MS
Posted By
Mark_Sim
Jan 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Everytime I start Photoshop 6.01 I get the message ‘Adobe Online needs to connect to the Internet to update files. Is it okay to connect?’. It does it twice if I click no. It does it again when closing down. Clicking yes doesn’t stop the message coming up next time. I’m using a software firewall and I don’t want Photoshop to connect to the Internet. Anyone know how to switch the message off?

Happy New Year btw. Its already 2007 here!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 1, 2007
Turn it off. In 6 I believe it was in Edit>Adobe Online. Set Online Updates to Never.
MS
Mark_Sim
Jan 1, 2007
Brilliant thanks. I was looking under preferences for something like that but its under the ‘Window’ menu.
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 1, 2007
If you’re still using PS 6.0 you might want to seriously consider upgrading now to CS2.

CS3 will require a license to 7.0 or later.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 2, 2007
CS3 will require a license to 7.0 or later.

by that bob means they’re discontinuing the policy of giving the upgrade pricing to people with any older version of photoshop. they’ve announced that only people oging back 3 versions (in this case you must own 7 to get upgrade pricing to cs3 – v10) so if you have 6 and think at some time you might want to upgrade, get cs2 now then get hte upgrade to cs3 when it’s released. buying 2 upgrades (~160 each) is still cheaper than buying the full version all over again.

I hate it that adobe is taking on more and more qualities of the evil empire in washington state. did they hire some high priced ex-microsoft executive muckity muck or what’s going on?!! :-[
DC
David Creamer
Jan 2, 2007
Just to clarify–

The BETA version requires a license/serial number of [only] version Photoshop CS2 (stand-alone, CS2 Suite, or Video Studio) to get a temporary CS3 beta serial number.

Once the final product is released, you will be able to upgrade from only three versions back (version 7, CS, or CS2).
J
JasonSmith
Jan 2, 2007
"did they hire some high priced ex-microsoft executive muckity muck "

maybe they just have to compete with the muck?
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 2, 2007
I think once you go back three versions you’re not going to have a very big audience for upgrading. I think it probably comes down to the amount it cost to support an upgrade from something that old and it just got to the point where the bean counters said, "enough."

Bob
C
chrisjbirchall
Jan 2, 2007
….OR

It could be because PS6 was the last version to be released in an OEM version – and there are a heck of a lot of these being sold on eBay!
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 3, 2007
maybe they just have to compete with the muck?

they’re doing it wrong.

to the amount it cost to support an upgrade from something that old and it just got to the point where the bean counters said, "enough."

‘mon bob. they’re not "supporting" any upgrade. you know it’s a fresh install. all it is is a big screw you to the customer who spent his 600 bux a few years ago. i always thought it was a great source of pride for this company to say ‘hey, we know you haven’t upgraded in a while but here’s the best price we have for our previous clients. come on back, we like you!’ <g>

jason says that that’s "competing" cuz microsoft does it. ever think it might be called "competing" to NOT piss off custormers? too many businesses don’t.
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 3, 2007
You missed my point, Dave.

I was referring to the installation support needed to support those old versions. Note that I didn’t say I agreed with the policy.

Bob
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 3, 2007
Well you had me baffled too Bob. I still don’t follow your reasoning.
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 3, 2007
With older versions, you can’t just pop the upgrade in and install it. You need to call Adobe. You need to do this everytime you have to install the software.

I guess it’s just an expense they don’t want to carry.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 3, 2007
to quote mermaid man on spongebob:

"there’s EEEEEEEEVIIIIIIIL afoot!"

🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections