SK
Posted By
Steve_Kostro
May 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know how to save a ‘cropped’ section of a pic. Is it possible to save a ‘lasso’ section of a pic? (I’m running PS Elements).
thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JF
Jodi_Frye
May 1, 2004
the way I save a selection; create a ‘new’ image…use the move tool and drag the selection to the new canvas and save it psd.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 1, 2004
In PSE2 there is save selection that may do what you are looking for. Its under SELECT>SAVE SELECTION

Wendy
SK
Steve_Kostro
May 1, 2004
thank you , Im using PSE-1
BH
Beth_Haney
May 1, 2004
If you’re using PSE 1, use Jodi’s method, because that’s the version she uses, too.
SK
Steve_Kostro
May 1, 2004
Hi Jody, that of course works, but it’s not excatly what I’m looking for. When doing it the way you suggest, it saves the selected lasso, but it also saves the background with it.
What I want to do (with the selected lasso),is to be able to put (paste) the selected lasso to a greeting card or possibly a desktop background on my monitor screen. Is there a option for a transparent background? I’m saving the selected lasso as a jpeg. Is this possibly where I’m screwing up?
thanks
BH
Beth_Haney
May 1, 2004
Steve, JPEGs will not support transparent background. Since you mention moving this selection to a greeting card, you should pick a format like PSD or TIFF, both of which do support a transparent background. I believe GIF does, too, but that might not be the best choice if this is anything you want to print, since it also supports a more limited range of colors. Try moving the selection to a blank canvas that’s either PSD or TIFF and see if you get the result you want. If not, repost. Oh, and any selection will always move in the shape of a rectangle. That’s the nature of digital imaging.
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 1, 2004
Steve..Yes, I do believe I mentioned to save in psd format which will allow you to keep the edges transparent. Beth named a couple of other formats that will also do the trick.

So you know..when working with Elements…graphics,photos etc..always save in psd or tiff format…not JPEG.

We can start a new thread on this if you’d like 😉
SK
Steve_Kostro
May 3, 2004
thank you, no time right now to mess around with your suggestions, but soon, and I’ll repost. thank again.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections