JD
Posted By
Jack_David_Edwards
Aug 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently moved to an iMac from using a windows computer. And on the install disk I cant find anything to install on it for the mac, just an .exe file. Do I have to rebuy the product to install it on my iMac?

please help

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 14, 2008
You bought a Windows license for Photoshop. In order to use it urgently on the Mac, you need to install Windows.

Otherwise, you need to do a crossgrade to a Mac license. This is done by contacting Adobe customer service and waiting for the process.

Search for ‘crossgrade’ in this forum for more discussion.
CB
charles badland
Aug 14, 2008
You can get what is called a "cross grade". It involves documenting you have destroyed your Windows version of Photoshop plus a minimal charge for the Mac software. Call Adobe customer support. Some here have reported some support reps do not know about this, so be insistent.

You can also load Winodws OS on your new Mac and run Photoshop through BootCamp or Paraells.
JD
Jack_David_Edwards
Aug 14, 2008
I tried installing windows with the disk that came with the old computer, but it just stayed as a black desktop with nothing, no documents section or anyhting, and it wouldnt set up to the internet, so i couldnt do anything with it, so the only way I could sort is to buy a new windows which I cant afford
JP
jean_p
Aug 14, 2008
you can’t just install Windows like you do on a PC.

To install Windows, use Boot Camp Assistant, which is in the Utilities folder in the applications folder on your Mac hard drive.

this requires an Intel Mac and 10.5.x

Something you may want to do first is download the 30 day Mac trial of Photoshop, and give it a whirl. You may want to run Photoshop Mac-native instead of under Windows. This will give you a little time to decide if you would rather do a cross-grade.
JD
Jack_David_Edwards
Aug 14, 2008
I used bootcamp, and I followed all the instructions on it and i think it was just my windows copy, but I think its so stupid why adobe make you pay to use a product that ive already payed for. They wonder why people always download stuff illegally instead of paying for it…
JM
J_Maloney
Aug 14, 2008
That’s what Jesus said, sir.
CB
charles badland
Aug 14, 2008
What did Adobe customer say about the cost of a cross-grade? My understanding is if it is the current version (CS3) it is minimal, like 10 or 20 dollars. You can also cross upgrade… where you pay the normal upgrade cost for the newer product.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 14, 2008
I think its so stupid why adobe make you pay to use a product that ive already payed for.

You paid for a Windows product and a license. A cross grade does not mean you are paying for a new license. You are only paying for Mac installation media (another disc). You never had Mac installation media so can’t claim you already paid or payed for it.

Oh, yeah… welcome to Mac. Enjoy the ride. 🙂
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 14, 2008
Jack,

In addition to the comments about Photoshop licensing (and most other applications you’re likely to encounter) being platform-based, you can’t legally install a Windows OS seat unless you have a valid license for that installation either — the same as installing any OS natively, Win or Mac.

Another way to look at it is as the intellectual property it is. If you license one of your photographs (another form of intellectual property) for a specific use by client A, and you find that either client A is using it contrary to the restrictions on your licence agreement, or if you find out that he gave it to non-client B, and you are not reaping any financial benefit from this, are you just gonna let that happen?

Neil
JD
Jack_David_Edwards
Aug 14, 2008
well, 3 of my friends have downloaded photoshop cs3 and cs2 onto their windows computer for free and have had no problems, and another has downloaded it onto their mac and used it for free wiht no problems, so tbh I dont see much point in paying for a product which seems so small and unnecessary to pay for when it can be simply put up on the site for download for free, IF someone has proof that theyve purchased the windows version already.

Thanx for your time…
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 15, 2008
<sigh>
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 15, 2008
Jack,

well, 3 of my friends have downloaded photoshop cs3 and cs2 onto their windows computer for free

You and your friends are pirates — just the sort of people that Adobe’s legal department loves to chase after.

If this is your attitude and practice, you are, plain and simple not welcome here. And you have the chutzpah (look it up) to actually admit that on Adobe System’s own Website?

<lol>

Neil
G
graffiti
Aug 15, 2008
Believe it or not, you and your friends are pirates for the theft of intellectual property.

And to add to that, how much do you really trust the potentially malicious application you all downloaded from a fellow pirate that you don’t know.

Hmmmmmmm?
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 15, 2008
As a general note, much illegally downloaded/pirated software is flawed, is incomplete, contains viruses, worms or other malware that can compromise your computer and your personal identity. And it comes with no support. Aside from the legal and ethical issues, consider every download of illegal software a spin of the barrel while playing Russian roulette. Except with Russian roulette, you probably have better odds.

This is not to scare you, Jack. It’s just the truth.

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 15, 2008
This is not to scare you, Jack. It’s just the truth.

%lt;g>

Freely downloaded apps do not fund anything.

While I am a fully licensed user of my own apps, my type of work exposes me to many of these pirated apps. I have yet to see any malicious code packed in them.

But the whole issue of piracy in this thread is silly. Jack only needs to spend some lunch money to get the Mac media. In the grand picture, the minimal cost of a crossgrade is cheaper than getting pirated software (even for free).
CB
charles badland
Aug 15, 2008
Jack only needs to spend some lunch money to get the Mac media.

I’m guessing Jack may be having problems verifying that he owns a legit version of Windows Photoshop needed for a crossgrade.
Just a hunch.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 15, 2008
Jim,

Freely downloaded apps do not fund anything.

I never said it did.

But the whole issue of piracy in this thread is silly.

The issue of piracy in these forums is never considered "silly". The OP opened the topic to this subject. He was given appropriate responses.

As far as malware embedded in pirated software, it is a common occurrence. And one may reasonably not know that there is indeed malware, particularly of the type that seeks out personal information on your computer for transmission back to a database.

But, absolutely, I agree with you that the cost of a crossgrade is certainly fair to allow for a software swap. At this point, I do agree with Charles that the OP may not have a legal Photoshop/Win license or we wouldn’t be hearing so loud a protest.

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 15, 2008
The issue of piracy in these forums is never considered "silly".

I never said it was.

The issue of piracy is silly in this thread.

I would not suspect Jack is using a bogus license. There appears to be a greater crime going on but it would be inappropriate for me to mention it. 🙂
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 15, 2008
Jim,

I’m not going to belabor the fine points about whether it is this thread or the forums in general: software piracy issues are never silly.

Neil
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 15, 2008
A thread like this, with the response the poster gave, is like graffiti, therefore, I vote that it be deleted rather than being kept here for others to read.

Just my opinion,

Thanks,

Ken
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 15, 2008
Perhaps there was a miscommunication.

"But the whole issue of piracy in this thread (instead of simply crossgrading) is silly"

I don’t see any labor.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections