FL
Posted By
Fergus_Lester
Apr 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been scanning 35mm slides using Epson 1250 scanner with film adapter. Scanning at 1200 dpi to a final image size of 5×8 inches or so gives me a jpg of about 1500-2000 KB.

However it takes several minutes to save the file. If I scan to a smaller image size it saves fine but then resizing the image takes just as long. However if I use the scanner’s own software it doesn’t seem to take anything like as long. Using a format other than JPG causes Elements to hang altogether.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 8100, with 128MB RAM, 20GB hard drive.

Should it be taking this long?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PD
Pete_D
Apr 21, 2004
Lester,

I don’t think the amount of time to save is an indication of a problem. Your system "hanging" in other formats obviously is though.

At 128mb ram you are not going to get optimum performance and you might think about adding more. That should help the time problem.

System maintenance will help. Deleting temporary files, temporary internet files, defrag, and remove all unnecessary programs from start up list.
JR
John_R._Collins
Apr 21, 2004
Hi Fergus,

I concur with what Pete said about installing more RAM. This is the critical point. Your operating system (Windows or whathaveyou), as well any other programs running take a huge amount of RAM. This leaves little RAM available if any, for PE2 and for your open picture files. This means that data is continually being shunted to and from your hard drive as it is processed (and as it is saved to another area of the hard drive).
If you can up your ram to 512 MB, you’ll get a dramatic improvement in performance.

John
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 21, 2004
Here is a great place to start….I ordered from here and got it in 2 days ! It’s a very simple process.

<http://www.crucial.com/>
LK
Leen_Koper
Apr 21, 2004
On the other hand…
In these hectic times, it just might bring some patience into our lifes. 😉

Leen
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 21, 2004
Jodi,

We ordered an extra 512MB of Ram from crucial the other day … hopefully it will arrived tomorrow.

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 21, 2004
Wendy, you are a UK girl…must be patient I guess 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 22, 2004
Hi Jodi,

It arrived this morning and is now safely installed … certainly has speeded things up 🙂

Wendy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections