EL
Posted By
Earl Lewis
Dec 10, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been using Photoshop5 for several years. Yeah yeah, I know it’s old, but it does everything I want, and I’d hate to learn a new version. This afternoon I wanted to use the Type tool to type a caption into an image. Before this, the letters always appeared in the picture (a .jpg) as I typed. This time they did not. And the very first character I typed didn’t even show up in the Type window, until I typed a second letter. I scrounged thru PS5 for some option that I’d accidently screwed up, but couldn’t find anything. Grasping at straws, I remembered I’d install a new version of the MicroSoft TweakUI – the powertools thing, recently (I was following a suggestion to get rid of the AutoPlay window when I mounted a drive, it didn’t help). So… I uninstalled TweakUI, without even looking for something that looked like it could have affected PhotoShop. (Oh yes, there appeared to be 2 instances of TweakUI in the AddRemovePrograms list.) Presto, my PS5 Type tool started working. Anyone else ever seen this problem? Know a setting in TweakUI that would cause it?
Remove no_spam to reply email

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MH
Mike Hyndman
Dec 10, 2006
"Earl Lewis" wrote in message
I’ve been using Photoshop5 for several years. Yeah yeah, I know it’s old, but it does everything I want, and I’d hate to learn a new version. This afternoon I wanted to use the Type tool to type a caption into an image. Before this, the letters always appeared in the picture (a .jpg) as I typed. This time they did not. And the very first character I typed didn’t even show up in the Type window, until I typed a second letter. I scrounged thru PS5 for some option that I’d accidently screwed up, but couldn’t find anything. Grasping at straws, I remembered I’d install a new version of the MicroSoft TweakUI – the powertools thing, recently (I was following a suggestion to get rid of the AutoPlay window when I mounted a drive, it didn’t help). So… I uninstalled TweakUI, without even looking for something that looked like it could have affected PhotoShop. (Oh yes, there appeared to be 2 instances of TweakUI in the AddRemovePrograms list.) Presto, my PS5 Type tool started working. Anyone else ever seen this problem? Know a setting in TweakUI that would cause it?

Earl,

TweakUI can cause all sorts of problems with PS, usually associated with file associations or missing help. You have been lucky in regaining the use of your type tool as normally any changes made by TUI will stay changed unless restored via TUI, unistalling TUI will not normally regain your functionality. TeakUI is NOT supported by Microsoft for a reason.

You are not using Spyware Doctor by any chance? This can see the type tool as "keyboard logging" and prevents it functioning.

HTH
MH
EL
Earl Lewis
Dec 11, 2006
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:58:06 -0000, "Mike Hyndman" <tell me yours and I’ll send > wrote:

Earl,

TweakUI can cause all sorts of problems with PS, usually associated with file associations or missing help. You have been lucky in regaining the use of your type tool as normally any changes made by TUI will stay changed unless restored via TUI, unistalling TUI will not normally regain your functionality. TeakUI is NOT supported by Microsoft for a reason.
You are not using Spyware Doctor by any chance? This can see the type tool as "keyboard logging" and prevents it functioning.
HTH
MH
Thanks for the info. Dunno if it’s screwed up anything else in PS5 but the Type Tool seems to be working anyway. Matter of fact I do run SpyWareDr, but usually only run it for short durations to scan the system because it is a fair pain in the ass. So I don’t think I ever used it at the same time as PS5
MH
Mike Hyndman
Dec 11, 2006
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:58:06 -0000, "Mike Hyndman" <tell me yours and I’ll send > wrote:

Earl,

TweakUI can cause all sorts of problems with PS, usually associated with file associations or missing help. You have been lucky in regaining the use
of your type tool as normally any changes made by TUI will stay changed unless restored via TUI, unistalling TUI will not normally regain your functionality. TeakUI is NOT supported by Microsoft for a reason.
HTH
MH
Thanks for the info. Dunno if it’s screwed up anything else in PS5 but the Type Tool seems to be working anyway. Matter of fact I do run SpyWareDr, but usually only run it for short durations to scan the system because it is a fair pain in the ass. So I don’t think I ever used it at the same time as PS5
Earl,

You don’t have to,run it, does it not sit in the background looking for suspicious activity?
SWD were aware of the problem their product caused with some releases of PS and were supposed to address the problem in an upgrade, is your version up to date?

Regards

Mike H
EL
Earl Lewis
Dec 12, 2006
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:36:02 -0000, "Mike Hyndman" <tell me yours and I’ll send > wrote:

Earl,

TweakUI can cause all sorts of problems with PS, usually associated with file associations or missing help. You have been lucky in regaining the use
of your type tool as normally any changes made by TUI will stay changed unless restored via TUI, unistalling TUI will not normally regain your functionality. TeakUI is NOT supported by Microsoft for a reason.
HTH
MH
Earl,

You don’t have to,run it, does it not sit in the background looking for suspicious activity?
SWD were aware of the problem their product caused with some releases of PS and were supposed to address the problem in an upgrade, is your version up to date?

Regards

Mike H
Heh, kind of hard not to be up to date on SWD as there’s a new update daily. It DOES lurk in the background to an extent, even though you haven’t officially allowed it to ‘start’. Who the hell knows what most of this stuff does anyway, till it bites your butt someway? Remove no_spam to reply email
MH
Mike Hyndman
Dec 12, 2006
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:36:02 -0000, "Mike Hyndman" <tell me yours and I’ll send > wrote:

Earl,

You are not using Spyware Doctor by any chance? This can see the type tool
as "keyboard logging" and prevents it functioning.
HTH
MH
Earl,

SWD were aware of the problem their product caused with some releases of PS
and were supposed to address the problem in an upgrade, is your version up to date?

Regards

Mike H
Heh, kind of hard not to be up to date on SWD as there’s a new update daily. It DOES lurk in the background to an extent, even though you haven’t officially allowed it to ‘start’. Who the hell knows what most of this stuff does anyway, till it bites your butt someway?

You said it 😉

MH

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections