JK
Posted By
JP Kabala
Mar 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There is a variant on the Beagle worm floating about and Norton is NOT catching it, even if your definitions are completely up to date.

If you receive an e-mail with some sort of bogus warning and a .zip attachment
with an .exe inside, and the e-mail says that you’ll need a provided password
to open the attachment, trash it unopened.

I just got one that looked like it was from my web hosting company– I’m a suspicious sort, so I scanned it and it came up clean, but I still didn’t trust it, so I called my host. It did not come from them.

I’ve submitted the file to Symantec, but it will probably take 24-48 hours for them to get a cure out there

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CO
Carol Ott
Mar 3, 2004
I got one of those yesterday and sent a response saying I don’t accept e-mail attachments from strangers. The message was odd — something to do with graphic design, but it had a zip file attached, and the e-mail address didn’t seem right.

The e-mail didn’t bounce back, but I blacklisted them just in case.

Carol

"JP Kabala" wrote in message
There is a variant on the Beagle worm floating about and Norton is NOT catching it, even if your definitions are completely up to date.

I just got one that looked like it was from my web hosting company– I’m a suspicious sort, so I scanned it and it came up clean, but I still didn’t trust it, so I called my host. It did not come from them.
I’ve submitted the file to Symantec, but it will probably take 24-48 hours for them to get a cure out there

RM
Rastin Mehr
Mar 3, 2004
Another Windows worm? Yaawwwn!

(back to work)

Rastin

JP Kabala wrote:

Rastin Mehr
—————————————————
rmd Studio
http://www.rmdStudio.com
http://www.netphotography.com (New site)
—————————————————
"Great spirits, have always encountered violent
opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein
EG
Eric Gill
Mar 3, 2004
Rastin Mehr wrote in
news:fLd1c.671743$X%:

(back to work)

My reaction, too.

Of course, not being an Outlook user has proven just as effective as not having a Windows box.
T
tina
Mar 3, 2004
"JP Kabala" wrote in message

Not sure if you are hosted with us…but yes, something with our name (and other hosts) is going around. I’m about to send out a warning to all of our customers. The @#%* thing looks JUST like something we might send out, except we would NEVER send out an email with a file attachment.

Again, if you get an attachment that says you need a password to open it…delete it, unopened, ASAP!

–Tina

http://www.AffordableHOST.com – since 1997
Problems with your current host?
We honor up to 6 months of their contract.
See our site for complete details.
CO
Carol Ott
Mar 3, 2004
Does it help if you don’t use Outlook? I dumped it as my mail program.

Carol

"Rastin Mehr" wrote in message

(back to work)

Rastin
RM
Rastin Mehr
Mar 3, 2004
Yes, if they don’t self execute. I don’t think if this one does. Most of the viruses and worms activate because some uninformed user double clicks on them.

I actually got one in my mailbox today, I just dumped it. But even if I would double click it couldn’t run on my machine. I’m not using Windows.

Rastin

Carol Ott wrote:
Does it help if you don’t use Outlook? I dumped it as my mail program.
Carol

"Rastin Mehr" wrote in message

(back to work)

Rastin

Rastin Mehr
—————————————————
rmd Studio
http://www.rmdStudio.com
http://www.netphotography.com (New site)
—————————————————
"Great spirits, have always encountered violent
opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections