TF
Posted By
Tony_Fraley
Apr 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just recently bought one of these to replace an Epson 785 EPX Photo printer that bit the dust, and knowing the problems I’d had getting a *decent* color print from it, I hadn’t even tried color printing on the R300 until yesterday.

I don’t know if it has anything to do with the printer, or if I just happened to hit the right recipe in my set-up (using Mac OSX on a Flat-panel iMac), but I came away with printouts that just blew me away. I printed directly from PSE2 (like I had always done), and what amazed me the most is the fact that I’d never been able to get an acceptable print this way. In fact, the main reason for buying this particular printer was it’s ability to print directly from my camera’s (Sony DSC-F707) Memory Stick. Up until now, I figured that this would be my only option.

In truth, the color is actually just a *bit* off from what I’m seeing on my monitor, but in a good way. The prints are more vibrant than what I’m seeing on my monitor, especially when the subject is outdoors. Skin tones are a little darker on indoor portraits than I see on the screen, but that’s also okay.

So if all of this is so great, why am I writing this? I have a couple of minor issues (you knew there would be, didn’t you?) that I’m trying to figure out, and I hoped that maybe some of you Epson users might be able to steer me in the right direction.

1. I have a package of Epson Double-Sided Matte paper that was left over from the 785 EPX days, and I tried printing a photo to a sheet of this, but the printer obviously was spitting out way too much ink for this paper, since the result was a *very* blurry picture, consisting of what appeared to be large dots of ink. My printer setup only has one Matte paper listed, that being Matte Paper Heavyweight, and it doesn’t work. Epson’s website claims that this paper is compatible with the types of ink that this printer uses, but that may not be the deciding factor. My successful prints were made using their Premium Glossy Photo paper (which IS an option in the setup). Maybe the INK is compatible, but the printer ISN’T? Maybe an e-mail to Epson is in order?

2. Using PSE2 for post-editing of a photo (which for me mainly consists of tweaking the levels and contrast), once I’ve achieved the results I’m looking for, if I retouch and then print without saving the changes, will PSE2 use the changes I’ve made, or is it just printing out the original?

I apologize for the long post, but I’m finally on to something, and I want to make the best of it. If I can get this figured out, I think I’ll be there. Thanks.

Tony

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BB
brent_bertram
Apr 18, 2004
Tony,
Rumor has it that the R300 is an outstanding photo printer. I’m toying with the idea of the R800 myself, but enjoy it.<G>

Hi Beth,
New grandbaby in the family – < http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~bbertram/grandma&am p;baby.jpg> .

🙂

Brent
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 18, 2004
Brent is so busy drooling that he forgot to answer one of your questions. 🙂

Yes, if you print from your edited image, you will get the edited version. It will then be up to you to decide whether or not you want to save those changes and make them a permanent part of the image file. A simple way to test this is to open a new (large) canvas and move a couple of different pictures on to it. Save that file, then reopen it, and substitute one image with a different one but don’t save anything. When you print, you’ll get the newly added picture.
MP
Marilyn_Pot
Apr 18, 2004
I also am toying with the new R300 (but see it is hard to buy right now). Tell me what you get that is better on the R800? I wish there were sites that would discuss the bad and good features of printers. Most places I go into just want to sell their product. Just curious as to what printer is good for both pictures and regular printing. Some people say you cannot print a decent letter and so forth. How is the R300 doing at the capability?
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 18, 2004
Marilyn,
My take on the Photo printers are that they tend not to do as well printing black text as the general purpose printers. I have both a laser ( actually 3 lasers, but who’s counting <G> ) and a photo inkjet. There are some good reviews on inkjets ( and cameras, too, for that matter ) at <http://www.steves-digicams.com/printers.html> .
The R800 , if you read the review, has a revolutionary new ink system ( pigmented and similar to the Epson 2200 ) and apparently does a great job ( better at some things than the Epson 2200 ) .

🙂

Brent
TF
Tony_Fraley
Apr 18, 2004
Marilyn,

I’ve so far not seen what the big deal with text is. I’ve seen the remarks about the quality also, but I really can’t see what everyone’s talking about. I’ve printed text documents from a word processor, pages from websites, and honestly, the printouts look as good as anything I’ve seen before. Granted, we’re talking about an inkjet here, so it’s not going to be as good as a laser printer, but still…

As far as comparisons with the R800, I’m not really qualified to answer that since I’ve never used one. All I can tell you is that I am getting some incredible prints from the 300, and if the 800 is any better, then it would be unbeatable as far as I’m concerned.

Tony
JO
john_o_anderson
Apr 18, 2004
Tony,
I also use an R300 Photo printer, with outstanding results but ONLY when using the genuine epson photo paper. I have tryed other brands but the colours are not so vibrant then with the Epson paper. As for using the Matt paper I havn’t ventured that far yet, but suspect the results will be simular. Note I only use the R300 for photo printing I still use my old Stylus 600 for leters and general printing mainly due to the cost of replacement cartridges.
LM
Lou_M
Apr 18, 2004
Tony,

Count me in as a fellow Epson 300 owner. Great printer, indeed! Just about everything looks fabulous with it. I use Epson Premium Bright White paper for non-photo printing, and Epson Matte Paper Heavyweight for photo printing. Never thought I’d use matte paper for photo printing, but many people at the local photo club do it and it does look nice. Well, that and the fact that a big box of HP glossy photo paper ended up curling on me so it’s very hard to feed in the printer.

I’ve done a few printable CDs and DVDs, too, and they come out very crisp. Very low contrast and saturation for photos as many folks will tell you, but text is very sharp.

The first time I printed a CD, it came out fine but the following pages came out with ink on the edge. I chalked that up to my misfeeding the CD or something, because subsequently I haven’t had that problem repeat itself.

Enjoy!

Lou.
RP
Rich Powell
Apr 20, 2004
I also am toying with the new R300 (but see it is hard to buy right now).
Tell me what you get that is better on the R800? I wish there were sites that would discuss the bad and good features of printers. Most places I go into just want to sell their product. Just curious as to what printer is good for both pictures and regular printing. Some people say you cannot print a decent letter and so forth. How is the R300 doing at the capability?

Probably the best place I have seen is the printer forums at Digital Photography Review. People there have plenty of opinions and I’m sure you can get just about any question about it answered.

Here is the url:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1003
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 20, 2004
I have an old Epson Stylus Photo 780, and I was having trouble getting good color rendition with the paper I was using. I switched to Epson Matte Paper Heavyweight and have never used anything else since…well, I bought some of the double-sided Matte, for printing Christmas cards, and it’s also great. I had always preferred glossy prints, but I really like the matte finish, and the colors are terrific.
Bert
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 20, 2004
I’m sorry I can’t get past the " Epson 785 EPX Photo printer that bit the dust "..that’s what I am using !!!!! Help…please don’t let this happen to me anytime soon. …decent prints ? I think a little better 😉
MP
Marilyn_Pot
Apr 21, 2004
Thanks for the encouragement of getting a Epson R300. I am sure the 800 would be a lot better but the price on the Epson R300 is really a good deal. I am going to still hook-up my old HP932 to do letters and e-mails and keep the new one for pictures and other projects.

Could any of you tell me which is the best way to get the paper for the new printer. Apparently it is recommended to use their paper. I never had that problem with my hp as I could use any paper. The stores around hear usally has hp paper. We have an office max and office depot but I never see Epson paper. Apparently many of you get it from the Internet.
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 21, 2004
Marilyn,
I’ve gotten both Epson Prem Glossy and Heavyweight Matte paper at our OfficeMax. They have some listed on their web site, perhaps a better selection is available if you ask.

I have also purchased the Matte paper from <http://www.buy.com> if they have a special offer. It comes in a 50 sheet package, so a couple of them go a long way.
We have Best Buy, Compusa, OfficeMax, Staples, and Circuit city locally, so there’s plenty of choices.

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 21, 2004
Brent, aren’t you lucky…my ‘local’ STAPLES shut down a few weeks back. Now I have to ‘travel’ about 40 min one way to get paper and ink….grrrrrrr….however, i did travel last week for ink and found the ink to be alot fresher than what I had previously been purchasing at my local store. It was made in 2 ’04 ( Utility>Epson status monitor>info) and has a 1 ’07 expiration date(on the box). So, I guess I should be happy. Only wish I had the variety of stores you have nearby.
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 21, 2004
Also have a Sam’s club on the other side of town. I had a bad experience buying ink there, so I don’t anymore. They had a great price on the Ilford Gallerie Gloss paper, though. It’s not at all shabby.

🙂

Brent
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 21, 2004
Marilyn, even for your HP you would be amazed how much better the results are when you use HP paper, especially the premium photo papers. Have to agree with Brent, I’ve never seen an office depot, office max or staples that didn’t carry more Epson photo papers than any other brand. Now for my canon printer, that’s a different story.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 21, 2004
Living in southern CA, I have so many sources for ink and paper I can’t count them. Staples and Office Depot are close, Fry’s is about three miles away. I buy most of my ink and paper at Fry’s which has a great selection of Epson and HP paper, as well as some no-name cheapo stuff that isn’t that bad…how about 20 sheets (8×10) glossy 20 weight for $1.99?
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 21, 2004
Brent, re:illford paper…ya, I got to get some !!!! Every time I have a few extra bucks I don’t think of paper ( I should )…I guess ‘feeding kids’ is more of a priority…darn 🙂
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 21, 2004
Kids are better off raised skinny, anyway, Jodi <G> .

🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 21, 2004
ya you are right…I wish ! 🙂

anyways, I think the prices went up since the last time I checked for ilford paper…seems people like Brent are making it famous 😉

Amazon < http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3D blended%26field-keywords%3Dilford%252520paper/103-6721760-74 38230>
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 21, 2004
Oh I meant to say…check out the ‘photos of the week’ in link i posted. Check out ‘thinking’ ( b&w with tone girl)….looks kind of ‘soft’…do you think this was the look he/she was after ?…or do you think the compression did it ?
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 21, 2004
The pile of Ilford paper at Sam’s continues to go down. My guess is that it was a one-time buy. I bought some Ilford Pearl at Amazon.com and like it better than the gloss. Oddly, enough, I still print mostly on Matte paper for myself, but gloss for visitors.

🙂
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 22, 2004
Oddly, enough, I still print mostly on Matte paper for myself, but gloss for visitors

Me too, Brent. I have "discovered" Epson Matte Heavyweight and that’s what I use most of the time now.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 22, 2004
I only use my matte when i have nothing else…IT SUCKS INK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 22, 2004
Bert and I are old rich guys, we got lots o’ ink !

🙂
MP
Marilyn_Pot
Apr 22, 2004
I really appreciate the input on paper and printers. It has been a lot more helpful than anywhere else on the internet. I did not realize that using their brand made a difference. Will stick with their brand when I buy my printer. I am also looking into a new scanner too. Mine is old. I want to put slides on my machine so what would you guys suggest. I have been making a lot of collages of pictures from my photo elements program and want to do the same with old slide pictures.
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 22, 2004
I’ll talk about slides! First, how many do you have? There are a few of us on the forum who had a lot we wanted to scan, and even using some of the new, fast scanners that will handle slides is still mightly slow and cumbersome. If you have a large number to scan, you may want to check out the Minolta Dimage IV, which is a dedicated slide scanner.

If you either don’t want to invest in a separate scanner for slides or can’t afford that expenditure in addition to a flatbed, you might want to check out the Epson 3200s and Epson 4870s. The 4870 is the newer one and scans at a little higher resolution than the 3200, and it also includes the Digital Ice software. Of course it’s also a little more expensive than what you’d pay for a 3200. I bought a 3200 Pro just before the 4870 was introduced, and I really love it.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 23, 2004
Bert and I are old rich guys, we got lots o’ ink !

Brent,
First of all, I don’t feel old.
Second, I am NOT rich…but wish I were.
Third, I HATE buying those damn ink cartridges!
🙂
Bert
TF
Tony_Fraley
Apr 23, 2004
I’m sorry I can’t get past the " Epson 785 EPX Photo printer that bit the dust "..that’s what I am using !!!!! Help…please don’t let this happen to me anytime soon. …decent prints ? I think a little better.

Jodi,

Like I said, it was probably more of a reflection of my abilities that caused me to get poor prints from the 785 than anything caused by the printer. It just amazed me that after the problems I’d previously had that I could get the type of prints I was looking for using the R300.

And I really wonder if my 785 is even dead; I’m now thinking that it may have something to do with the fact that I was trying to print text just using the black cartridge with an empty color cartridge in the machine. I don’t recall at the moment if this can be a problem with Epson printers (or any brand, for that matter), but it seems odd that it just quit printing, yet the Printer Utility showed that I had communication between the printer and the computer. I ran through the troubleshooting part of the guide, and was never able to print out a test page. Dependent on the color cartridge, perhaps?

Tony
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 23, 2004
And I really wonder if my 785 is even dead; I’m now thinking that it may have something to do with the fact that I was trying to print text just using the black cartridge with an empty color cartridge in the machine

My 780 won’t let me do that, which is very frustrating. Did you replace the color cartridge and it still would not print?
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 23, 2004
Tony, as a matter of fact, MY 785 wont let me print black if the color is empty. I suggest you buy some new fresh ink, uninstall and re-install and then go through your utilites and clean the heads and align. If you can….if you have capacities to run 2 printers. I remember getting a lousy print way back when I bought some paper (premium gloss ) that wasn’t Epson…big mistake. Other than that I have absolutely no complaints. I planned on upgrading but waiting for a new Epson wide format…13 X 19 would be nice.
MP
Marilyn_Pot
Apr 23, 2004
Thanks for the input on scanners. Yes, I have a lot of old slides which go back quite a few years. Just want to get them on a cd to save for future reference and doing some work with them on my photo elements. Did find paper at the stores but do not find a selection of ink for the R300. Many of the stores like "Best Buy" are out of most of the most common colors for the R300. Was surprised that they cannot keep a stock of them on hand. This could give me a problem unless I can get it from the Internet.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 23, 2004
I remember getting a lousy print way back when I bought some paper (premium gloss ) that wasn’t Epson…big mistake

Jodi,
I had the same experience with my 780…Kodak Premium Glossy…lousy prints, flat colors, greens were grayish. I switched to Epson Matte Heavyweight, and the difference was astounding. Anybody want two boxes of Kodak Premium Glossy? Cheap?
Bert
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 23, 2004
That Kodak Premium Glossy works great on HP printers. How you gonna figure ? I think the HP’s are the most forgiving printers, but for photo quality , my money’s on Epson.

🙂
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 23, 2004
I think the HP’s are the most forgiving printers, but for photo quality , my money’s on Epson

Yup, that’s been my experience too, Brent. We have an HP 5650 for general printing use, and it will just about print on anything but maybe toilet paper. But the Epson…even the cheapo 780 that I have is much better for photos.
Bert
TF
Tony_Fraley
Apr 24, 2004
Bert and Jodi,

No, I didn’t buy another color cartridge to replace the empty one, mainly because I was too cheap to waste the money if the printer was indeed dead. But now that I know that this could be a factor, I may just pick one up. At least I’m happy with the new printer, so I don’t feel bad about buying it, and I DEFINITELY like the fact that I’m now getting 6 inks instead of 4.

Might not be a bad thing having both of them running at the same time, though. OS X should allow that with no problems, I believe. Thanks for the info.

Tony
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Apr 24, 2004
No, I didn’t buy another color cartridge to replace the empty one, mainly because I was too cheap to waste the money if the printer was indeed dead

Tony,
That’s not cheap…just smart. I recently had an old HP printer die, and I had a shelf full of ink cartridges for it. Fortunately, my local Fry’s took them back. Now, I no longer stock up on printer cartridges. Ya never know…
Bert

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections