DW
Posted By
Dave_Wittekind
Sep 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently added a second HD and addition memory (4 gb) to my Dual-core Intel Mac Pro.

Since then, I’ve experienced a lot of spinning ball time in Photoshop. It starts out OK but gradually gets slower and slower until it’s unusable, especially when performing transforms or refreshing brushstrokes. I tried removing the new hard drive and individual memory modules (even using the original modules that it shipped with) to no avail. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this and how to remedy it? Thanks very much.!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 8, 2008
Dave,

How is the new drive formatted? What are you using it for?

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Sep 8, 2008
How is PS scratch assigned (under PS Preferences) and how full are the hard drives? Are all drives internal?
CC
Craig Curtis
Oct 1, 2008
I have the same problem. works fine for a while, then progressively gets slower and slower. I’m working with 4.5 gigs ram at 70%. dedicated internal SATA scratch disk, and is marked as the first drive in preferences. G5 dual 2ghz. It even happens if I have only photoshop open after computer fresh restart. Images are being opened off of a 7200RPM firewire 800 drive. (we’re talking that it takes 30 seconds to OPEN a PSD file that is 36MB uncompressed, and saved at about 9 MB). Mac OS 10.5.5 (but its been happening since early 10.5.x, and somewhat since 10.4.x)

thx
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 1, 2008
How long is it since you last ran Disk Warrior?
CC
Craig Curtis
Oct 1, 2008
that would be probably never. at least not in the last few years… is it really going to help THAT much? the scratch drive isn’t fragmented (since its empty)… boot drive could probably use it though I guess.

something else I tried – I removed all of the external data drives except for the one that I am currently working off of, and it helped a little bit, but I wouldn’t say its "speedy" especially considering the files are so small
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 1, 2008
I suspect that running DiskWarrior on both your Boot and your Image-storing drives could make a lot of difference.

Also, how full are those Drives?

It’s corrupted Directories, rather than fragmentation, that you will be fixing..
CC
Craig Curtis
Oct 1, 2008
thanks I just now bought it, but can’t run it ’til alsoft sends me the serial #. argh…
R
Ram
Oct 1, 2008
Wait for the DiskWarrior CD. Running it from a hard drive leaves a few directory items out of place.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 1, 2008
Craig,

I just now bought it, but can’t run it ’til alsoft sends me the serial #. argh…

Did you format the drive before you started using it? If a new drive that you’ve installed, it could very well be preformatted for Windows machines, and it will be slower on a Mac. Use Disk Utility and select: Erase –> Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Just make sure that you back up your files first.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 1, 2008
Unless Alsoft have changed the way that they do things, you will need to wait for the CD to arrive in the mail because you need to have DiskWarrior on a CD so that you can use it to boot your Mac Β— otherwise you will not be able to repair your System HD.

However, you should be able to install the downloaded version on your System HD and can then use that to repair non-boot drives.

If the CD contains DW 4.0, and doesn’t contain DW 4.1, you will also need to download the free Upgrade and create a new CD for yourself by following Alsoft’s instructions.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 1, 2008
Get iFreeMem and see what your RAM is doing.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 1, 2008
Ann,

Alsoft allows you to update a DiskWarrior CD you already have by burning a new disc with a downloaded update.

Neil
CC
Craig Curtis
Oct 1, 2008
I do have a separate boot drive, so I don’t think that is an issue. I also can’t wait 2-3 WEEKS for the disk to show up (apparently they were affected by hurricane Ike?) so I’ll just have to kludge it together to get it to work.

And yes, it is a Mac formatted hard drive
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 1, 2008
The Alsoft CD may show-up in a few days .

Alsoft have this extraordinary habit of always having some excuse as to why they can’t ship immediately but then they miraculously find a copy and ship it!

Actually, you should find DW in stock at your local Apple Store.
R
Ram
Oct 1, 2008
I do have a separate boot drive, so I don’t think that is an issue.

See post #8. It is an issue.

Wait for the DiskWarrior CD. Running it from a hard drive leaves a few directory items out of place.

However, it’s still much better than nothing.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 1, 2008
One way to use DW on your Boot Drive while waiting for the CD to arrive, might be to install DW on both drives; and to also install a System on your FWD.

Then boot from the FWD; and use DW from the FWD to repair your HD.

You probably won’t reach "0% files out of order" that way, but you can do a fairly major clean-up and Create a New Directory.
CC
Craig Curtis
Oct 2, 2008
DW worked great. PSD is behaving like it should now.

I installed the DW, then ran Carbon Copy Cloner to a FW800 drive and then booted off that, then ran DW. No problems or missed files. Ramon if you are having problems maybe try using CCC.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 2, 2008
I am so glad that it worked for you, Craig.

Having DW in my tool-bag is an essential as far as I am concerned.

πŸ™‚
B
Buko
Oct 2, 2008
SuperDuper! is much better than CCC
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 3, 2008
SuperDuper! just…works! It’s easy to set up, and it runs without any issues.

Neil
R
Ram
Oct 3, 2008
Craig,

I’m not having problems of any kind, computer and software wise. What om Earth are you talking about?

Yes, I’ve used SuperDuper for years. Much better than CCC indeed.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 3, 2008
SuperDuper seems to do everything, and the Smart copy is nice. I have CCC but have never tried it even to look at the features.
B
Buko
Oct 3, 2008
I’ve tried CCC that’s why I use superduper!
CC
Craig Curtis
Oct 3, 2008
I don’t really care about the differences between SuperDuper! and CCC, I used CCC because its the one I had, and it works fine to clone one drive to another and make it bootable. Use whatever works for you, it was just a means to an end.

Ramon- I was just commenting on where you mentioned that DW wouldn’t fix the drive properly from a boot volume that wasn’t the CD from Alsoft. Unless I am missing something, the software seemed to work fine and I didn’t get any errors.

I’ve worked on a few hundred files since doing the DW thing (regardless if I used superduper or CCC) and haven’t had the problems, so at the root of it, thanks Ann for the original suggestion of DW. I’ve been a mac pro since OS 7.5 and sometimes the obvious course is the one that escapes me!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 3, 2008
Craig:

The problem that can arise when running DW from another HD (as opposed to booting from the DW CD) is that when you check the repaired Disk, you may find that it still has a few (probably less than 1%) files "out of order". However, you should still find that performance has improved enormously regardless of the ">1%".

That was what RamΓ³n was referring to.
CC
Craig Curtis
Oct 3, 2008
oh i see. I didn’t notice that, or at least it didn’t give me any notices that it didn’t fix them 100%. I’ll have to go back and look. But you are right, the performance is waaaaaay better now.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 3, 2008
If you run DW’s Graph (which you can run on any drive including the Boot Drive at any time) you can see how many files are "out of order".

I suggest that you don’t let that number get above 3%.
NT
Nini Tj
Oct 3, 2008
And DW is still, for most people, DreamWeaver…. πŸ˜‰ (I know you mean Diskwarrior but many would not know that).
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 3, 2008
Except Β… that in this thread the entire discussion has been about DiskWarrior!

8|
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2008
Craig,

Ann has clarified that for you (thanks, Ann), but you are misquoting me:

you mentioned that DW wouldn’t fix the drive properly from a boot volume that wasn’t the CD from Alsoft.

I said no such thing.

It doesn’t have to be THE CD from Alsoft, you can make your own boot DiskWarrior CD as per Alsoft’s instructions, or clone it.

But what I wrote was:

Ann has sufficiently explained what that means and how to verify it.

(Not too happy about having to write this long post. I don’t take kindly to misquotings and mischaracterizations.)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections