P
Posted By
pieterkonink
Jan 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I’ve been having this problem for a while and I can’t figure out what’s causing it:

I frequently lose the tool I’ve selected for a brief time whenever I resize the image window or main photoshop window (with the image maximized). This happens least when I have the entire Photoshop window maximized. Sometimes it happens when I move to a different image or just, well, whenever.

A lot of the time left-clicking to bring up the context menu seems to snap it out of this behavior (until it does it again). The incorrect pointer is a sign of this behavior and sometimes I get the incorrect pointer when switching tools (i.e. I my pointer will display the Move Tool even though I just switched from Brush to Eraser).

My suspicion is that it’s some sort of lag, I believe that when I have waited long enough it returns to normal on its own. My suspicion it comes from memory or scratch disks – the more I advance into the image the more I get this behavior. The real problem is that I have a pretty decent computer – P3 3.0ghz HT processor with 1 gig dual-channel 3200 RAM – and this behavior can happen when I’m messing with an 80 kb image using ~130mb of the RAM (roughly 500-600 mb total).

I’m wondering if I have something misconfigured in Photoshop or perhaps have a conflicting driver? This behavior has been an issue as long as I have had CS2; I’ve never had this issue before (I’ve used every version of Photoshop back to 4.0).

I’m using Photoshop CS2 9.0.2 with Windows XP SP2 (updated to most current as of this post). What else should I list? I use a logitech mx518 mouse with logitech setpoint mouse software … maybe thats it. Haven’t installed a tablet on this computer. Normally use WindowBlinds and Object Dock but still get the behavior with them switched off.

I’m stumped!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SF
sue_forde
Jan 5, 2007
I’m having a similar problem with CS2 on Mac….I’ll be using the eraser tool…then it just freezes for about 15 seconds…then catches up. I’ve tried raising the cache and memory to no avail…not sure if it’s our network problem or CS2.

help!
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jan 6, 2007
Try reducing the PS cache levels and memory allocation, not raising them. The freezing is very likely occurring because the OS doesn’t have enough memory available, so it needs to use virtual memory (i.e., it needs to swam stuff from RAM to disk, disk to RAM, RAM to disk, etc.).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections