SA
Posted By
Susan_Acree
Apr 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was intriqued reading about artist that does collage and uses computer graphics combined his collage work to create his art. I also read that he uses a Macintosh. I have heard that Macs are better for graphics. I was curious if it was standard for professional graphic artists to use Macs or is it just a matter of preference and what you are used to?

Thanks for information.
Susan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 30, 2004
Early Adobe products started out as Macintosh only.
Older graphic houses are often still Macintosh based.
Apple was also very generous with eductional pricing, even gave a lot of systems away, so many schools were Macintosh early on also.

For the last decade or so, however, Macintosh has no real advantage. Certainly, more bang for the buck with Windows boxes.

I have worked on both platforms for years, and find no real difference. Each platform crashes equally well.

Mac
R
RobertHJones
Apr 30, 2004
Susan,

Historically, Apple and the Macintosh were leaps and bounds ahead of the PC graphics capabilities both in hardware and software — early graphics applications were often available only on Macintosh. Consequently, it became very intrenched in the graphics arts industry.

Time having a way of changing things, that superiority is no longer present. Today’s PC Windows based machines are now every bit as capable as Macs graphics-wise (both hardware — assuming you didn’t buy the PC equivalent of the "Yugo" — and software) and there are even those that say the PC is now the stronger platform.

My personal opinion is that the graphics gap has been closed and unless you’re working for (or plan to work for) a graphics firm that is firmly Mac intrenched (and not all are anymore, mainly the older ones), it really does come down to personal preferences.

Bob
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 30, 2004
Susan, there is just no answer here. The pc users will say endlessly, "There’s no difference anymore." The mac users will say endlessly, "Yes, there is." Try out both for yourself and make your own decision. 😉
DN
DS_Nelson
Apr 30, 2004
If this question is asked in most computer-related forums, war quickly breaks out. Good thing that doesn’t happen here.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 30, 2004
I hear swords rattling now …

M
J
jhjl1
Apr 30, 2004
And let’s remember there is at least one excellent graphics program that offers several things you can’t get in full Photoshop that isn’t available for the Mac OS.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 30, 2004
Guys, if you want to fight we can, but what on earth is the point? You won’t change our minds and we won’t change yours, so why bother?
J
jhjl1
Apr 30, 2004
I would prefer to think that DS Nelson is correct and that we can have a discussion without a fight.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Guys, if you want to fight we can, but what on earth is the point? You
won’t change our minds and we won’t change yours, so why bother?
GD
Grant_Dixon
Apr 30, 2004
Fight … fight … did I miss something.

From my position of having a bazillion fine graphic come before me week in and week out I don’t see that one system has an edge over another. What I do see is that for the most part the creativity of the artist plays more importance than what computer they are using. I suspect it is true that some feel more comfortable using one system over another and I can fully appreciate that. In the end it is like owning anything, while brand ‘A’ may have more or less features of brand ‘B’, using and learning to use the system you have is going to return more to you than owning one computer over another.

G
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 30, 2004
Well, then, there is software available on each platform that isn’t available on the other.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 30, 2004
We don’t fight … we just sort of have sibling squabbles 🙂

Macs Rule 🙂
Wendy
J
jhjl1
Apr 30, 2004
You are absolutely correct and this is the kind of info we should be giving the OP so that she can make up her mind based on current facts and not past history. I have often heard the same about the Mac being superior for graphics but it’s kind of like comparing apples and apples these days. I think (opinion) one needs to decide the software they will use and buy a system that will run it. The way systems can be purchased these days you can get what you need with either platform as for as hardware goes.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Well, then, there is software available on each platform that isn’t
available on the other.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 30, 2004
Main diff:

PC: Control+Alt+Delete
Mac: Command+Option+Esc
🙂

Mac (who is mostly a Winders guy)
J
jhjl1
Apr 30, 2004
I like that approach Wendy.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
We don’t fight … we just sort of have sibling squabbles 🙂
Wendy
SS
Susan_S.
Apr 30, 2004
I’ve only used a Mac for graphics apps. The major commercial, professional applications are all available for both platforms. Macs are (for whatever reason) less prone at the moment to viruses worms and other nasties which is a real plus. The downside – the hardware costs can be greater (although by the time you have optioned your Windows box up to match all the stuff that is included with a mac the difference, at least in Aus isn’t quite as much as you might expect). Consumer level, shareware and freeware apps aren’t as available for Macs.
There isn’t much in it really – as long as you make sure that you have the memory (lots), the multiple hard drives (storage and scratch space) appropriate video cards for the programs you intend to use and a good quality, well callibrated monitor (or two!), you can do the same with both.

Personally I like Macs, but it’s a look and feel thing.

Susan S.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 30, 2004
Macs are (for whatever reason) less prone at the moment to viruses worms

With less than 10% of the market, virus coders just haven’t concentrated on them. Pretty immune to spyware also.

M
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 30, 2004
With less than 10% of the market, virus coders just haven’t concentrated on them. Pretty immune to spyware also.

M

It’s more complicated to install an application (with or without a virus) under Mac OS X, as it asks you to enter a password, because you’re not running as root (i.e. Super user, whatever you like it), as opposed to Windows (any flavor), where every time you boot your machine, you’re already the super user (corporate PCs are configured differently, as users can’t install software). So, as soon as something asks you for a password, you become suspect. Also, as someone else said, there’s "Security through Obscurity".

That being said, I switched for a Mac 2 months ago, and I’ve never had regrets since then. Major apps are available for both platform, and when they’re not, another publisher will offer a similar software. I’ve also had better results calibrating my monitor with the supplied Mac OS calibration tool than I had under Windows (I’m gonna get hit for saying that, I’m pretty sure!!)

The price of a Mac is higher at the cash register, granted, but like Susan said, once you add all the goodies included in the OS, you end up with a very, very similarly priced PC with all extra goodies added after you set it up. Goodies like PDF creation in every apps, Graphics Converter, Art Director Toolkit, etc.

For me, Mac OS is more easy to work with. There are several tasks easier done under Mac OS than under Windows. Simple as that.

Ray
P.S. That’s it, I believe I successfully seeded this forum for a war 🙂
JH
Joe_Henry1000
May 1, 2004
I can’t believe I’m even going to get into this, but…

The "Security Through Obscurity" myth is just that, a myth. It’s been talked about and summarily debunked about a cazillion times over the past 12 months due to the prolific and nasty Windows viruses that every one’s been suffering through. OS X (not necessarily 9) is simply a much more secure OS than Windows (and all distro’s of Linix for that matter). Is it invulnerable? No and sooner or later someone will figure out a way to infect it.

I’m not going to post the 80 billion (ok that’s a huge exaggeration but oh well) or so links to articles/news relevant to this topic. Any one who’d like more info, though, can email me and I’ll dig a bunch up.

Graphic professionals that I know tend to own/use Mac’s for the same reason they always have: the Mac OS gets out of your way and lets you be creative, whereas Windows loves to get in the way every chance it gets. That’s somewhat subjective but as a guy who’s had to suffer with Windows at work my entire adult life there’s truth in that statement IMO.

One more thing Mac (not to be confused with Macintosh 😉 )

Each platform crashes equally well.

My Mac hasn’t crashed since late 2001 (the arrival of OS 10.1). We reboot our Windows XP and 2k machines at work daily because if we don’t…CRASH! BSOD (blue screen of death in Win 2K).

I should have just kept my big mouth shut……………<Sigh> 😉

Joe
J
jhjl1
May 1, 2004
Could you please explain this part of your post. Thanks.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Windows loves to get in the way every chance it gets.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 1, 2004
One more thing Mac (not to be confused with Macintosh 😉 )
Each platform crashes equally well.

My Mac hasn’t crashed since late 2001 (the arrival of OS 10.1). We reboot our Windows XP and 2k machines at work daily because if we don’t…CRASH! BSOD (blue screen of death in Win 2K).

I haven’t got it long enough to say this is also my case, but none of my friends have seen their Mac crashed. Sure, from time to time, an app will stop responding (SBOD) or "unexpectedly quit’ (you gotta love this over ‘has performed an illegal operation and will be terminated’, what’s an illegal operation… Ordering a printout, reading the hard drive.. ?), but that’s the case with every OS I know (and I know quite a few of them, believe moi!)

I should have just kept my big mouth shut……………<Sigh> 😉

I said the same thing a few hours ago. I’m still alive 🙂

The problem is, all that’s written on the Mac comes from PC users, and all false things are usually spread by PC users or part time Mac user (meaning the person used it two years ago, for 37 seconds in a store where it was badly configured due to abuse, and has forged an opinion based on that ‘prolonged’ exposure!)

I’m not saying they’re the best thing on Earth and that every individual should have one. But, before one makes his mind up, he/she should absolutely take a walk to the nearest Apple Store (or Mac authorized reseller) and play with the machine for a few hours, have someone explain to you the things unclear (if there are), explore it for a while. Otherwise, every Windows users should have abandoned the ship after Windows 1.0, or worst, Windows 3.0 or ME (for those who don’t remember, Win 3.0 was a P in the B, more than any other Windows incarnation that ever existed).

After all, nobody would think of getting married with anyone, 37 seconds after having met that person 🙂

Ray
SS
Susan_S.
May 1, 2004
I didn’t put a reason in for the lack of viruseseses for a good reason!! FWIW my Mac has had problems crashing from time to time, but I live dangerously, running betas of apps and a fair amount of free and shareware. I have also had my fair share of hardware problems, although the local Apple dealer has always sorted it out. I’m glad I bought the machine when I was still employed at a tertiary institution and so came with a three year education warranty.

Susan S
MR
Mark_Reibman
May 1, 2004
After all, nobody would think of getting married with anyone, 37 seconds after having met that person

ummmmm, no comment. 🙂
ML
Marilyn_Lee
May 1, 2004
RE: After all, nobody would think of getting married with anyone, 37 seconds after having met that person – ummmmm, no comment.

Actually, I told myself in about that many seconds, after first meeting my husband-to-be, that someday he and I would get married. And this intuition came to me literally out of the blue on the back of a mule heading down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. He was a mule guide; I was a tourist. I didn’t even know his name.

But I digress from the topic at hand…

I’ve never had the opportunity to even touch a Mac. They aren’t exactly commonplace in my town, although I do see local ads for graphic artists requiring experience with one. And the one demo that was set up at some monthly computer classes, I had to miss because I was out of town.

The first computer I worked with came with DOS. Solid as the Rock of Gibralter. We all had fun creating special DOS prompts for our computers (for you younger folk out there, one only got a C> prompt out of the box in the good old days; you had to do a little programming to add the path so you’d get the C:\> and therefore know what directory (not "folder") you were in. But then if you’re really young, you might not be familiar with a prompt at all 🙂 Anyway, my office computer always welcomed me with G’Day, Mate! C:\> and I even programmed it to turn the screen blue. Wow! Ultimately, we moved up to Windows 3.11. Ah, those were the days with friendly INI files instead of THE REGISTRY!…

My agency just upgraded from Win95 to Win2K this past December (some ITS departments aren’t known for diving in with all four feet when new software comes out). I also have Win2K at home, and (unlike with Win95 where crashes were almost a daily occurrence) the Blue Screen of Death is a real rarity at either place now. Of course, I hardly download anything except for something like Jodi’s frames; and unlicensed software is strictly forbidden on our office computers.

What I would really like to know from Mac fans is how easy/successful is it to do OS upgrades on Macs and do you have to install lots of patches the way Windows users are at least supposed to do?

Someone mentioned home computers with Windows having User logins; but at home, for better or for worse, I DO log on as Administrator, not as a User, because I can’t stand not having access to everything on my computer. But I don’t have 24/7 Internet connection, rarely download anything, keep my virus signature files up to date, and try to keep my fingers crossed.

Also, Microsoft users are stuck with cutesy little defaults like "My Computer" and "My Documents" and "My Pictures," when I would much rather have "File Manager" and "Data" and "Pix." Does the MAC OS allow you to change the defaults to something more to your liking?

I suppose I tolerate Windows because, at least for me, it’s pretty much just a means of keeping the other programs up and running. What I personally don’t like is MSWord which is definitely a "do it Microsoft’s way" kind of a program. Our office was once a very heavy and extremely successful user of WordPerfect until we were literally forced by our Administration to switch to Word. But then, that’s another subject for argument, uh, discussion 🙂

Marilyn
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 1, 2004
I suppose I must be one of the few that have never owned a PC, although I used to use one at work.

We started off with Macs way back and that one was a 2Ci then 2Cx, 7400, 6500 and finally … we now have the iMac and iBook. I much prefer Macs .. I like them for many reasons … the Graphics, ease of use, easy of software installation, easy of updating OS, Applications etc.

There are some difficulties … games are not its strong point and the reduced volume of Freeware/Shareware is another … thats why my eldest Stepson has changed over to a PC athough his Sister has stayed with Macs … me? well I guess I just love my MAC 🙂

Will I ever change to a PC ? ……. probably not BUT hey who knows what the future holds.

I think its what you get used to and what you feel comfortable with … a bit like Husbands 🙂

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 1, 2004
Actually, I told myself in about that many seconds, after first meeting my husband-to-be, that someday he and I would get married. And this intuition came to me literally out of the blue on the back of a mule heading down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. He was a mule guide; I was a tourist. I didn’t even know his name.

Well, right after I sent the note, I’ve figured, there must be a few people around here who met their husband/wife and knew about it… 37 seconds later 🙂

Also, Microsoft users are stuck with cutesy little defaults like "My Computer" and "My Documents" and "My Pictures," when I would much rather have "File Manager" and "Data" and "Pix." Does the MAC OS allow you to change the defaults to something more to your liking?

Yes Marilyn, you can have the folder’s names you like. Here’s my case : I put all my stuff destined to be shown on my Pbase in a folder called Pbase. The full path of this folder is /users/ray/pictures/pbase. Now, I didn’t want to have to navigate my way each time I wanted to save a picture for the web. So, I created a shortcut of the Pbase folder in the Finder (drag and drop operation, actually, you drag the pbase folder directly in the shortcut area). See this picture: http://www.pbase.com/image/28481285

Now, as soon as I want to save something there, in every application, I simply open the location drop box, and here it is! See this image : http://www.pbase.com/image/28481248

If I prefer to view the expanded Save As… dialog box, the Pbase folder will be there, right on the left of the box. See this picture : http://www.pbase.com/image/28481249

So, I’m really only one click from my preferred web image saving folder.

As for the other folders, like Pictures, Movies, Music, you can remove and replace them with everything you like. In fact, when I work for a short period on a file that’s not in one of those location, I simply add a shortcut there (left side of the Finder). It becomes available for all my applications, instantly.

Ray
ML
Marilyn_Lee
May 2, 2004
Thanks so much, Ray, for taking the time to write and post the examples! I didn’t realize how much the Mac interface differed from that of Windows!

Although I can create my own Shortcuts to drives and folders in Windows in areas like Favorites and on the Desktop (and I make good use of that feature), I can’t get rid of, or rename, the system shortcuts. This holds true for both the large buttons on the left side of the dialog boxes such as the "My Documents" button in the Open and SaveAs boxes, as well as the built-in Template tabs in the New dialog box for Memos & Letters, Legal Pleadings, Reports, etc.

Because there’s a limit on how many extra tabs from your own folders the system will squeeze into the New dialog box (before it adds a "More" tab), we have to end up sharing the default tabs that we can’t remove. (Of course if you don’t do Legal Pleadings, you’re just stuck with that useless tab.) Although I learned how to get rid of Microsoft’s Wizards (which I don’t use) from those tabs, I have never found any way to get rid of the tabs themselves.

This behavior is very typical of Microsoft software. More than once I’ve gone to the Microsoft Knowledge Base to ask why something won’t work the way I want it to, only to find Microsoft’s response that that was the way it was "designed to work." And there’s no way to override that feature (the assumption being that why would you want to do it differently…)

Again, thanks! That was very enlightening.

Marilyn
LK
Leen_Koper
May 2, 2004
This forum is way too friendly.
Come on, let’s start a nice war.
Macs stink!

😉

Leen
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 2, 2004
Leen,

Don’t be so naughty ….. we all know that you really want a Mac 🙂

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 2, 2004
Leen,

Don’t be so naughty ….. we all know that you really want a Mac 🙂
Wendy
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!

Wendy 1 – Leen 0

Next set.. ? 😉

Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 2, 2004
Thanks so much, Ray, for taking the time to write and post the examples! I didn’t realize how much the Mac interface differed from that of Windows!

That’s usually what people are referring to when they say ‘the OS doesn’t get in the way’. Not specifically about adding shortcuts, but the whole experience in itself.

Glad you liked that! I don’t want to ‘convert’ you, but if you’re curious, you should really go to a Mac store, and try one, for more than 37 seconds.. (haha! couldn’t resist). You’ll see plenty of other nice little tricks like this one, all over the OS. There are usually plenty of Macs to play with, and in several stores (the 3 stores I went to) there are chairs and desk to be comfortably seated for a while.

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 2, 2004
Susan, I use PC for all my graphics…..with alot of help from Adobe 😉

<http://www.mybizz.net/l/w/lwsfrye/webA>
SS
Susan_S.
May 2, 2004
Ray – I’ve been using Macs since the original mac (with a brief foray into the wonderful world of DOS in 1987 and a stint using Windows at work only in the first half of the 1990s). And you already know more about them than I do… I really haven’t got to grips with everything that the finder in OSX can do.

I’ve only used graphics apps on macs though – all the earlier stuff was processing words, Excel, econometrics and statistics packages.
SA
Susan_Acree
May 3, 2004
I did not know that I would get so many responses. I was not trying to start a war! Maybe I will try a Mac in the future. However Mac owner here said that only knew of one place that would service them here locally so guess I will wait.

Nice to read that user’s graphics ability and creativity was more important than what platform person is using.
J
jhjl1
May 3, 2004
Susan
We like to tease each other when the opportunity arises. I hope we didn’t scare you off. There is really some very helpful people here, some of them even use a Mac.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
I did not know that I would get so many responses. I was not trying to
start a war!
MR
Mark_Reibman
May 3, 2004
I did not know that I would get so many responses. I was not trying to start a war!

That’s okay. Sometimes I think that everyone here is so darn pleasant, polite and nice that a little skirmish once in a while is necessary to create a little balance and keep us in touch with the real world.

And yes, as James said, sometimes even the non Mac users on this forum can be helpful.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 3, 2004
Susan,

There are not many local places to buy a Mac, unfortunately, unless you live in a big city. I got mine directly from Apple, over the phone. Took 5 days and it was delivered at right at my door (free of shipping charges).

James,

There is really some very helpful people here, some of them even use a Mac.

I’m not sure if this was intended as a joke or a nasty comment, so my appolgies if I got it wrong, but… So far, we’ve managed to avoid insulting the other group. Let’s keep it that way, shall we? 🙂

Ray
MR
Mark_Reibman
May 3, 2004
Ray

it was a joke…

and so was my comment. 😉
J
jhjl1
May 3, 2004
Good morning Ray. That was 100% joke.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
"Ray" wrote in message
James,

There is really some very helpful people here, some of them even use
a Mac.
I’m not sure if this was intended as a joke or a nasty comment, so my appolgies if I got it wrong, but… So far, we’ve managed to avoid
insulting
the other group. Let’s keep it that way, shall we? 🙂
Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 3, 2004
Hello James,

Glad to hear that. We can never be sure around here. When I got my Mac, two months ago, someone here said I was claiming Mac are better than PCs, when in fact I never said anything like that. When asked about that claim, that person never answered.

So, since this subject is rather a delicate one, I wanted to make sure we’d not cross the very thin line here and risk a real war.

That being said, I have a Mac, but I’m not a helpful person (on that platform) yet. Should I resign from this board just now or wait a little longer? 🙂

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 3, 2004
Ray !!! Stop…you stay right where you are !!!!!! WE NEED YOU !!!!!!

A computer is a computer…a tool in which we use…THAT is all.
J
jhjl1
May 3, 2004
Ray I actually based the comment on you and Beth being two of the most helpful people in the forum and being Mac users. If you do a search you will find that I have mentioned several times that this is the most civil forum I have ever seen and I can’t imagine anything changing that. I don’t consider the subject of Mac vs PC a delicate subject, I consider it superfluous subject.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
"Ray" wrote in message
Hello James,

Glad to hear that. We can never be sure around here. >

So, since this subject is rather a delicate one, >
Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 3, 2004
Ray I actually based the comment on you and Beth being two of the most helpful people in the forum and being Mac users. If you do a search you will find that I have mentioned several times that this is the most civil forum I have ever seen and I can’t imagine anything changing that. I don’t consider the subject of Mac vs PC a delicate subject, I consider it superfluous subject.

Oh well, in that case… Mac rocks and PC s..ks 😉

And I was only joking myself. Although in a month, right afer my surgery, I will be gone from this forum for a few days (possibly weeks). It is said that people have difficulties concentrating and reading after this kind of surgery. If it’s the case, I won’t be here.

Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 3, 2004
Ray !!! Stop…you stay right where you are !!!!!! WE NEED YOU !!!!!!
A computer is a computer…a tool in which we use…THAT is all.

You’re ABSOLUTELY right Jodi! A tool is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. There are those who prefer cordless tool, and those who can’t stand the thought of having to recharge the d..m thing after each usage.

(I’m of the first group, btw, the less cords, the less chances to trip !)

Ray
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 3, 2004
—– Original Message —–

Oh well, in that case… Mac rocks and PC s..ks 😉

lol

Ray

You are the warrior for the north, a knight taking up arms in the computer wars … you are the man…. of course you have a MAC so that makes you the Black Knight!

Grant
CS
carl_sutherland
May 3, 2004
Susan,

I am a computer newbie. As a "Professional" I had "people" to do that sort of thing for me while I did "much more important" work. I started about two years ago on a Windows unit my Wife had. I am not competent to discuss many of the things discussed here, but I will comment on the few I know something about mentioned earlier in this thread.

Crashes- The Windows unit would freeze up about once/hour necessitating unplugging the unit or pushing the button on the tower which closed everything down and then restart. Just about drove me crazy (do I hear "about"). We did have 98 2ed and might not have had that problem if we had gone to XP. My MAC just doesn’t do that. Once in a while I do have to do a "force quit" which takes seconds.

Security Upgrades- These seemed to be continuous under Windows. We would get the most alarming notices and then go to the Windows upgrade site and not be able to get the upgrade. I would get so frustrated I wanted to tear that site out of the computer. Nobody has ever explained why something so necessary was so inaccessable and difficult to get. I hated that part. There are rare security upgrades with the MAC but they are essentially automatic being hardly noticeable.

OS upgrades. We did not do an upgrade for the Windows. I have done the OS X 10.2 to 10.3 upgrade which went with few difficulties.

Pleasure-The Windows is a beige box with all the attractiveness of rotting garbage for it and its contents. Pulling out the MAC is like sitting down to a nice meal at Emeril’s. You do understand these are subjective observations of this observer only.

Carl
JH
Joe_Henry1000
May 3, 2004
Carl,

The Windows is a beige box with all the attractiveness of rotting garbage for it and its contents.

LOL! You’re living dangerously now. 😉 But I won’t disagree.

James,

Could you please explain this part of your post. Thanks.

Examples: Wizards, the "Start" menu, the fact that you need an Add/Remove control panel, drives (with letters instead of names) that you can’t mount on the desktop, etc.

The thing is, unless you’ve actually worked on both platforms it’s hard to convey/explain the difference. For most Windows users that I know personally, the examples I just gave wouldn’t seem like Windows is "getting in the way" (as I put it). That’s just the way it is.

Ray’s example in post #25 is a perfect example.

Joe
J
jhjl1
May 4, 2004
Thanks Joe. BTW there is a new photo challenge up and it doesn’t have an entry from you yet.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
The thing is, unless you’ve actually worked on both platforms it’s
hard to convey/explain the > Joe
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 4, 2004
Another feature I like, I shall say I adore, is the ability to use the desktop a real desktop. Let me explain.

Since in Mac applications, you can see the desktop, if you click on it while working in any application, all but the work window of your application disappear. Whatever is on the desktop becomes immediately available.

When I work on, say, making a calendar, I always select several pictures. I put them on the desktop, and if I don’t like my current pick, I simply click on the desktop, and my images are there. I can drag and drop a new one on the PSE (or PS CS) icon in the Dock, and it opens right away.

In the Windows version, if I would like to use the desktop, I would have to minimize the application (or run it windowed, but with all the palettes opened, it’s difficult to work in such a way, in PSE at least), or switch to the Explorer, then click and drag on PSE icon, wait until it becomes the front application, and release the mouse inside an empty space. It’s more efficient in Mac, for the way I work that is.

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 4, 2004
Ray, the Mac desktop wouldn’t work for me. My Windows desktop is a mess, just like my real desk here at home (and at work). I have a ton of icons that I couldn’t live without, so I really like the fact that Windows puts a ‘sheet’ over my mess and lets me work without clutter. If only I could do that with my real desk…

To each his own, right?

🙂
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 4, 2004
Yep !

Speaking of window, Spring arrived late last week around here… We just clean our real wnidows… Hey, there are real people outisde… !! The all had a gray aura surrounding them, lately 🙂

Ray
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 4, 2004
Since Win98 there is a Switch to Desktop shortcut, comes preloaded in QuickLaunch bar.
Instantly minimizes all apps.
You can files from desktop into minimized app, which then opens to accomodate them.

There definitely are advantages to both platforms, but working from Desktop is not any more efficent on either platform that I have found.

Mac
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 4, 2004
There definitely are advantages to both platforms, but working from Desktop is not any more efficent on either platform that I have found.

Mac, just out of curiosity, how much have you really used OS X? Just wondering.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 4, 2004
Mac, just out of curiosity, how much have you really used OS X? Just wondering.

Maybe 24 hours off an on on test machine at a "full time temp" job I’ve been doing for months now. Certainly don’t claim to be an ace with it or anything. I like it fine, though.

I’ve nothing at all against Macintosh. Own an old one (OS 8).

Matter of fact, had iMac/G2 boxes been out when I started my biz in ’97, might have swapped platforms, but then, there was a very hefty investment in software that would have had to have been re-purchased also.

But, as far as simple desktop functioning is concerned, really can’t see much diff in functionality. Yes, I know that many apps appear differently on desktop with Tosh, but don’t see it as any more efficient.

Mac
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 4, 2004
Thanks, Mac.
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 4, 2004
" The Windows is a beige box with all the attractiveness of rotting garbage
for it and its contents."

For those that judge a computer by there case a little searching, using google, will show that you can have a field day with PC and cases. Cases with names like Diablo, Powmax Chieftec, CG ATX, and Xoxide to name just a few. The come in every colour in the rainbow, in almost every material for glass to wood, in shapes from square to god know what, and with or without neon lighting. Did I mention that you can have them liquid cooled as well? Of course most people think the beige ones work perfectly well.

g.
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 4, 2004
The original poster asked which OS was better for graphics.

I miss Bob Hill
JH
Joe_Henry1000
May 4, 2004
Jodi,

Why is that? Do you think we’ve veered off topic?

Joe
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 4, 2004
I don’t 🙂

And, for every off topic thread this forum has ever seen (or drifting ones), Bob would have had a full time job…

Ray
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 4, 2004
Well you can’t run Windows on a Mac, or MacOS on a PC, not natively. Only with an intermediate emulation software, like Virtual Windows for the Macintosh, etc. Which slows things down to where you should have purchased the other platform to begin with (unless you just need it for special or occasional uses).

Mac

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections