DH
Posted By
Dave Hodgson
Aug 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How can I get alpha channels to save with PNG files?

I tried using SuperPNG, the free plug-in, but it won’t save alpha data either. Are there any other plug-ins that will save alpha channel data?

I don’t want to save a transparency mask or any other kind of PS specific transparency, I specifically need the 8-bit alpha channel to be stored in the file.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TM
Trevor Morris
Aug 18, 2003
As you’ve discovered, Photoshop is not capable of saving an 8-bit RGBA PNG – not even with SuperPNG. You will either have to use another application, or use PNGQuant (http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/apps/pngquant.html).
DH
Dave Hodgson
Aug 19, 2003
Actually, it is. I found out that in order to save alpha data in a PNG file from photoshop, you have to use layers not alpha channels. If you leave the bottom layer empty so that all the transparent areas show through as the checkerboard, then SuperPNG will save the empty areas as alpha value transparency,
TM
Trevor Morris
Aug 21, 2003
Chris,

Not in 8-bit (i.e. 256 colors): however, what you say is correct for 8-bpc.

Oh, and I just reread the original post and see that Dave did not ask about 8-bit files, but rather 8-bit alpha channel. So, while (I believe) everything I said is correct, it appears that it was out of context :-).
TM
Trevor Morris
Aug 22, 2003
Fair enough, understood Chris. In fact, the emails we’ve exchanged have really helped clarify this point. Thanks for the reminder ;-).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections