IM
Posted By
Iain_McCormick
Jan 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can any one tell me if there is a rule of thumb for pixels (ppi) and resolution (dpi). As im printing images up to 1300mm wide and most of my artwork is jepg’s and PDF’s, so not sure how to tell that the quality is good enough! The images will be viewed close up not from afar.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
chrisjbirchall
Jan 3, 2007
rule of thumb for pixels (ppi) and resolution (dpi).

300ppi is the norm for print quality although most inkjets will perform equally well with 240ppi files. On your printer "Photo Quality" is usually 1440 dpi and some have a 2880 dpi setting for very fine work.

my artwork is jpeg’s and PDF’s, so not sure how to tell that the quality is good enough

Be aware that Jpeg is a "lossy" format – even at it’s "high quality" setting. Each time you save a file as a Jpeg a great deal of information is discarded. Photoshop has to "reinvent" the missing data when it opens the compressed file. Each subsequent save will make the image progressively more pixelated.

A much better idea is to use TIFF or PSD and only save as a Jpeg when sending to or via the web and/or when no further editing/resizing will be required.

Hope this helps.

Chris.
IM
Iain_McCormick
Jan 4, 2007
oh ok cheers, but if some one has supplied me with a jpeg how do i tell if the quality would be good enough?
B
Bernie
Jan 4, 2007
Open it and look at it at 100%
C
chrisjbirchall
Jan 4, 2007
….then save it as a PSD for any further editing/resizing.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections