PC
Posted By
Paul_Cutler
Aug 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just received a Bitmap logo – just a black logo on a white background. There is only a background layer.

The weird thing is you can move the black logo around with the move tool, like it is a separate layer.

So the question is, how do you use this? If you convert to grayscale (which is the only step I can take to prepare it for print), it flattens it. Basically I’m wondering if it’s possible to get this into my cmyk layout as a layer, which it behaves like, without flattening the file and then getting it selected, yadda yadda yadda…

Thoughts?

pbc

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Aug 14, 2008
Looks like you can do that with a bitmap. Just drag & drop into your cmyk doc, then change the layer to multiply.
PC
Paul_Cutler
Aug 14, 2008
I didn’t explain very well – it’s Bitmap color mode, saved as a tif. It cannot be dragged into a cmyk doc, wrong bit depth. Luckily it’s big enough to do a clean selection so it will work, I was just mystified when you could move the logo around without it being a separate layer.

pbc
B
Buko
Aug 14, 2008
change to grayscale

magic wand to select the black

Copy

Paste into the black channel
PC
Paul_Cutler
Aug 15, 2008
Got that (although my method differs a tiny bit), I just never noticed that when in Bitmap mode something acts like it’s a separate layer, it’s movable. Weird – I created another bitmap file and it acts the same way. Is this some new behavior in CS3?

pbc
DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 15, 2008
Hmm. Never noticed that either. I actually don’t get what’s happening. The layer is marked as locked. And it’s not the entire canvas that moves when you drag, just the object. Anyone know how to explain this?
B
Buko
Aug 15, 2008
I don’t remember this behavior and I have not used bit map lately.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections