Posted By
troyhouse
Sep 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dear Adobe,
This is a very serious plea to add copyright info when using the "save for web" feature. Save for Web is one of Photoshops most valuable features but without the ability to at least save copyright info many of us can not use this. Is there a reason I am missing? After what has transpired in the last 24 hours with the Orphaned Works bill, this has become 100 times more important.
Thanks
Troy

PS Photographers, please add your feelings below and write adobe if you agree.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SW
Scott_Weichert
Sep 30, 2008
So, you want some arbitrary data added to every image? Why not just add a copyright notice yourself before saving for web?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 30, 2008
If the copyright notice has been appended to the metadata, you can include it in every image by checking the appropriate box in the SFW dialog.

If you include your images in a Flash-driven Adobe Web gallery, it makes it harder (but not impossible) for people to grab them illicitly.
LT
Lonna_Tucker
Sep 30, 2008
Ann is right, click the tiny arrow Troy (you really have to go in search of this on the Save for web preset pane) to reveal "include XMP". Pretty crude offering if you ask me. If Orphan Works passes, visual artists will need some kind of technology that embeds copyright and other XMP info into the image permanently. I have bitched about this for years…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 30, 2008
Lonna:

Metadata in SFW is much easier to manage in CS4.
T
troyhouse
Sep 30, 2008
Lonna and others,
Thank you. That is absurd that is buried so far down but at least it is there. Thank you Troy
CD
Cameron_Davidson
Sep 30, 2008
Please make it easier to save your data to images that are saved for web. I am asking that Adobe make the default setting so that copyright information and contact information is included with the file.

With Orphan Works passing the Senate and possibly becoming law, it is critical for Adobe to change how images are saved to websites.

Thank you.

Cameron
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Sep 30, 2008
Selecting those images in the bridge and adding the xmp to all of them is not practical for you?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 30, 2008
It seems that a few people here are misunderstanding the audience of this forum. Make your feature requests directly to Adobe. This user to user forum is not the place to make feature requests.
CD
Cameron_Davidson
Sep 30, 2008
Jim

Do you have a link to where one can make a request to Adobe? That would be helpful.

Wade,

Not everyone embraces or uses "Bridge." I don’t. This is a serious issue and needs to be addressed by Adobe. Any image that was "saved for web" with the metadata stripped (by Photoshop, I might add) is open territory for someone to use the image under the new "Orphan Works" rules. (If they pass). Any user can "claim" that they had no way to find the creator of the image since their is no metadata attached to the image. Yes, Bridge is one way to do this, but it is another step in the process and why must Adobe by default, strip the data?

Thank you.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 30, 2008
At the bottom of every Adobe web page is a ‘contact us’ link. Click that, then choose the feedback tab.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 30, 2008
Cameron,

why must Adobe by default, strip the data?

While I understand you concern, Save for Web… attempts to make file "weight" as low as possible — specifically to optimize images for the Web. Adding any metadata would defeat that.

But, sure, no reason why it can’t be an option for saving files. Let Adobe know.

Neil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Sep 30, 2008
Not everyone embraces or uses "Bridge." I don’t.

I feel for you but you will have to learn to embrace the Bridge as it becomes more important to the working of the creative suites integration.

No way around it. You’ll see how much you like it in the future and how you will become to depend Γ on it.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 30, 2008
Any user can "claim" that they had no way to find the creator of the image since their is no metadata attached to the image.

There may also be a fundamental misunderstanding of protecting images on a web page here. There are very, very, very few people that will be looking at meta data in an image for copyright. And few applications will even reveal that meta data to the user.

You can’t stop someone from taking your image from your site and you can’t track what they do with it. The best way that anyone can try to protect their copyright is to stamp a visible mark somewhere on the image that not only announces copyright but points the viewer to your site (ex: Β© 2008 Joe Photography – joephoto.com). So if someone steals your image and posts it elsewhere, other viewers will know where to find the source. The image thief may be your best marketer.
LT
Lonna_Tucker
Sep 30, 2008
Most of the problems I encounter are from clients use of my hi-res photography, whether intentional or otherwise. I’m looking for technology that embeds my copyright information permanently into the image when I create a hi-res file for delivery. A watermark is not the answer and neither is XMP as long as it can be stripped out, or in the case of a jpeg left out when a client creates a new jpeg. I have seen watermarks retouched out and and bylines cropped off especially when files are sent out for PR and editorial purposes.

Why can’t an authors copyright and contact info be embedded once to a photo and locked for security against deletion or changes by others?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 30, 2008
JPG, GIF, and PNG were never designed for DRM. No watermark or meta trick will change this.

If you don’t want hi-res photos loose, don’t release them.

If you need to demonstrate the hi-res quality of your art, consider zoomify, which chops your image into tiles and makes them less prone for theft.

seen watermarks retouched out and and bylines cropped off

How do you retouch or crop a watermark that appears in the center of an image or over the subject?
JM
J_Maloney
Sep 30, 2008
<https://www.digimarc.com/mypicturemarc/>

You can run the demo on your images in PS to see how it affects image quality.

J
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 30, 2008
Not everyone embraces or uses "Bridge." I don’t.>

Cameron:

I suggest that you will want to revise that opinion once you see the CS4 version of Bridge and Bridge-hosted ACR 5.x.

The new version frankly knocks the socks off Lightroom and is a completely different animal from Bridge CS3!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 30, 2008
How do you retouch or crop a watermark that appears in the center of an image or over the subject? >

For someone who is determined to steal, and has reasonable retouching skills, it is not impossible. Also plastering a visible watermark right across an image does attract from its appeal if you are hoping to attract buyers.

You could always register with Digimarc if you think that it is worth it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 30, 2008
I think John Nack must have known what Cameron was going to say this morning and therefore posted this especially for him:

<http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/>

[The NEW Bridge]
PR
Paul_R
Sep 30, 2008
Getting back to the metadata, in PSCS4 SFW there are the following options.

None.
Copyright.
Copyright and Contact Info.
All Except Camera Info.
All.

Also if you use an existing script that does SFW and use it on PSCS4 the resultant file will retain IPTC information.
JM
J_Maloney
Sep 30, 2008
Any ideas how much data this ads? "(c) Jizzy 2008" adds over 14k to an image right now (CS3). Ouch.
PR
Paul_R
Sep 30, 2008
Adding copyright and "(c) Jizzy 2008", saving both with a quality of 100, optimized, added 3k
JM
J_Maloney
Sep 30, 2008
In CS4?

Still, I just saved the first scene of "The Tempest" as a 3k text file. Maybe I’ll go write my own "creative suite." πŸ˜‰
PR
Paul_R
Sep 30, 2008
Yes CS4
AD
Anita Dennis
Oct 1, 2008
In the Save for Web & Devices dialog in Photoshop CS4, you can opt to include copyright metadata on your JPGs, GIFs, and PNGs. See < http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WS29D0201B-A3E2-4 339-9747-8FB540762EE3.html>.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 1, 2008
Thanks, Anita, for taking the time to post.

Neil
B
Buko
Oct 1, 2008
But you can still strip it off.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections