Scanning w/AB Dick, never clean,Should I scan from PS?

JB
Posted By
Jessica_B
Sep 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am scanning a page of text on AB Dick scanner then saving the file to server then opening in PS CS3. The page always; needs cleaning up. For example there are specks of black or smudges all over the page and the text looks broken…even if the original is great. We scan and send straight to DPM and it prints great! Can I select different settings while scanning? OR Should I be scanning directly from photoshop? OR How do I clean up the mess?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Sep 13, 2008
I have no clue about what controls the AB Dick scanning software offers the user, and how comprehensive they are.

You’d have to explore the options and adjustments and see if you can capture a better file right from the start.
B
Buko
Sep 13, 2008
Should I be scanning directly from photoshop?

Photoshop has no ability to scan in and of itself. It seems rather silly to tie up a $1000 piece of software as a scanning interface to run the application that came with the scanner. If you are getting crappy scans using Photoshop as an interface will not make them better.

you might try VuScan or you may need a new scanner.
JD
John_Danek
Sep 13, 2008
A 1-Bit scan ( B+W ) is always going to look like crap on-screen and it depends on what condition the original page is in. Some text may already be broken by wrinkles or blems in the original. The scanner will only give you what goes in, so if crap is scanned, then crap is what you’ll get. I was thinking that you may get better results scanning in grayscale ( 8_Bit B+W ). Either way, you’re definitely going to need to open the scan in Photoshop and retouch it there. Some scanner manufacturers include a Twain Acquire module as part of the install. Check PS’s File > Import menu to see if one is there for the AB Dick. The nice thing about Twain Acquire is you’ll be scanning directly into Photoshop where you can name it and save it. I realize other scanner manufacturers have their own scan application, but using Twain Acquire saves a step in the process. I used the procedure ( Twain Acquire ) with an Epson Expression, which had its own scanner software in addition to the twain module, so I could scan either way. I always prefered using Twain Acquire.
P
Phosphor
Sep 13, 2008
I’m with Buko. Hamrick’s VueScan scanning software offers more control than most mortals will ever need (me being one of those, I’ve barely scratched the surface of what VueScan can do). It’ll allow you to quickly see the results of adjustments made to the input/output controls before you commit to a full-resolution scan.

Plus, because it’s a standalone application, you’re not tying up Photoshop by using the TWAIN integration.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 13, 2008
The page always; needs cleaning up. For example there are specks of black or smudges all over the page and the text looks broken…even if the original is great

Didn’t even know that AB Dick (of small printing press and duplicator fame) had scanners!

Make sure the scanner glass is clean, both top and bottom surfaces and is otherwise in good order. Make sure that the light that illuminates the art during the scan is not old and dim. If so, replace it. As a test, if you have a clean master print that AB Dick uses for scanner testing, try scanning that and compare with the original.

Also, run your scanner in grayscale, rather than black-and-white — particularly if you are not scanning clean, crisp originals in dark or black ink on light or white paper — to keep any dirt less prominent. And if the type is not very black, it is likely to break up in black-and-white.

Black-and-white forces the scanner to choose whether to scan grays and color tones (including dirt) as either solid black or pure white, depending upon how dark or light it is.

The downside to scanning in grayscale is that the files will be larger. And for reasons given, you’ll be more productive if you run the scanner in standalone mode, rather than via a Photoshop plugin.

Neil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections