KP
Posted By
Keith Plechaty
Sep 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I set up lot’s of book covers in InDesign, and I’m wondering if it makes more sense to setup the hi res graphics in one photoshop document, sizing down graphics using smart objects, and then bringing that graphic into InDesign at 100%. Or is it just better to bring the graphic straight into InDesign and then resizing it in InDesign? Are there pros and cons to either?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 8, 2008
Always keep an eye on file sizes. The goal is to achieve optimized balance between smallest file size and maximum output sharpness and clarity. Achieve that balance first, outside of InDesign, so the issue is settled before you bring it into InDesign. Because you are dealing with printing, you will also need to target the final image ‘physical dimensions’ into the mix also (you wouldn’t need to do this for web work where dimensions are always pixels and not inches.)
B
Buko
Sep 8, 2008
The file you place in ID should 100%.

I always (95% or the time) place a same size image. That would include covers or interior page layouts.

When I place oversize images its usually for things like logos in ads or a single image in a story where I can’t be bothered to make it smaller.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 8, 2008
The main thing is to not make the pre-press department scream at you.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 8, 2008
You want to place the image at 100% at full resolution of your output device. If you enlarge the image in In Design, you run the risk of down sizing files upon the creation of a PDF to lower then what is acceptable resolution. So in essence if you are shipping these PDF’s off to publications and you place the image larger then 100% in the layout, you may get an e-mail or phone call with the file bouncing. In Design DOES NOT resample images.

Also – Clipping paths are resolution dependant which many do not know. If you place a high res image in In Design at lets say 14%, your path WILL explode once it hits the output RIP.

Other things like PDF check-up will fail as well as other automated checking systems if you monkey around with sloppy handy works.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 8, 2008
See what I mean.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections