SD
Posted By
Sheila_Dixon
Apr 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have encountered a problem and am hoping someone here can help. I am making page sets in DIP 9 but make a lot of the elements in PSP 8. I save them all as .png files at 300 dpi. After I have the set made I test all the elements and papers in PSP8 and PSE to make sure they work everywhere. The problem is this, I have discovered that after opening them in PSE and then closing them that PSE is changing the dpi to 96. It has just really thrown me for a loop to do all that work and then to find out the PSE is wrecking the files! Can anyone help me with this? I only want 300 dpi .png files and I just don’t know what is causing this!
Thanks for your assistance in this matter.
cyberblonde

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
jhjl1
Apr 19, 2004
I just saved a file in PSP 8.1 as a PNG at 300 PPI, open in Elements, resaved and had no change in PPI. If you are using save for web you may need to go to Elements preferences and change your screen resolution settings from 96 to 300PPI. Edit>preferences>units and rulers>screen resolution.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
I have encountered a problem and am hoping someone here can help. I am
making page sets in DIP 9 but make a lot of the elements in PSP 8. I save them all as .png files at 300 dpi. After I have the set made I test all the elements and papers in PSP8 and PSE to make sure they work everywhere. The problem is this, I have discovered that after opening them in PSE and then closing them that PSE is changing the dpi to 96. It has just really thrown me for a loop to do all that work and then to find out the PSE is wrecking the files! Can anyone help me with this? I only want 300 dpi .png files and I just don’t know what is causing this!
Thanks for your assistance in this matter.
cyberblonde
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 20, 2004
Edit>preferences>units and rulers>screen
resolution.

That only determines ppi for NEW documents you create, anything not specified in inches from the preset sizes.
And since onscreen images don’t care about ppi anyway, I’ve never even understood why it’s there.

Mac
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 20, 2004
Are pixel dimensions the same and are you using them only on the web?

If so, then ppi doesn’t matter anyway.

Although I can’t duplicate what you are claiming.

Mac
SD
Sheila_Dixon
Apr 20, 2004
Hi
I am not using them or saving them on the web. They are simple png files. Make a 300 dpi.png file in DIP and open it in PSE. Make a minor change and save it when you close the file in PSE. Then open the file in MS Paint and check the res. After a lot of experimentation I found if you didn’t save in PSE then that doesn’t happen to me but if save it does. I always just click save not save for the web. My concern is that when someone else uses my file they will end up getting a crummy version of it if they change anything while using PSE.
Thanks so much!
Sheila
J
jhjl1
Apr 20, 2004
Thanks Mac, I just took a quick look at my preferences yesterday and save for web was saving at the same resolution. I should have checked another size as you are correct and it was just by coincidence that it matched. I had failed to reproduce the problem as well.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Edit>preferences>units and rulers>screen
resolution.

That only determines ppi for NEW documents you create, anything not specified in inches from the preset sizes.
And since onscreen images don’t care about ppi anyway, I’ve never even understood why it’s there.

Mac
J
jhjl1
Apr 20, 2004
If you are the same Cyberblonde that was at the Jasc Forum with a problem with PNG the other day why don’t you try opening the file in PSP after saving in Elements. See if it shows the correct resolution there, it could be that the problem lies with the way MS paint is reading files saved in Elements. That will at least narrow the problem down to the one piece of software.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Hi
I am not using them or saving them on the web. They are simple png
files.
Make a 300 dpi.png file in DIP and open it in PSE. Make a minor change
and save it when you close the file in PSE. Then open the file in MS Paint and check the res. After a lot of experimentation I found if you didn’t save in PSE then that doesn’t happen to me but if save it does. I always just click save not save for the web. My concern is that when someone else uses my file they will end up getting a crummy version of it if they change anything while using PSE.
Thanks so much!
Sheila
SD
Sheila_Dixon
Apr 20, 2004
These are just plain old .png files saved at 300 ppi res. They stay that way unless I open them in PSE then when they are saved from there they always end up at 96 ppi. I have never clicked the save to the web button because I knew what that would do. These aren’t files that are saved to the web, they are full sized files that are zipped and uploaded to an ftp so others can download them.
Thanks for your help!!
Sheila
GD
Grant_Dixon
Apr 20, 2004
Sheila

I am not sure what you are doing in PSE to these file but a number of things can change the ppi like cropping or resizing, but just resaving it will not. Can you tell us what you typically do in Elements as I suspect you are doing something that is resample on your file. Changing a file from 300 to 96 ppi if all else is equal will only change how the printer sees the file and not the quality of the file. This of course can be over written when you go to print.

If you do something in elements and you suspect you have altered your resolution you can easily bring it back by going to the main menu >Image > Resize > Image Size > then unclick Resample Image and then enter the value you want in the resolution box.

Grant

P.S. Nice last name ….
SD
Sheila_Dixon
Apr 20, 2004
Hi Grant!
Dixon is a great name isn’t it! Thanks for taking the time to offer me this assistance. Sorry to say that PSE is not my favorite program but that is only because I haven’t really had the time to learn it. I am trying though. I will follow the directions you have given and I bet that is the problem. All I know is that I want all my files in 300 ppi. I have several huge hard drives so the size isn’t important to me but the quality sure is! I have never saved a file at less than 300 ( except when saving a copy as a jpeg so that I can send it to someone to see).
I wish I had the time to learn every little thing there is about these softwares but I would rather design than learn all the techy stuff, guess it is that female thinking thing!! LOL.
Again thanks and I will give it a try.
Sheila
GD
Grant_Dixon
Apr 20, 2004
Sheila

As far as learning designing over techie stuff it may be a Dixon thing but it is certainly not a female only thing. Elements and Photoshop was not my first graphic loves, I had once a passion for Corel PhotoPaint. Everyone kept said such great things about Adobe product I just kept coming back and giving then a try. For me the learning curve was very steep and I kept beating my head against a graphic wall until one day I had cleared the crest and though "This is one cool program!" Now I find this program extremely productive. At present the lady loves of my life are Elements, Photoshop, PaintShopPro and Photopaint and in that order (graphically speaking that is). Of course I am fickle so at times the order does shift.

Feel free to use this forum for information. The group is very knowledgeable and extremely friendly and I am not sure in what order as both conditions are extremely high. If you have spare time and want to let the creative juices flow feel free to jump onto the challenge bandwagon. You can uses any graphic program you want so it is not Elements only.

Grant

Home Pages http://home.cogeco.ca/~grant.dixon/index.htm

Challenge Pages: http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/

Creativity is so delicate a flower that praise tends to make it bloom, while discouragement often nips it in the bud. Any of us will put out more and better ideas if our efforts are appreciated.

Alexander Osborn (1888 – 1966)

W
wfulton
Apr 21, 2004
I have discovered that after opening them in PSE and then closing them
that PSE is changing the dpi to 96.

I assume it was Elements version 1.0? Version 1.0 doesnt save any value for resolution in a PNG file. Neither does Photoshop version 6 or earlier. Elements 1.0 will then open and show a PNG file it saved at an assumed 72 dpi, but I can imagine if you are looking in MS Paint, it assumes 96 dpi. This assumption is because no value was saved, and it has to say something because you asked to see it.

It simply wont ever matter what the dpi says on the video screen or the web. However you’re probably not showing a 300 dpi size image on the screen, and dpi will matter of course if you print it on paper. You can simply rescale it to 300 dpi when you print it, but best not to send it to someone else who may not know this.

Elements 2.0 corrects this, as does Photoshop 7. This would explain why no one is able to duplicate it in 2.0.
J
jhjl1
Apr 21, 2004
Thanks for the info. It has been filed.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
news:
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 21, 2004
save for web was saving at the same resolution.

SFW does not save at ANY "resolution".

There is no ppi in the settings, not is the image tagged with any ppi setting in the header. That’s one of the characteristics of web images, that ppi has no meaning.

Mac
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 21, 2004
Elements 2.0 corrects this, as does Photoshop 7.
is would explain why no one is able to duplicate it in 2.0.

Outstanding sleuthing.
I have Elements2 and PS7, so was seeing ppi retained in PNGs. I never really messed with them much previously.

Mac

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections