PT
Posted By
Patrick_Toomey
Sep 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Howdy all, this post is similar but not identical to others. EVERY TIME that I use CS3 10.0.1 the application crashes when I use the menu to "QUIT PHOTOSHOP." This occurs even if I have opened the application and NEVER opened a photo at all! My MAC OS is 10.5.5. I am running on an Intel iMac of 20 inches. I have 3 GB of RAM and have a 235 GB hard drive of which 132 GB is free. On the iMac I have Parallels installed but this happens even if I am not running Parallels; ie. even if I have not been using XP at all. In fact it happens even if Photoshop is the ONLY application running. I have an Epson 2400 printer, a Linksys router, and a Brother 2040 laser on the system. I also have an HP 2175 scanner, but the crash occurs even if I have this turned off and disconnected from the system. The error message that I get is " The application Photoshop quite unexpectedly. " I use the Apple automatic check for updates function and that is how I got to this version of Mac OS.
Does anyone have any suggestions? This happens every time. When using Photoshop I do not get any crashes, and it seems to work trouble free. ONLY when I go to close do I get these error messages.

Patrick Toomey
Charlottesville, VA

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Sep 28, 2008
This is usually (though not always) caused by a corrupted saved workspace file.
PT
Patrick_Toomey
Sep 28, 2008
Ramon,
Thanks for the reply. Let me explain one other detail. First, th crash ONLY occurs when I QUIT Photoshop. When I enter and quite Bridge it does not occur. The reason that I mention this is that I do use a saved WORKSPACE in Bridge but I do not have one within PHOTOSHOP. Could the workspace within BRIDGE corrupt the Photoshop applicaiton as well?

Patrick Toomey
Charlottesville, Virginia USA
R
Ram
Sep 28, 2008
Who knows!
PT
Patrick_Toomey
Sep 28, 2008
Ramon,
I have gone into Bridge and attempted to delete that custom workspace, but even after several tries the workspace that I created will not delete. Is there a file that I can go to outside of Bridge/Photoshop that I can delete manually within finder?

Patrick
R
Ram
Sep 28, 2008
Patrick,

Yes, deleting saved workspace files is the only effective way of getting rid of them, especially if they are corrupted.

Do a search on the name of the workspace.

Apple’s Spotblight is a piece of crap that misses a bunch of files, so I use the free EasyFind instead.

I’m not at my Mac right now, so I can’t look up the exact location of workspace files for you.
PT
Patrick_Toomey
Sep 29, 2008
Solved!! I have no idea what was wrong, and no idea what I did to correct the problem, but it works now. First I re-installed Mac OS. Leopard and checked for ALL of the available updates. At that point I attempted to boot Photoshop, but I got a message that I needed to re-install CS3. After re-installing this, tedious I might add, and attempting to start the application, edit some photos, etc, then QUIT the application all was fine again. I might add, that I was NEVER able to delete the custom workspace that I created within Bridge. I could not find a file with that name and using the menu option to delete the workspace was not effective. At this point the application works fine, as does the custom workspace within Bridge . I must therefore conclude that the workspace was never the culprit in this strange order of events.

Patrick Toomey
Charlottesville, VIrginia

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections