H
Posted By
hoyden4
Mar 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know I might be beating a dead horse here, but I can’t seem to find the info I need.

Why won’t PShop 5 let me convert my .psd image to .jpg? It’s flattened and it’s set to 8bit…

To make things more complicated, I didn’t originally create the image and I don’t know in what form this image originally began its life. But the pic was sent to me as a .psd and now PShop won’t give me an option to convert to .jpg. arrrggg.

thanks,
ck

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MR
Mike Richmann
Mar 5, 2004
ck wrote:
I know I might be beating a dead horse here, but I can’t seem to find the info I need.

Why won’t PShop 5 let me convert my .psd image to .jpg? It’s flattened and it’s set to 8bit…

To make things more complicated, I didn’t originally create the image and I don’t know in what form this image originally began its life. But the pic was sent to me as a .psd and now PShop won’t give me an option to convert to .jpg. arrrggg.

Will it let you save to any other lossless format, e.g. bitmap, tiff, etc.?

It might be possible to save to one of those and then try the JPEG route from there…

Mike
J
john
Mar 5, 2004
In article ,
(ck) wrote:

Check file -> mode. Is it by any chance ‘index’? Change to RGB.
R
RTM
Mar 5, 2004
Make sure you don’t have any extra channels in the Channels palette, just the R,G & B ones.

Ron.

ck wrote in message

thanks,
ck
D
Dope
Mar 5, 2004
Just a thought but in my version of PS (not v. 5) the .JPG option in the Save dialog is at the top of the list of formats and is not visible unless I scroll up. It might be there but you can’t see it.

HTH
John

"ck" wrote in message

thanks,
ck

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.608 / Virus Database: 388 – Release Date: 03/03/04
T
tacitr
Mar 5, 2004

It probably has an alpha channel.

Photoshop 5 has a command just under "Save As" in the file menu that is called "Save a Copy."

The Save a Copy command is how you save an image in a format that does not support layers, channels, and so on. You use Save As to create a .PSD, then use Save a Copy to create some other format. I bet if you use Save a Copy, you can save your file in JPEG format.

Hope that helps…

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections