DD
Posted By
Dina_Dembicki
Oct 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all. I’ve searched this forum for answers but I haven’t found my specific question(s). If there is a thread that already exists, feel free to point me to it.

Qualifier: I’m new to web design and using Photoshop to generate web graphics. I am, however, an experienced designer, not new to PS, but primarily use it for image manipulation and color correction of photos for print. The point is, being a newbie to this aspect of using PS, I may be asking it to do something it can’t. I’d be interested in reading about best practices.

I’m using Photoshop CS3, v.10.0.1.

Background info: I have created a simple graphic for a splash page with a large logo in the middle, some text, and some navigation. The navigation has 1 rollover state. I have sliced the entire image, with the nav words being their own individual slices. Each nav word has a drop shadow and a color overlay effect applied to it. I saved the entire graphic’s slices (with the nav words effects hidden) via the Save for Web & Devices dialog, choosing save HTML and images. Open the HTML file in DW, all is grand.

So, now I have gone back into my PS file and shown the effects for the nav words. I want to save only those slices, with different names (i.e. _over appended to the name).

So, two things:

1: when saving, it creates a new folder every time, called Images, inside the Images folder that I’ve already pointed it to. Needless to say, it’s creating massive confusion for my newbie brain. If I’m not mistaken, I want to have only one Images folder per web site. I guess there’s some preference somewhere that I’ve failed to address. Please advise.

2: When trying to save an individual slice, via the Save for Web and Devices dialog, even though I have only one slice selected, it still wants to save all the slices (I think). (Nothing is grayed out when that one slice is selected, as others have noted in other posts.) And, even though I rename the slice in the save dialog box, it still gives me a message that it’s going to overwrite the original slice, which makes me think that it’s ignoring my instructions to save it as a new name…

I am gasping in frustration here. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

–Dina

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Oct 3, 2008
you control all that with the output settings. In the save for web interface. the little Arrow by the presets
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 3, 2008
Here, I’ve selected two slices (they have a brown outline):

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1ivGI29dbPcKJqUicf ICldb0Qg8oxr0>

And here, after hitting the first blue "save" button in the save for web dialog, I get this:

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1deKlDp3aOmDK9r9AN xfSREaNBMlg>
DD
Dina_Dembicki
Oct 3, 2008
Buko–thank you! Jeez, I thought I was losing it with all the nested Images folders. So I assume if I uncheck that box on the Saving Files dialog that says to save it in a specific folder, it will let me assign where to save it. What about naming conventions? Should I change the default in the Slices dialog, or the Saving Files dialog?

JMaloney: Hmmm. I will try that, although I don’t see how it’s different from what I have been doing… What is the difference between All Slices and Selected Slices? (besides the obvious) If I have one slice selected, and save All Slices, doesn’t it still save all the slices in the image, as opposed to just All the Selected Slices? (jeez, I have forgotten what it’s like when you don’t know jack.)

Thank you both!
B
Buko
Oct 3, 2008
It all depends what you want. Once you get to the dialog it pretty self explanatory
B
Buko
Oct 3, 2008
Remember click every little arrow you never know what nifty little dialogs you will find.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections