Enlarging an object in an image? crop out, then enlarge?

CW
Posted By
Chuck_Weirauch
Apr 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
thanks for your help! I need to make a larger image of an airplane that appears in a digital photo that I took at an air show. I would like to create an image file with just the enlarged airplane. Can I crop out the airplane, then enlarge it? If so, how? The original image file is over two megabytes, so the resolution should hold up. I ned to get this done fast without weeks of study to learn how to do this , so any help is appreciated.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 29, 2004
2MB image isn’t very large, really, if tiff, bmp, etc.

If JPEG, depending on compression level, could be much larger in actual pixels than the file size would suggest.

Once you crop (don’t specify any parameters), set the image width you want to print in Image Size with Resample OFF. See what ppi you have left. You need 200-300 for a good print.

If you need more, you can upsample (increase ppi with Resample ON), but this is a kludge, creating pixels from "thin air", and won’t give quality results, although it may help some.

General rule is that you need 200-300 ppi at actual output size from original pixels for a good print image.

(assuming you are doing this for print).

Mac
CF
Callum_Ferguson
Apr 29, 2004
Chuck.

If JPG 2MB would probably be 3Mpx and as such would give you a decent A4 when cropped assuming the plane is more than a dot in the sky,
I’ve found there is not much visible deference between 200 and 300 dpi when printed and all in all is very acceptable. However, if the plane size when cropped is only about 1000 px or so you would be pushing for an 7 x 5.
As Mac says pixels are invented but Elements using Bicubic interpolating seems to perform wonders. Regards
Malcolm
CW
Chuck_Weirauch
Apr 30, 2004
Thanks, Mac and Callum! I will give it a go.
Chcuk

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections