ND
Posted By
Nick_Decker
Dec 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whoever is responsible for the increase in speed of the Smart Sharpen filter, have a drink on me! Wow!

What used to take 8-10 seconds now takes about a second.

Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Dec 15, 2006
You mean in the CS3 beta, I’m sure…

This should really go to the CS3 beta forum (still not in operation), but I think you’ll find that the team managed to make several speed increases across the application.
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 15, 2006
Yup, I meant CS3 Beta. I would have posted in that forum, but it wasn’t operational. It is now (and filling up fast <g>).

<http://tinyurl.com/sgklf>
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 15, 2006
Great news Nick. Thanks. I only hope that they’ve cleared up the bug in the order of file processing on open images with batch operations. In CS versions it processes the last open image first, instead of the first image opened. IOW, it’s reverse order now.

Can someone open like five images and run a simple batch that tests to see if it starts at the first one or the last one?

I’m not an early adopter, so I’m reticent to download it just yet. But if someone can let me know, I sure would be grateful.

edit: I can’t sign into the CS3 forum to ask, because my user information is different than I used for this forum, and it won’t let me use my current nickname. Sigh.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Dec 15, 2006
Tony,

The ‘bug’ you mention sounds suspiciously like a Windows design that assumes that the last selected file is the one you want to operate on first. Try selecting your files to be processed in reverse order (that is, backwards) before bringing them into Photoshop.

Mathias
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 15, 2006
Mathias,

Sigh. This is my pet bug. I have had it confirmed with the Photoshop Architect, Russell Williams, and two other Adobe folk. It is not a Windows issue, it is a photoshop BUG. Versions prior to CS do not behave this way, on any version of Windows.

Just open a bunch, and see what order they are processed in.

And for what it’s worth, when you scan 10 images into photoshop, you cannot select them in windows, until they are saved – and if you save them in a batch, they are saved in reverse numeric order.
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 16, 2006
No one going to try it? wow.
QP
Q_Photo
Dec 16, 2006
I don’t have to try it Tony. I already know that you are correct sir. Q
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 16, 2006
I think Tony means try it in CS3.

I’ll have a go when I get a moment.

Can you not log in to the CS3 forum using your Adobe ID and PW as opposed to the forum one?
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 16, 2006
I think Tony means try it in CS3.

I do.

Can you not log in to the CS3 forum using your Adobe ID and PW as opposed to the forum one?

It asks me for a nickname. When I put in YrbkMgr, it tells me that that name is already in use. I could make up another one (that I have to remember), but from what I read there, I’m not sure it’s worthwhile.

I just wanted to see if someone who has already downloaded it, could confirm whether or not they have fixed that bug. If they haven’t, I won’t bother with the upgrade. If it becomes a real pita to just test this, I’ll go ahead and d/l the beta version and see. I just thought it would be easy for someone who already has it to do, that’s all.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 16, 2006
As I said, I’ll have a go Tony.

Regarding the logging in, I got an Adobe ID when I bought stuff from them. It is totally different from the User to User forum name and password.
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 17, 2006
Thanks for giving it a go John. Yeah, I know, I have a UN/Password and I can log in to the point of "Nickname". When I use my exisiting name YrbkMgr, it tells me that it’s in use. So, as I said, I’d have to create a new nickname, since my info for logging into the forums is different than my actual customer information.

I’m a paranoid person. I don’t like the idea that who I am, what my address is, and all that, can be tied (by Adobe) to what I may or may not say in this forum. So my log in for this forum is vague enough to let me participate, without tying who I am and where I live to my commentary. The Adobe ID thing, by necessity, is different.
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 17, 2006
I haven’t seen this "nickname" thing over there. I’ve been posting, just using my Adobe login (my email address and password). But, I agree that those forums suck, compared to these. Hard to navigate, hard to keep track of what’s been said.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 17, 2006
We know the forums aren’t the best, and we’re working on it — but it’s a long, painful task.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 17, 2006
The forum software in Labs is abysmal. There is no ability to just "see new" or to subscribe to the forum so you just see new posts. God is it awful. Did I already say that?
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 17, 2006
Did I already say that?

You and a whole lot more of us Michael!
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 17, 2006
I just checked. Ran a batch on six open files.

The number order bug is still there in CS3 Tony.

The processed files are numbered in the order "last opened" to "first opened".
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 17, 2006
Crap. Thanks John. I’m grateful for that confirmation.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 17, 2006
Cheers. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 🙁
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 17, 2006
S’okay. I’ll have to think long and hard about an upgrade – Acrobat did the same thing. Version 6 had a file order issue when multiple PDFs were assembled. Adobe’s answer was to upgrade, but there was no confirmation that it would be fixed in version 7, or now version 8. So, I didn’t. Same with PS. If they’re not going to fix this, I see it as a major issue.

Thanks though.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 18, 2006
:I’ll have to think long and hard about an upgrade

i’d start talking about it now in the cs3 beta forum and in feature request. still time for it to get fixed tony.
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 18, 2006
Really? I mean, the Photoshop Architect, Chris Cox, and others know about it – I’m not sure how posting it yet again will help.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 18, 2006
reminders couldn’t hurt! squeaky wheel, etc etc. i’d post until someone told me either ok, or it ain’t gonna happen. couldn’t hurt, and you deserve an answer, ya know?
T
Talker
Dec 18, 2006
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:04:14 -0800, wrote:

reminders couldn’t hurt! squeaky wheel, etc etc. i’d post until someone told me either ok, or it ain’t gonna happen. couldn’t hurt, and you deserve an answer, ya know?

That reminds me, did Adobe ever fix that bug in CS2 that occured when you were using a Xeon processor and tried to use the Magic Lasso tool? The computer would either lock up, or act weird. Adobe suggested that to remedy the problem, turn off the hyperthreading aspect of the processor, so that you were in effect, using only half of the processor.
I never did hear if they fixed that….

Talker

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections