G
Posted By
giannispass
Dec 27, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, am a wedding photographer and i am looking for a good scanner. Can i have your help? I dont want to scan negatives, just photos.
Looking forward to your reply

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

H
Ho
Dec 27, 2006
I dont want to scan negatives, just photos.

Please be a little more descriptive of your needs and your intent. Scanning prints will almost always result in a lower quality product, unless you are scanning custom (darkroom dodged and burned) prints. In that case, with excellent prints and a good quality scanner, your files will be about on par with an average film scanner.

Is this really what you want?
C
chrisjbirchall
Dec 27, 2006
Based upon your exhaustive list of requirements, I’d recommend this one.
QP
Q_Photo
Dec 28, 2006
giannispass,

While I agree that you have not provided very much info as to your requirements I will give my opinion. Nearly any scanner (Epson, Canon or HP) that has an optical resolution of at least 3200 should serve your purpose.

As stated, a scanned copy will not be as good as the original. However, if you know your way around Photoshop, you will be able to make it better than the original.

I am also a wedding photographer. Although I now use only digital cameras I used film for many years. For each wedding I would select a few prints, scan them and do special effects in Photoshop. These would be inserted into the album. Customer response was always favorable. Not one time did the client say "Oh, these photos have been scanned and are not of the high quality that we expected".

Each week I spend many hours doing photo restorations from scanned images. Customers are usually impressed.

I will say that you must start out with a well scanned image. In other words, you will need to know how to get the best scan possible to get best results.

I use a four or five year old Epson 2450. Not ‘state of the art’ by any means. You should be able to find a scanner better than it for about $100.00 to $200.00. The Epson 4490 (up to 4800 dpi) Photo at two hundred dollars comes to mind. Epson V100 Photo at one hundred dollars is another possibility. It goes up to 3200 dpi.

Just my opinions… You had a question and I thought it deserved a reasonable answer.

Q
RB
Robert_Barnett
Dec 28, 2006
I have the Epson V700, a little costly but well worth the money. Very good hardware, very good resolution with very good software and it does an incredible job with film and slides as well as prints. The dual lens design makes a very big difference in the scan quality.

Robert

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections