LH
Posted By
Laura_Hunter
Apr 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I bought the Photoshop Elements and Album 2.0 hoping that it would make my life easier when putting our team photos together for school. Here is the problem: I need to change the backgrounds in all the photos and no matter how many times I try, I can’t seem to do it right. I also need to print all the students names. The photo will be on a 8×10 photo sheet. The photo itself will be approximately 6×10 so that all the names can fit at the bottom of the page. I can not seem to make this work either. I have never considered myself a quitter, however, I am at my wits end. Can someone please help me? Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

LC
Lady_Cee
Apr 18, 2004
I’m throwing this question in here because when I click ‘Back to Topics’ nothing shows up to tell me start a new discussion….that is frustrating….

My problem is, when I select my Type tool, I was having no problem using it. Out of nowhere, when I type letters now, nothing shows up. The guide bar will move along as I type, but no letters are showing up! Does anyone know why?
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 18, 2004
Are you typing white on white?

Mac
SR
Schraven_Robert
Apr 18, 2004
I think we have two questions in one here.

Laura, learning how to work photoshop is not an easy feat, I mean most people take more than an afternoon to learn the features and the tricks. So please do not dispair.

Secondly removing a background is not easy for starters. Could you explain what you have done so far to change the background? We can deal with the wording after that as that is in comparison an easy task as is the enlargement of the image size to put the wording below the image.

Please tell us if you copied the original and created layers then selected for instance the background and copied it to a separate layer, etc.
Once you informed us a bit more about your actions we then can start to give you advice on how to proceed.

Robert
LC
Lady_Cee
Apr 18, 2004
No. It doesn’t matter what colors I’m using or what I’m trying to type on. Nothing shows up. 🙁

The first sign of a problem was when I tried to place type on a wallpaper I made. No matter what size type I wanted the little guide bar was about the size of a very small flea, and there was no type. Today, when I tried, the guide bar is back to it’s normal size, depending on what size I click, but nothing’s there.
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Apr 18, 2004
Laura —
Addressing your second problem (having space for text), you need to use the Resize tool under the Image menu. Go to Image>Resize>Canvas Size. The dialog box there allows you to increase the size of the area on which you can work.
Bob Warren
PD
Pete_D
Apr 18, 2004
Laura,

You are asking more than one question here but the solution is not that complicated, just several steps, and honestly hundreds of ways to do it. But I hate to see your original post go unanswered so…… (if you are already done just ignore this:)

First the pictures should all be a consistant size and resolution. Resolution should be at least 250.

The background you want to chage; is this just for consistancy to isolate the faces of people? If so it would be simpler for you to use the Oval selection tool with the feather set to about 15 and delete (most of) the current background.

Just right click on the rectangular marquee tool (top left in the tool bar), and click on elliptical tool then go to the picture and make the selection. Set the ‘feather’ by looking at the tool options just above the picture screen and just below the tool icons…..then go to "Select / Inverse" and then hit the delete key and then "save this new file". That should make the work of isolating the individual pictures and easy task and you will have a nice picture of the faces or upper bodies with a vignette.

Now you can open a new canvas and size it to 8 x 10 and set resolution to 250. Make the background you want or if you have a specific background already just open it. Then open the vignetted pictures one at a time and "drag" them on to this background canvas.

If you need clarification of anything or additional help just post again.

Pete

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections