Posted By
Denomay_A
Dec 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi!

I’m not a professional photographer but quite experience in Photoshop. I’ve recently updated to the CS2 version. Since then, I have huge issues with color management. I’ve read that I should choose Adobe RGB 1998 as my workspace, but it just won’t match. My pictures look like if a major “yellow/orange” filter had been applied on.

Then, if I click on "Proof colors", an enormous change of tones occurs! It’s the first time I have to deal with that sort of problem, so if someone could just tell me what are the best color settings I should use….

I also have that mysterious filter on my pictures inside “Bridge” & even in “Camera RAW”….. So when I send them back to CS2 & save them without any other adjustments, the colors appear completely different in any other program…No clue why….

Thanks a lot for the help; I’ve visited this forum quite a few times since a while now. 😉

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Bernie
Dec 29, 2006
Depending on what you do, you may want to use sRGB as your working space instead.

Also, you have to make sure you always honour the embedded profiles
RP
Russell_Proulx
Dec 29, 2006
I would suggest that your monitor profile is defective. What are you using to profile your monitor?

Russell
DA
Denomay_A
Dec 29, 2006
Well I’m mainly posting my pictures on Flickr (Web) & printing them…

But when I accept the embedded profile & don’t use my workspace profile, I still get the same filter! :O

The only way to disable it is for me to use my Monitor RGB profile…. Which I know isn’t good since the entire world will see my photos differently than I do…:S

What should I do?
Can you tell me what are the best settings?

I use Adobe Gamma…I know it isn’t the best thing to do, but I just got my new monitor & don’t believe that it could be that much of a big difference!…Could it?
I mean, my BW, in sRGB, are not even BW. They have a brown filter on them… mmmmm?? Why?
R
RobertHJones
Dec 29, 2006
The only way to disable it is for me to use my Monitor RGB profile….

This is a sure sign that your monitor profile is incorrect.

Setting the working space to the monitor profile causes Photoshop to not use the monitor profile when displaying the working document. The color values will be sent directly to the display as is. In effect you are seeing what it would look like not color managed. Setting the working space to sRGB or Adobe RGB results in the monitor profile being used and you are getting bad color. The monitor profile is BAD.

You shouldn’t set the working space to the monitor profile unless you entirely disable color management throughout Photoshop. And, you never ever want to embed that profile in the saved file.

I use Adobe Gamma…I know it isn’t the best thing to do, but I just got my new monitor & don’t believe that it could be that much of a big difference!…Could it?

Yes, it could.

Adobe gamma is designed to work with CRTs and doesn’t do a good job with LCDs. If you just bought a new monitor, it’s likely you got an LCD. You can load the generic profile that came with your monitor and save it without modification and it might come close. There are some other eye-ball calibration software packages that may do a better job with an LCD. But, realistically, an eye-ball calibration can’t compete with a hardware calibration device.

I mean, my BW, in sRGB, are not even BW. They have a brown filter on them… mmmmm?? Why?

Improper calibration resulting in a bad monitor profile comes to mind…

Do yourself a big favor and read the following two articles on Photoshop CS2 color management:

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps9_colour/ps9_1.htm

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps9_print/ps9_print_1.htm

You really need to get a decent calibration for your monitor. Consider investing in a hardware calibration device. It’s worth every penny.

If this is not possible and you can’t get close on an eye-ball calibration, consider shooting your photos in sRGB, disable all color management in photoshop, and save with either sRGB embedded or save them untagged.
C
chrisjbirchall
Dec 29, 2006
but I just got my new monitor

Is it CRT or LCD?

Adobe Gamma is not usually suitable for profiling an LCD monitor.
DA
Denomay_A
Dec 29, 2006
It is a LCD.
Thank you so much for your help Robert!! Greatly appreciated! I’ll go to the store today & buy a calibrating device.

Which one would you consider being the best and the most reasonable in term of price?

& I’m immediately going to read those two links you just gave me… Thanks! 😉
R
RobertHJones
Dec 29, 2006
I’ll go to the store today & buy a calibrating device. Which one would you consider being the best and the most reasonable in term of price?

The two most common calibrating devices you’ll find are the Spyder2 and the Eye-One Display 2. The Spyder2 is generally a little less expensive than the Eye-One Display 2. But, both devices are sold in several versions (which differ mainly in the software features). In my part of the country, the Spyder2 is easier to find in a retail store. Check the features and software included before you decide which to buy.

Both devices are good and you’ll be able to get a decent calibration from either. The Spyder2 does a slight bit better in the shadows while the Eye-One does better in the highlights. If you are a wedding photographer trying to keep detail in white wedding dresses, go for the Eye-One. The Eye-One is also a bit faster in the calibration.

If you decide on the Spyder2, make sure you get the Spyder2 and not the original Spyder. I still see the original Spyder being sold from time to time and it is definitely not as good as the current Spyder2 device and comes nowhere close to the Eye-One. The Eye-One is very popular. You’ll sometimes see the original Eye-One for sale. It will work also, but you’ll need to download the current Display 2 software in order to calibrate an LCD. If you decide on the Eye-One, I’d recommend getting the current Display 2 model.
DA
Denomay_A
Dec 30, 2006
Oh I see! Well thanks!
I’m going to the store tomorrow.

Your help means a lot to me, thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections