delete a shape out of a shape…basically an empty frame????

P
Posted By
PhotoshopNewbie
Dec 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to create a square border by creating a square and then trying to delete a smaller square out of the middle of it…..make sense? So it will basically look like a photo frame. I am trying to do this with a transparent background. I have been trying to create the square then use the marquee tool to draw the smaller square and then just delete. I keep getting an error message that says "Could noty complete your request because the content of the layer is not directly editable" What should i do? Thanks a million guys/girls!!!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
LenHewitt
Dec 20, 2006
You’re working on a shape layer – when you need to be using a normal layer.

You can create your original square by defining a square with the rectangular marquee and then filling with colour. Or you can use the Rectangle tool with ‘Fill Pixels’ selected on the Control Bar. Then remove the centre as you have been trying to do.
P
PhotoshopNewbie
Dec 20, 2006
THanks, that worked. Any tips on how to make sure the border is of uniform width throughout? Sorry to be so ignorant but am a frustrated amateur.
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 20, 2006
What should i do?

You need to consider adding to your toolbox. Photoshop is not a one size fits all tool.

You really need to consider throwing Illustrator into the mix.

BTW, did you get that logo last night?

Bob
P
PhotoshopNewbie
Dec 20, 2006
Robert, yes I got the file. THank you very much for your help. I am definitely considering purchasing Illustrator and InDesign. Any idea when CS3 may be due out for these? Thanks for all of the help.
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 20, 2006
CS3 is due out around the end of May.

Bob
P
PhotoshopNewbie
Dec 20, 2006
got another question for you guys…I have now recreated the logo as a psd file with a transparent background. I want to copy the entire image and put it on a flyer i am creating that has a black background. For some reason I can’t seem to get the entire image to copy and paste….it will just paste parts of it. I tried saving it as a tiff without the layers but then I lose the transparent background. THis seems so simple but I can’t get it? THanks again.
S
stevent
Dec 20, 2006
Select the layers you want to copy in the layers palette, then drag from there to the new document.
P
PhotoshopNewbie
Dec 20, 2006
Won’t this bring them in individual pieces? Any way to do it as a whole?
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 20, 2006
I hope this isn’t related to that spot color thing yesterday. Because if it is, you’re not going to be able to maintain that Pantone 877 doing this.

If you’re creating a flyer and you need to use spot colors you are really using the wrong tool. While Photoshop has a decent text engine, it’s not intended for that kind of work.

Download the demo of InDesign and give that a test drive.

Bob
P
PhotoshopNewbie
Dec 20, 2006
I am downloading InDesign. I understand that it wont maintain the PANTONE ….. I am still interested in how to copy and paste any image I might create and then placing it on another image I may create? I have previously saved it as a jpeg and tried to make the background the same as what I was putting it on but you always have that little block surrounding it…would be nice to be able to mainatain the transparent background. I was trying to put another little icon on a photo and same problem. Thanks for all of your help Bob.
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 20, 2006
You can link the layers you want to keep together and then just drag them from the layers palette on to the other graphic.

Bo
B
Bernie
Dec 21, 2006
I am definitely considering purchasing Illustrator and InDesign

Get the Suite, it works out cheaper that way.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections