JH
Posted By
Jim_Hess
Dec 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I must be dumber then I realize. I cannot find the download page for the Photoshop CS3 beta. Can someone help?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JJ
John Joslin
Dec 15, 2006
It seems to have been withdrawn from the Adobe Labs page.
J
johnesparolini
Dec 15, 2006
Why in the world would Adobe remove it on the same day they’re releasing it??? Sheesh!

Does anyone know where they moved it to?
P
Phosphor
Dec 15, 2006
<http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2006/12/is_the_cs3b_dow.html>

Bookmark John Nack’s Blog. He’s the Senior Project Manager for Photoshop (and a heck of a nice guy, from what I can tell). My guess is that when there are announcements, his blog will be among the very first places that will post them.
RB
Robert_Barnett
Dec 15, 2006
That is because Adobe didn’t do what they said they were going to do and that is put the information on the labs web site. There is no link to it from the lab site or from adobe.com that I can find. Another smooth and wonderful job.

Not even the links from NAPP or Russell Brown who works for Adobe works.

Robert
RB
Robert_Barnett
Dec 15, 2006
John it was never there. I have been up since 11:00pm on the 14th and it never was up there.

Robert
GD
george_dingwall
Dec 15, 2006
Hi all, I’ve already downladed it, but my computer crashed when I ran it and my history file was trashed, and I don’t remember what the link was.

It has crashed my PC twice today, but I suppose that’s to be expected with a beta.

From first impressions, there are mostly cosmetic upgrades. There’s a new Smart Selection tool, A Smart Filter, which allows you to edit or remove filters applied to an image. Adobe Camera Raw has a lot more options, and you can open Tiffs and Jpegs in it.

Bridge looks a bit like a little brother to Lightroom.

If I find the link to where I downloaded from I’ll post it.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 15, 2006
No application can crash your machine – only the OS, hardware or some drivers can do that. Photoshop itself may crash (and you should report that in the beta forums), but it cannot crash the whole machine.

"mostly cosmetic"?
Dude, keep looking.
The visual changes may be the ones that jump out at you, but there are a heck of a lot of significant changes and additions in CS3 (and we still have a few more rabbits in the hat).
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 16, 2006
I found it useful to find and turn on the "What’s new in CS3" menu setting. just like cs2 it hilights the new features in the menus in blue.
GD
george_dingwall
Dec 16, 2006
Hi Chris,

When I first installed the Beta and booted it up it Crashed my machine twice. Onece when I tried to switch to Bridge and the second time when I tried to copy some text in from the clipboard.

On both occassions, I was forced to do a hard reboot to get my computer back.

Before you say it. I have a brand new video card with the latest driver and my OS has all of the latest updates.

So if photoshop crashes and stops me using my computer I consider that Photoshop crashed my machine.

For the record, I did say "First Impressions" in my earlier post. I’m gradually working through the things that are new or have changed. Some I like, some I don’t. I like the smart filter option, but I would prefer if it applied to third party filters rather than just Photoshop native filters.

As of this moment, I have not seen enough to make me want to run out and buy the new version, but if you have a few more things under your hat, maybe that will change. Just in case you think I’m not a regular upgrader, The only version I’ve missed since Version 3 was version 4, so If it is good enough by release time, I’ll get it. So get on and make it good enough.

Bye for now.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 16, 2006
Hmmmm!
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 16, 2006
So if photoshop crashes and stops me using my computer I consider that Photoshop crashed my machine.

the thing is goerge, xp, 2000 and vista are process isolated operating systems. that means that a failing app can not bring down the machine. what it CAN do it trigger a hardware problem that may have been previously undiagnosed.

I assume you have "autorestart on system failure" turned off in my computer> properties> advanced> startup and recovery settings…? that would cause a reboot where you’d normally get a blue screen that MIGht indicate a driver error. if that’s off and your system is still restarting, its time to 1st check/update the bios on the motherboard, and if it STILL reboots, time to start hunting for the hardware failure.
GD
george_dingwall
Dec 16, 2006
Hi Dave,

I don’t have autorestart set to on. The failures that I have had, have not caused a bluescreen. The sytem just immediately freezes and nothing works. The only option is to press the computer on switch for more than 4 seconds to force it to shudown. I then restart and it comes back up normally.

I have recently fitted a new graphics card and have downloaded the latest driver for it before I installed it. I have also updated the Bios to the latest available from Dell withing the last few months.

I don’t know enough about the inner working of the computer to know much about process isolation and such, but if my computer crashes while I’m doing something in CS3, then I think it reasonable to say that CS3 crashed my computer. Non of my other programs have caused this to happen.

Anyway, it is obviously not a major problem, and the 3 crashes I have now had whlie using CS3 have all seemed to be caused by different things. Non of them have repeated exactly. I concede that there may be some underlying hardwar conflict that CS3 is bumping into from time to time. I have a lot of hardware connected to my computer, and unless it becomes a major problem, I’m not going to worry too much about it.

I’m much more worried about CS3 taking almost 5 times longer to open a jpeg file than CS2.

Bye for now.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 16, 2006
Have you checked the Events log?
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 16, 2006
I repeat: Applications CANNOT crash your machine. Really. It’s true.

A bug in your video card driver COULD crash your machine when applications try to use the driver.

You should report this in the Photoshop CS3 beta forum, with lots of details about your video card and driver version.
Then we can try to get the video card maker to fix the driver bugs.

And did you turn on the "open JPEGs in ACR" option? That might take longer.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 17, 2006
then I think it reasonable to say that CS3 crashed my computer.

nope. that’s not reasonable, even though it sounds like it should be. what’s happening is cs3 (like versions of photoshop going back for years and years) are taxing parts of your system that no other program you own touches. it’s merely exposing the problem. not causing it.

A bug in your video card driver COULD crash your machine when applications try to use the driver.

right. i know chris knows but for george’s info, some very low level drivers – that can run at or below the os level (i.e. video, sound, some disk drives) can also lock up or restart the box. but it’s rare. i only saw that once right after xp came out with a REALLY buggy creative labs sound driver. within 2 days CL released a fix. i think you’d KNOW if it was a buggy vid driver unless cs3 is doing some really funky stuff with the vid cards.

(hmm.. come to think of it, are you guys hitting the gpu for processing now? or is that only in vista?)

and it couldn’t hurt to check for new vid card drivers again george. if there was a major bug in one, the big manufacturers are usually pretty good at getting out a quick fix or calling for a driver roll-back until a fix is done.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 17, 2006
Nope no GPU yet.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 17, 2006
there’s a little blurb in the cs2 preferences along the lines of "no gpu options under xp" that made me think of it. is that meant for vista? or maybe osx?

I was thinking to avoid going to vista as long as possible…
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 17, 2006
In the beta forum an Adobe guy said that was going to be removed; the GPU doesn’t provide enough back-end throughput to make GPU use worthwhile.
GD
george_dingwall
Dec 17, 2006
Hi There,

From Dave Milbut

"what’s happening is cs3 (like versions of photoshop going back for years and years) are taxing parts of your system that no other program you own touches. it’s merely exposing the problem. not causing it. "

Please tell me how copying text or calling for bridge to open is likely to be "Taxing" my system.

I would have thought if that was the case, then every time i opened Bridge or copied text, then the system would crash. It doesn’t, these crashes have been random, and so far, not repeated.

I’m much more concerned with the speed of file opening.

How can CS3 possibly take five times longer to open a jpeg. I don’t have the "prefer ACR for jpeg" option checked. These are just ordinary jpeg files that open to about 5 MB. opening 48 files in CS2 takes 70 seconds, but takes 325 seconds in CS3.

That sort of problem would stop me from upgrading.

I’ve managed to get into the labs forum at last, and posted this item there. Unfortunately I now have a totally random nickname, and no apparent way to change it. Ah well, isn’t life fun.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 17, 2006
there’s a little blurb in the cs2 preferences

sorry chris. that shoulda said cs3…

Please tell me how copying text or calling for bridge to open is likely to be "Taxing" my system.

i’m not a ps engineer. i don’t know what kind of code they’re using or api’s they’re calling. i’m a programmer, but i don’t work for adobe. i’m just telling you what happens with the os, and what will and won’t cause xp to crash (as opposed to an application only crash).
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Dec 17, 2006

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections