KL
Posted By
Kenneth_Liffmann
Apr 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been trying out these various effects for some time now, but in current issue of Popular Photography there is a tutorial on enhancing night scenes with hue/saturation, colorize, etc. Nothing new so far. But the next step is new to me. Create a new layer, fill with 50% gray, set blending mode to hard light. Now apply lens flare or other lighting effects to this layer. With eraser tool can erase the lighting effect that would not be there naturally. This gives one additional control over and beyond that offered in the lighting boxes. Live and learn.
Ken

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 18, 2004
I just want to add on this subject of blending mode…

If you create a new layer with the Layer / New / Layer… Command or in the More.. Menu of the layer palette, you’ll have access to new options. Except for Normal, Dissolve, Hue, Saturation, Color and Luminosity, Photoshop Elements will offer to create a new layer with neutral color (sometimes gray, sometimes black, sometimes white).

Ray
TF
Terri_Foster
Apr 18, 2004
Actually Kenn this is an excellant workaround for making up for Element’s lack of Fade control which is present in Full Photoshop. You can use this layer to vary any filter’s affect by applying your filter to this neutral layer then varying it’s opacity and blend mode. You would be supprised at how much this improves many filters.

Terri
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Apr 18, 2004
Ray and Terri,
Thanks for your input. After I read it, I tried it out and was impressed. That is why I posted it here.
Ken
TF
Terri_Foster
Apr 18, 2004
Sorry about the two n’s I think I was between writing Ken and Kenneth. Try out pulling gradients on these neutral layers too. It adds more flexibility than gradient mapping does since you can pull different types of gradients…not just an overall deal. A soft eraser at low opacity can also be effectively deployed on this layer to selectively reduce gradient effects on a targeted area.

Terri
TF
Terri_Foster
Apr 18, 2004
Ken- Whoops post 4 disreguard. Had a Terri overkill momment. (You don’t need 50% gray layer to do the gradients.) Thought I’d point out my overkill momment before someone else did. One of these days I’m going to have to learn not to let my fingers ramble…or at least let my brain catch up to what they are doing.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections