DG
Posted By
David_Greenway
Apr 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I don’t have a lot of time and searching thru this site is frustrating. Has anyone else had this problem and know of a fix. I’ve been using PE since August of 2003 and this is the first time I’ve had this problem. Here is the bug report that I submitted this morning.

Following this morning’s startup of PE2.0 and its initial connection and automatic download from your web I am unable to open any picture file. I had not used PE for maybe 4 weeks prior to this.

Suspect bug in the download.

Steps to reproduce bug:
(There are two methods – here is the first)
1. Open PE2.0
2. Open Windows Explorer,
3. Select a picture,
4. Right click and specify Open using…
5. Select Photoshop elements.

Results:
Following a 3-5 minute pause I get the following error message: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."

(Here is the second method)
1. Open PE2.0
2. Using the PE window, select Browse for File

Results:
When I attempt to open a file I get ‘ file:///C:/Program%20Files/Adobe/Photoshop%20Elements%202/HR MLPalettes/Welcome/PlayBuiltInCommand(showFileBrowserPalette)’. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.

Expected results:
In both cases, prior to this morning, the picture should open in the PE window.

Please email me with a fix if the bug is due to the download that I received from your autodownload system this morning. If it is from something on my end please suggest a fix. – Thank you, Dave Greenway.

Anyway, if any of you know of a fix could you post it here or if lengthy, let me know and I’ll send you my email address.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 23, 2004
David,

As far as I know, there have not been any updates to Elements 2. So, the problem most likely does not stem from this mornings attempt. People have reported many different things with the auto-download. Most of us, maybe all, have disable that feature. Go to Edit>Preference>Adobe Online and change the frequency to "never."

Secondly, you might want to try resetting your "Preferences" to see if that helps. To do so, IMMEDIATELY after clicking the icon to start Elemetns, hold donw Control>Alt>Shift and keep them pressed till you receive a message asking if you want to delete the preferences. Click yes and let elemetns load.

Just a thought, but see if this helps.

Dick
DG
David_Greenway
Apr 23, 2004
Nope, neither of those worked.
My camera came with it’s own software (Camedia) and it still works fine so I’m sure it has something to do specifically with PE. If anyone else has an idea feel free to post it and I’ll give it a try.

I’ll wait to see if Tech Services replies to the bug report first and then if that doesn’t work I’ll most likely dump and reload PE (as a – hopefully – last resort).
IH
Ingrid_Halvorsen
Apr 26, 2004
Try using PSE2’s File Browser (Window menu) instead of Windows Explorer.
NS
Nancy_S
Apr 26, 2004
Perhaps something overwrote a PE file in the weeks since you’ve used it. Try reinstalling over the top of existing installation??

I have heard of conflicts with the Camedia software and PE. What do you use Camedia for? Do you need it if you transfer your images to your computer via a Card Reader?
RC
Robert_Camacho
Apr 26, 2004
Hi

I have a suggestion which you should use as a last option. I have seen many Window systems get it’s registry corrupt for no apparent reason. Here is something you can try and let us know if it resolved your problem. The most essential step in to make a backup of your present registry first.

If I had a problem like yours I would do the following:

1) Back up registry (Most important!)

2) Uninstall Photoshop Elements program

3) Manually check to see if all relative directories were deleted, if not, delete them. I do not use XP but it could be in more than one folder. eg C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2, D:\Documents and Settings\[User name]\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop. It could be located in some other directory on your system. Delete them manually if it still exists.

4) Download free registry cleaner (RegScrubXP 3.25) and install. After installing the Registry Cleaner run the program till it comes back with no errors to fix – some times it could take two or three runs to fix all the errors. I have used a registry cleaner called RegClean.exe for Win95/Win98 and RegCleaner.exe for WinNT/ME/2000 with good success but until now have not had a need for the XP platform. I did a search and found RegScrubXP 3.25 at the following site: <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2048>

Wait for the download to start on its own. Do not click on the screen which appears with Registry Mechanic. The file you want to download is called RegScrubXP 3.25. Make sure that’s the one you get as that one is the free one.

5) Reboot system

6) Re-install Photoshop Elements program

7) Try opening your photo now

8) Let us know if it did or did not work

Good luck
Robert
MS
Mark_Sand
May 4, 2004
David,
Your error message "cannot find file…PlayBuiltInCommand…" caught my eye. I had a similar problem suddenly come up for no apparant reason, when I try to access items from the Welcome screen. If you do a forum search on "PlayBuiltInCommand", my problem and how I tried to (unsuccesfully) fix it is documented under the topics "error messages using Welcome Screen and How To palette" and "error message when using startup screen". I tried uninstalling and reinstalling PSE2 several times with no success. I deleted every adobe file on my computer before reinstalling. I called Adobe help and they couldn’t figure it out. Since the error message (at least in my case) is issued from Microsoft Internet Explorer, I’m guessing maybe it has to do with some MS patch I applied or maybe when I installed a newer version of IE. Anyway, since everything else in PSE2 works OK I haven’t pursued it any further.

Robert’s registry solution looks intriguing but the last thing I want to do is tamper with the registry and hose up my wife’s PC!

If you have any luck, please post it!

Mark

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections