T3
Posted By
ti_383
Dec 11, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a PC Windows XP operating system with Photoshop 7. I currently have the computer set up for two login ID’s (for two users). When I log in on one of the user ID’s Photoshop 7 will not start. It does not give me any errors. It will run the basic start screen and then immediately closes itself. The strange thing is that the program will still work when you log in and open it under the second user ID. It was working fine until this past week. I have completely un-installed the program and then re-installed it, and I still cannot get it to open in the one User ID Login. Anyone have any suggestions?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 11, 2006
Usually when things suddenly start going wrong that is a clue to Trash/Reset Preferences. Procedure is in the FAQs and Help.

Reinstalling typically fixes nothing in these cases because the old Preferences file is retained.
P
Phosphor
Dec 11, 2006
Also, if it works under one user account, but not another, then you must look at other differences between the 2 accounts.

Do both accounts have the exact same access to the same fonts? The same color profiles? The same brushes, shapes, gradients, layer styles, plugins, etc?

These items can be accessed through either making a full copy of the files for each user account, or they can be pointed to in one account by proxy through an alias (what’s an aliased file called under the Windows OS again? I forget…) to the actual files in the other account. Even that is a "Maybe" depending on the permissions set up for both accounts.

The point is, there’s something different between user accounts; that much is obvious. Make sure you ditch the Photoshop preferences for both accounts before you continue troubleshooting.

If you can’t figure it out, then maybe you might want to just completely get rid of the troublesome account and create an entirely new one to replace it.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 11, 2006
Alias = Shortcut
T3
ti_383
Dec 13, 2006
Worked like a charm. Thank you so much for your expertise, it is greatly appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections