Posted By
littlez
Sep 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a file that I can’t open. It tells me this:

Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop.

I built this file with the same version. I tried it on 3 different computers. I can see the file in preview, but it has a bunch of colors in horizontal lines. HELP! I need this file!!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 29, 2008
a bunch of colors in horizontal lines>

Unfortunately, that means that the file is corrupt.

If you Saved it across a network, that was probably what caused the trouble.

Try opening it in Illustrator or GraphicConverter because you might be able to retrieve a Composite version — although any Layers are, almost certainly, toast.
L
littlez
Sep 29, 2008
I didn’t save it across a network. when I try and open it in AI then it comes as a black box. what is Graphic Converter?
L
littlez
Sep 29, 2008
I went back to my time machine back up. about 10 folders up, there is a file, although it’s not near complete, it’s there and not corrupt. It’s missing about 10 minutes worth of work. However, it made me think, would this be due to a time machine save while working on it?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 29, 2008
I am afraid that I don’t know the answer because i have avoided Leopard (and am still using OSX 10.4.11) but a Time-machine save might possibly cause something like that.

Can you experiment further with an image which has no importance?
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 29, 2008
Other reasons why a file can be corrupted is bad or loose connectors or cables, bad or loose RAM, failing hard drive, maybe a bad power supply…

Neil
L
littlez
Sep 29, 2008
Neil,

help me by explaining. I want to prevent this from happening again!!

I don’t think I had loose cables. I just checked them all.

I have a brand new hard drive.

What is Loose Ram?? I think I need to ad ram. Since going to the new system my computer is a lot slower.

What is flash memory?

Bad power supply? Like I should replace my surge protector?

thanks
R
Ram
Sep 29, 2008
I have a brand new hard drive.

So what? New hard drives can and do fail, occasionally.

What is Loose Ram??

RAM modules that are not properly seated inside your machine.

I think I need to ad ram. Since going to the new system my computer is a lot slower.

You always need more RAM, until you’ve maxed your machine out.

What is flash memory?

Things like USB memory devices, used as hard drives to transfer files.

Bad power supply? Like I should replace my surge protector?

No. The power supply is a large transformer and circuitry inside your machine. It converts electrical current and supplies it to all internal parts of your computer.
R
Ram
Sep 29, 2008
don’t think I had loose cables. I just checked them all.

Including all cables inside the box? I didn’t think so. 😉
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 29, 2008
littlez,

You’ve told us nothing about your system and what you’ve done, so we couldn’t tell you why your system is slow.

re: loose RAM — simply that your computer’s RAM is not fully seated and locked in the slots.

re: new hard drive — did you format it? A lot of off-the-shelf hard drives are formatted for Windows optimization. I recommend that unless a Mac-savvy shop installed the drive for you, you probably need to reformat it to . Careful — unless you back up onto another drive or discs, you will lose everything. (From another drive with an OS on it, or booting off your System DVD, launch Disk Utility, click Erase, select the drive, and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Do NOT select any choice with "case-sensitive" in its name.

re: flash memory — a device for recording data without any moving parts, such as some of the USB memory sticks, or SD and CF cards. CDs and DVDs are not flash memory.

re: power supply. No, not your surge protector, but the power supply inside the computer itself.

Neil
L
littlez
Sep 30, 2008
thank you for your help. An apple store did all the work, so think I’ll bring it back.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 30, 2008
Good idea!

Neil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections