G
Posted By
gholmes
Aug 17, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been having the exact same problem with my system and Photoshop-CS2. Have had it for about 6 months or so. Am using OS 10.4.11. I looked into my Plug-ins for a Twain and there wasn’t any, so that lets that out. I had also trtied deleting my preference file for Photoshop and that did no good either.

I have 1.5 Gigs of RAM, Max for my old G4 Unti at 1.8 ghz.

What’s next. Never seemed to have these probelmds back on 10.4.9

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JK
James_King-Holmes
Aug 19, 2008
My PS CS2 has decided not to launch, even though it has been running fine for months on the new MacBook Pro/Leopard 10.5.4. Tried the tilde trick – no joy. Anyone have any other suggestions – not least why it should suddenly not launch.
B
Buko
Aug 19, 2008
CS2 was not designed to run on a Mactel and is not supported under Leopard. This is something you must troubleshoot or live with. Probably best to get CS3 which at least runs native.
JF
janet_fouts
Aug 20, 2008
After a lot of frustration on my own, and a couple calls to both Mac and Adobe tech support, I finally connected with the right person in Adobe Tech support who had me uninstall the CS3 suite and then "clean the drive" with a file called "maccs3clean" which is available for download on the Adobe site. He had me run it three times and then re-install and AT LAST I have photoshop and illustrator back!
Here’s a link to the script with info. < http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 402767>
JK
James_King-Holmes
Aug 20, 2008
Yes, this works for CS3, but the link I got was
<http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html> then downloaded the .dmg, ran the dialog script which appears in Terminal. I was advised to enter Level 1 when prompted for a cleaning level, and then to restart & run the script again, using the previous download.

In the script Terminal gives details of the ‘spare’ CS3 files removed which had been there after the tryout CS3 beta download & I was surprised at how many there were, even on the second run.

My original problem with CS2 remained unresolved except that I took notice of Buko’s comments, raided the bank & installed CS3 – hence the need to run the MacClean script.

Thanks, guys.
B
Buko
Aug 20, 2008
Damn! wish I got a commission. B)
G
gholmes
Aug 20, 2008
I got my CS2 working by following someones advice about trashing the prefs. However I obviously didn’t know where the prefs were. What worked when I pulled them out were named Adobe PhotoShop CS2 Settings.

They are located where I would have expected them to be, but was single mindedly looking for something that had the word preference in it not settings. User>Library>Preferences>Adobe PhotoShop CS2 Settings.

I put that folder out on my desktop and rebooted. After which I restarted Photoshop and it didn’t crash even when I had a browser and Thunderbird open.

I do have an old machine, a G4 Digital Audio, but have upgraded it to 1.8ghz and 1.5 gb of RAM.
R
Ram
Aug 20, 2008
To trash and rebuild preferences, simply hold down Command+Option+Shift as you launch Photoshop. Check the boxes in the dialog box that shows up then.

This is in the FAQs of this forum. Please read them.
G
gholmes
Aug 20, 2008
I had tried that the day before I did what I wrote above and it didn’t do the job. I also do an Applejack almost every day on boot-up.

But who knows what evil lurks inside an electrons mind!
The shadow knows……..
R
Ram
Aug 20, 2008
The point is that you may have missed some files.

For CS2:

< http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=3129 17>

For CS3:

<http://www.adobe.com/go/kb401600>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections