resize individual shapes to a specified size?

J
Posted By
JunkMailer
Aug 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there,

Does anyone know of a way, by script, action or other means of resizing an individual shape or path to a specified dimension in inches (or any other unit of measurement) without drawing the shape externally in Illustrator and bringing it back into PS or without opening a new doc at the desired size and copy/pasting back into your first document.

I’ve never really considered this as a problem to be solved until a co-worker asked me how to do it. The two solutions above were my only replies to this question. Have I missed some other solution that uses ONLY PS CS3?

Thanks,
-JM

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Aug 13, 2008
You can also use command T and adjust the path or object to the exact size you want.
P
Phosphor
Aug 13, 2008
That’s true, Buko.

But what may disappoint the newcomer is finding out that the resizing will be based on the size of the rectangular bounding box that surrounds the selected shape or path.

So if you have a 100px square that’s rotated, the bounding box is going to report a different, larger size. You’d have to measure, check the angle "de-rotate" to perpendicular, and then make a change.

Some things just aren’t as easy as we’d like them to be, and we have to do the work.
J
JunkMailer
Aug 13, 2008
So is it possible to specify an exact size using Free Transform (CMD+T)? Or are you just scaling while watching the size in the info panel?

Ideally, I was looking for an input field where I could simply type a measurement for a rectangle, similar to the fields found in Illustrator at the top of the screen when a shape is selected. Or, even better, when you click on the artboard with the rectangle tool in Illustrator and you are prompted to enter dimensions.

Thanks,
-JM
P
Phosphor
Aug 13, 2008
It’s relatively easy to start out making a shape at a specified size. It’s the accurate transforming after the fact that can be more difficult.

When you have your desired Custom Shape Tool selected, look at the little drop down menu at the right end of the row. You’ll be able to specify values there.
J
JunkMailer
Aug 13, 2008
Ahh… Exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks! (also thanks to Buko)
-JM

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections