M
Posted By
Mr._Tangent
Aug 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello. I am going to buy Adobe Web Premium OR Master Collection (not sure which one yet) very soon. Either version I buy will be the Educational versions.

I have a 1.67 ghz G4 Powerbook (with 2 GB system RAM, 128 MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics card).

My question is three-fold:

1. If I install CS3 on this Mac and later buy an Intel Mac will there be any problems installing it on another Mac? Can I have multiple installs on my own Macs?

2. Will CS3 (specifically Flash CS3, Photoshop CS3) run well on my current Mac?

3. Is there any difference in the Educational versions of CS3 over retail versions and do they expire or cause issues when upgrading? For instance, if I’m no longer in school two years from now do I have to re-register or anything?

Thank you in advance!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 21, 2008
You can install on up to two of your computers.

It will run on your G4. It may not be speedy. This depends on the type of work you intend to do.

There is no difference in the function of the educational version vs. the retail version. There is a new wrinkle with the educational license though. If you purchase the cheaper ‘Student’ edition through your school, you cannot use it for commercial work. If you buy the slightly more expensive (but still much cheaper than retail) ‘Academic/Educational’ version from an educational reseller like JourneyEd.com or CreationEngine.com, you can use it for commercial work as well.

Regardless of the educational version you buy, you can upgrade either license later with a regular retail upgrade and use it commercially.
R
Ram
Aug 22, 2008
You can install on up to two of your computers…

…that will NOT be used simultaneously, e.g. your desktop computer and a laptop for use on the road.

The license is for one user, two computers as described above.
M
Mr._Tangent
Aug 22, 2008
Thank you Jim and Ramón for the concise answers!
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 22, 2008
I ran the PSCS3 Premium Design Creative Suite on that box, which was the first Mac laptop that reasonably would run Photoshop. Jim’s comments "It will run on your G4. It may not be speedy. This depends on the type of work you intend to do." are totally accurate. I recommend that you get a fast FW800 external drive and use it for primary PS scratch. One good source is OWC http://otherworldcomputing.com/.

Drives slow above 40% full or so. Keep all drives no more than about half full.

When you ultimately do upgrade to a pro level MacIntel box you will see a huge performance increase. Do not succumb to the temptation to move to a cheaper non-pro MacIntel from your pro G4 PB.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections