P
Posted By
Phosphor
Sep 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Nack’s Blog: PS CS4ย—Sweating the Details < http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/09/cs4_sweating_the_detail s.html#more>Interface

….

ย• Return to three "F" screen modes (vs. CS3’s four) ย• Application frame (optional on Mac for those who want more managed document/window handling)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Sep 23, 2008
isn’t that wonderful.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 23, 2008
And for the paintists, a rotatable canvas. Now that’s something they’ve been wanting for years!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 23, 2008
Adding new handle bars to your tricycle does not impress me much.
B
Buko
Sep 23, 2008
And all the switchers will love the Application container. I kinda like the tabs.
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2008
Whether I sell some family heirloom in order to afford to upgrade to CS4 will depend entirely on whether ACR 5.x brings out some as-of-now inconceivable advance.

In my case it will mean having to buy a new computer system. The G4 is not supported any more. At least Tiger 10.4.11 is supported by Photoshop basic but not by Photoshop Extended, which requires Leopard.

Fortunately, I don’t see any compelling feature in Photoshop 11, at least in what we know now. I’m happy. ๐Ÿ™‚
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2008
System Requirements:

Photoshop Basic

Mac OS

* PowerPCยฎ G5 or multicore Intelยฎ processor
* Mac OS X v10.4.11ย–10.5.4
* 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
* 2GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on flash-based storage devices)
* 1,024×768 display (1,280×800 recommended) with 16-bit video card * Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0 * DVD-ROM drive
* QuickTime 7.2 software required for multimedia features * Broadband Internet connection required for online services*
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 23, 2008
The smile is already on her face ย— she has been using CS4 for months!

From mid-day today the CS4 NDA was lifted and we can now talk about it.

Bridge CS4 is absolutely fabulous:
very fast; entirely stable; able to access the Lightroom Galleries (that is how I have been building all of the Galleries that I have given links to!); and has full-screen previews at the touch of the space bar. And ACR 5 is also another leap forward to ย— I love it!

Photoshop CS4 is simply the best version ever!

All of the clumsiness of that dreadful CS3 GUI has been re-tooled ย— although I will need to buy a new GL video card to be able to use some of the coolest of the new features fully.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 23, 2008
I can ride my bike with no handle bars too.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Sep 23, 2008
In my case it would mean having to buy a new computer system. The G4 is not supported any more.

Although "unsupported," FWIW CS4 will generally run on a strong G4 setup. Review of CS4 and G4 operational commentary here:
<http://www.imaging-resource.com/SOFT/CS4/CS4.HTM>
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2008
I’ve never ridden a bicycle, so I don’t even need one.
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2008
Thanks, Allen. That’s good to know. My G4 has been strengthened to the max, especialle the video card. ๐Ÿ™‚
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 23, 2008
When Alpha status comes with a blank check, call me -until then, forget it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 23, 2008
I have been running CS4 in 10.4.11 and it has been rock-solid and totally super.

I have only launched CS3 during the past summer so that I could answer questions here without inadvertently giving-out any info. pertaining to CS4.

I don’t know about MO and his bike (because I can’t ride a bike anyway!) but I do know that CS4 doesn’t swerve into the ditch on this computer!

๐Ÿ™‚
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 23, 2008
I can fix that.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Sep 23, 2008
When Alpha status comes with a blank check, call me -until then, forget it.

Ann has already been using CS$ (the dollar sign was a typo, but I decided that it is an appropriate Freudian slip so I left it) and if it is stable for her it will likely be stable for me.

Now what I need is to decide that the large upgrade cost for the Design Premium Suite is somehow of more value to me than putting the money into photo hardware. Probably I will upgrade my client’s version and leave my personal version at CS3.
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2008
Ann,

(because I can’t ride a bike anyway!)

That makes two of us, ๐Ÿ˜‰ (Well, maybe. Have you never been able to ride a bike? I’ve never even tried to.)
B
Buko
Sep 23, 2008
Yeah CS4 is rock solid on a G5 running 10.4.11
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 23, 2008
The last time that I was actually riding a bike (about 45 years ago) I fell off on an icy road; cut myself pretty badly and retired permanently from bicycle-riding.

I did try again last autumn, because I thought it might be something that we would want to do in the Chinese countryside, but couldn’t even get mounted in the saddle.

Having decided that I got a D-minus in Bike Riding, we found a nice man who owned a small boat and spent the day that had been designated for bike-riding blissfully messing around in boats instead.

๐Ÿ™‚
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 23, 2008
See the pod cast this morning?

See the lady talk about the new and improved features to warn users when building files?

See how she stated that there will be no more press problems?

See how she is so dead wrong and needs to wake up?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 23, 2008
I did watch the podcast and i really wondered why they included her because she admitted that multi-media content was foreign territory for her.

And then, as I recall, went on to discuss re-purposing Illustrator and Flash content for use in InDesign for PDF Presentations and Press output.

This is an area where all the new and extremely powerful interconnectivity between the programs in the Suite could cause a lot of unwary people to come off the rails ย— and keep people like MO very fully employed trying to sort out their messes!

๐Ÿ™‚
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 23, 2008
No one understands process control like me. And I guess it will just stay that way…
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Sep 23, 2008
I actually just had a chance to try CS4 not as experienced with aCS4 as others are here are some features that appeal to me especially since I do retouching often.

a preview with the stamp tool so you can see source area as a brush overlay the target area.

that in itself is worth the update the rotate canvas is a wrist safer and relieves the cramping effect of doing things repetitive with an unnatural grip.

Resizing brushes dynamically by dragging. And My favorite since I work with architects and this can ring in more revenue. Support for 3D model import into a 3D space that can interact as a layer and you can create 3D objects as well. But it is not a 3D program.

OK dynamic zooming and panning which I love I can see using this all the time. I was zooming in and out. If you are real strong you pan across a whole image with one swipe.

The mask panel is powerful as well. And the adjustment panel I am told you will have this opened all the time.

I was shown a lot of things but my mind if not all that sharp so I am sure I have this all accurate though I think I do.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Sep 23, 2008
A "process" good way to describe it!

Just a joke!
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 23, 2008
I saw you in there Ann and felt like giving you a wave. ๐Ÿ˜‰
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 23, 2008
I am not exactly sure where the "There" was: splat on an icy road; or messing about on a bamboo raft boat?!

8/

But I think that you probably meant that other "There"?

๐Ÿ˜‰
B
Buko
Sep 23, 2008
See the lady talk about the new and improved features to warn users when building files?

Yeah I was wondering why she was there.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 23, 2008
I imagine that it was her Boss whom Adobe invited ย… but only he knows what on earth possessed him to bring her along too!
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2008
but only he knows what on earth possessed him to bring her along too!

Was she what you would call a "babe"? ๐Ÿ˜‰
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 23, 2008
Yeah I was wondering why she was there.

To show how brilliant the software is and that anyone can use it.
B
Buko
Sep 23, 2008
Was she what you would call a "babe"?

Far from it.

To show how brilliant the software is and that anyone can use it.

Sad but true.

And they were from Portland.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 23, 2008
At least Adobe is finally understanding how dumb there users are, but they are far from brilliant software.

Brilliant is seamless. Adobe products are no where near that status yet. Actually they are lost in many areas.
B
Buko
Sep 23, 2008
yeah but if you do know what you are doing the steps are in the right direction even though the software is nowhere near idiot proof. I really like the new ID.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
the software is nowhere near idiot proof>

Well CS4 wasn’t exactly designed for the "Idiot Niche Market" was it?

It’s was surely designed to be "Software for the Rest of Us" ย…ย… wasn’t it?

8/
DK
Doug_Katz
Sep 24, 2008
Ann? Split scroll History panel?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 24, 2008
By adding complexity without actual world usability studies for long durations – they just wind up with what is called "safe features". Low risk, low performance, non global solutions that would reflect in true technology strides for all Adobe products. Not one single division within Adobe really understands any one market clearly and places fluff over function so that stock holders are appeased. They truly don’t get it after 10 plus years… Ask anyone in print and you will get a resounding = they just don’t get it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
Ann? Split scroll History panel? >

Nope!

๐Ÿ™

continue to beg for it but i think that Adobe had bigger fish to fry this time around.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 24, 2008
Lets all just stick our hands in our butt – just like the logo dictates.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections