Posted By
Daniel_Ulysses
Dec 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hola
I had "see" this topic before but cannot find it.

If I have a CS1 (I got the "full" series, PS, AI, ID, GL, Acrobat) it will be possible to upgrade to CS3 the full "series"?

Or, should I upgrade to CS2 first, then to CS3? –ouch–

Thanks

Daniel Ulysses

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BL
Bob Levine
Dec 15, 2006
You can skip CS2 and wait for CS3 if you so choose.

Bob
J
johnesparolini
Dec 15, 2006
Robert Levine says, "You can skip CS2 and wait for CS3 if you so choose."

I doubt it: Adobe won’t even allow CS1 owners to use the CS3 Beta! 🙁
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 15, 2006
I doubt it:

go ahead and doubt it, but adobe has allowed upgrades from all it’s old versions to the latest version for the same price for… um, ever. so i don’t think this will change (no i don’t work for adobe so i can’t say for sure but <tony-shrug>).

and CS3 has NOT been released. it’s a beta. obviously they wanted to limit it in some way or make sure that users had adequate hardware to run it, assuming that cs2 requires some pretty beefy specs to run so the same systems will run cs3 ok is not a stretch.
R
RobertHJones
Dec 15, 2006
go ahead and doubt it, but adobe has allowed upgrades from all it’s old versions to the latest version for the same price for… um, ever. so i don’t think this will change (no i don’t work for adobe so i can’t say for sure but <tony-shrug>).

Apparently, that will change with CS3. The official CS3 FAQ says "Adobe will not offer upgrade pricing more than three versions back on Photoshop CS3." See http://photoshopnews.com/2006/12/14/photoshop-cs3-beta-qa/ or http://www.jnack.com/PSCS3_FAQ.pdf
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 15, 2006
(from photoshop news link above)

In addition, customers who are still using Photoshop version 6.0 or earlier will benefit from taking advantage of a more liberal upgrade policy for Photoshop CS2. Adobe will not offer upgrade pricing more than three versions back on Photoshop CS3. Go to www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/index. html for more information on Adobe Photoshop CS2.

ooo! thanks robert. those with older versions (pre 7) might want to upgrade to cs2 now to be able to get the upgrade pricing for cs3.

170+170 is cheaper than 649 if you’re forced to buy a new full version!

wow. that’s a BIG change. kinda ‘evil empire-ish’… 🙁
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 15, 2006
Are you listening Phos? 😉
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 15, 2006
I wonder if the proliferation of older versions on eBay is the reasoning behind this.

Bob
DM
Don_McCahill
Dec 15, 2006
three upgrades back

I can live with that. I tend to upgrade alternate versions and am on CS right now. I plan to go to CS3 if the pricing is right.

I see this as a possibility that Adobe is trying to tighten up the upgrade policies for future revenue potentials. They might make the rule two upgrades back when CS4 comes out. I just hope they don’t eliminate old versions entirely, as alternate upgrading just makes sense to a lot of people.

I wonder if the proliferation of older versions on eBay is the reasoning behind this

I suspect very few of those copies are upgradable (i.e, with legit serial numbers). I suspect this is just a way of improving the revenue stream. I am just glad they are doing it in a phase-in method rather than all at once.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 15, 2006
any word on the different versions and their pricing of cs3 that were supposed to come about? (standard home, pro home, pro pro, whatever, etc.)
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Dec 15, 2006
Nope.
DU
Daniel_Ulysses
Dec 15, 2006
"three upgrades back"

So, I’m Ok…so far.

Thanks…I’ll do

Daniel Ulysses
B
Bernie
Dec 16, 2006
This is typical of the way Macromedia upgrades worked. (Or not.)

Once again, it looks like Macromedia bought Adobe rather than the other way ’round.
DC
Doug Cloud
Dec 16, 2006
So if I have CS (which would be the first one) would I be eligible for the upgrade to CS3?
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 16, 2006
Yes.

Bob
C
chrisjbirchall
Dec 16, 2006
I suspect very few of those copies are upgradable (i.e, with legit serial numbers).

I know of several people who have climbed onto the upgrade ladder via eBay purchases of OEM copies of PS6.

I’ve always thought that Adobe took the view they’d prefer to have those folk on board rather than they go the pirate route.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections