PF
Posted By
Philip_Fass
Aug 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sometimes in documentaries they’ll make the people in an old photo look like they’re standing in front of the background. It even looks like the camera is dollying from one side to another, with the perspective changing accordingly.

How is this done? And how do they prevent empty space from appearing in the areas behind the people?

Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DR
Donald_Reese
Aug 24, 2008
I always thought it was done by selecting the main area of interest and then gaussian blurring the background to give separation,but i think its more complicated than that, because of the way you can get a feeling of movement sometimes. i am eager to see if anyone knows for sure.
CC
Conrad_Chavez
Aug 24, 2008
Often they make a couple of copies of the photo, mask out the subjects, position them in front of the background in 3D space, and start panning the camera point of view.

Here’s an example done in Adobe After Effects < http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/aftereffects/articles/aft6 5sd3dtrick.html>.
PF
Philip_Fass
Aug 24, 2008
That looks like it. I wonder if it can be done in Apple Motion, which is a program I own.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections