Posted By
Sean_Baylis
Aug 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I shoot 50+ paintings using a Kodak color bar at the bottom of each image, thing is during the shoot the light change from start to finish as the sun moved around, (dumb I know), so is there anyway to get the images to be uniform color across the whole collection. I want to acheive where the color bar is exactly the same in each image?
I shot everything in RAW…
Thanks
SEan

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DR
Donald_Reese
Aug 20, 2008
If you open the images in raw and use one image as a basis for your final color,you can hit the synchronize button,and possibly they will match.i never tried what you are referring too,and i dont know how much your light changed. is it the angle that changed or the intensity? maybe try it with just 2 images that are very different and see if the colors match.
PF
Peter_Figen
Aug 20, 2008
You’re going to have to do an individual gray balance on a white or gray patch on every image, as it will not be the same correction for each image. As the light changes it changes color, which is going to be the biggest factor. The changing angles of light reflecting off the paintings can also affect the color rendition. In the end, it really depends on how accurately you need to reproduce the color in the paintings. The more accurate you need to be, the more you will need to make individual corrections in Ps for each image.

When I do this, I correct to the actual painting viewed under a Solux lamp 90 degrees away from my monitor. The best and most accurate color I’ve seen to date is processing the raw files in CaptureOne and gray balancing to a portion of the white seamless paper in the background. Even complicated paint pigments came right into line with a single click. The input profiles in C1 are truly amazing now.

You may run into problems also with the Kodak color bars themselves. Far too often when you get them looking right, your painting is way off. The pigments used in the color bars react differently to light than the pigments in the painting, and the grayscale steps are never right. They always seem to clip both ends long before you start clipping any detail in your painting.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 20, 2008
The pigments used in the color bars react differently to light than the pigments in the painting

This is not just true for paintings. Ultraviolet will also affect images, making, say some blue flowers register as a purple tone.

Neil
SB
Sean_Baylis
Aug 21, 2008
Thanks for the replies…

Just to add a bit of info I was shooting the art using two banks of daylight balanced flourecent lights. Unfortunately the sun was coming in one window on the side and adding a bit of light to that side making just the slightest change in exposure.

I have done white balance in Lightroom and the exposures are very close, but I was hoping there was a way to have it all done automatically from the color strips, but I guess this would be asking too much.

Oh well live and learn, next time i shoot this type of thing it will be in studio with complete control of the light.

Thank for the info, much appreciated, so here I go balancing 59 images… oh joy…
PF
Peter_Figen
Aug 21, 2008
Seriously, 59 images should take you less than ten minutes to go through. I’m not sure what the big deal is about. I routinely shoot 20-30 gigs of raw files on shoots and have to go through many hundreds of images. While controlling the light is great, and will help you in the future, you’ll be through with this in less time than it took to post. Never used LR, but in C1 59 images gray balanced separately and processed to 16 bit 120 mb tiffs would take me about five minutes.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections