists (or arteests), getting the layers was often a good way of being able to do the correction needed on only one part of the image.

How would one create layers from a flattened image?

Make a selection and turn it into a layer (or use it to apply a layer mask to an adjustment layer).
DO
Danielle_Oberst
Jan 5, 2007
That makes sense I suppose, or else the file couldn’t be significantly reduced in size if all the original pixels are still intact and able to be restored.

Thanks!
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 5, 2007
I do not need anyone doing "corrections" on my work. If a file is prepared properly it should not need tweaking, and if it does, make the artist do it, not a pressman.

I worked for a publishing company and we never sent layered files to the printers and were never asked for them either.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 5, 2007
Maybe the difference is that we had a Prepress Department. But they never touched the layered files either. They would review them and if there was a problem, send them back to the artist.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections