Posted By
Raymond Robillard
Apr 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Good morning,

I discovered this trick yesterday, so I’m sharing it with you. This is probably not a new trick, but it was new to me when I realized it!

Elements has a very good color cast correction, but sometimes, it doesn’t work well. So here’s what I did :

I created 3 news layers, each in overlay mode, over my current picture. I filled them with pure green, pure blue and pure red (one color each), with the Paint Bucket Tool. Pure red is 255,0,0 in RGB values, for example, in the color picker. I set the opacity of these layers to 0% at start.

Next, if you find that the picture is too cold (more blue and green then red), simply slide gently the opacity value of the red layer to a higher value, until it suits your taste. Very small adjustments are needed, start with 2% to 4% and increase by 1 or 2%.

Same thing if your picture is too green, or too red (warm), slide the opposite colors opacity value to something higher. Usually, 8% will do, but YMMV.

And, then, one more trick.

If you click on the More button, at the top of the layer palette and choose New Layer, in Overlay mode, Elements will offer a 50% gray. Put a checkmark and click on ok.

This could serve as a brightness adjustment layer as well. Click on the Foreground color (this will bring the Color Picker), swith to the Brightness mode ("B" radio button), then lower the value expressed in percentage. A neutral gray is H = 0%, S = 0% and B = 50%. If you choose B = a lower value, you will decrease your picture’s brightness. Inversely, if you choose a higher value, you’ll increase it. Simply fill your neutral gray overlay mode layer with the new color (with the Paint Bucket tool).

Have fun!

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 30, 2004
Edit –

Hue is expressed in degrees (from 0 to 360). Sorry for the confusion.

Ray
DS
Dick_Smith
May 1, 2004
Ray,

Too Cool!

Dick
PA
Patti_Anderson
May 1, 2004
Neat trick, Ray!

Patti
DS
Dick_Smith
May 1, 2004
Ray,

I tried that on one of the Azalea image I posted at

<http://tinyurl.com/2t92b>

It really does a neat job.

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 1, 2004
Dick, lovely images and again I am jealous…my azalea’s aren’t doing anything yet. 🙁 …they may be dead

by the way….if you could stand a little Jodi mouth…that background color on your picture page is well…really not good.
DS
Dick_Smith
May 1, 2004
Ya, I know, give me some suggestions, would you? I sure would appreciate it. I need to disect that part of the program a little bit more to see where I could maybe put an image as a background. Nonetheless, my wife tells me all the time that I don’t have much color sense, so fire away!

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 1, 2004
Dick, just pic a color that wont scream…or overpower your images…black or white works but you can try a light beige or taupe…something neutral to that effect. The grey background in Elements is also a good neutral choice. I know you can do it 🙂
DS
Dick_Smith
May 1, 2004
Thanks, Jodi…..check it out for me, would you, I went with grey to see.

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 1, 2004
Much much better. Really. Goes great with the red flowers….don’t be afraid to change it periodically…just no more swimming scream pool green !!! 🙂
DS
Dick_Smith
May 1, 2004
Ok, I promise.<g> Until you mentioned it I hadn’t thought much about it but you were right! Swimming pool green it was. 😉
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 2, 2004
Nice pictures, indeed! Glad you liked the trick 🙂

Ray

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections